CFL Supplemental Draft

I don't see us starting a Canadian at safety.  Let's just slow down.  We didn't just draft a starter, and if we did, he is taking the spot of Hurl, not an American.

Not necessarily. He may be taking Bucknor or JFGs spot as a starter. Further to that, he is not taking the spot of an American, he would be allowing us to put a veteran import elsewhere in the lineup. Hurl's job is not the one on the line.

He won't play safety in the CFL.

Unless your name is Mike O'Shea or Richie Hall you are completely unqualified to make that statement.

Ed Tait @WFPEdTait 3m3 minutes ago

#Bombers GM Kyle Walters on new DB Garrett Waggoner (1): "His testing numbers are off the charts. They’re phenomenal.” #bn

1 retweet 1 favorite

Ed Tait @WFPEdTait 42s43 seconds ago

#Bombers Walters on Waggoner (2): "U put on film and he’s running around killing people. He's a unique talent/complete package for us.” #bn

Ed Tait @WFPEdTait 31s32 seconds ago

#Bombers @GarrettWaggoner was worked out by Danny McManus, trains with Nick Moore. "Super-excited to be a Bomber." #bn

I don't see us starting a Canadian at safety.  Let's just slow down.  We didn't just draft a starter, and if we did, he is taking the spot of Hurl, not an American.

Not necessarily. He may be taking Bucknor or JFGs spot as a starter. Further to that, he is not taking the spot of an American, he would be allowing us to put a veteran import elsewhere in the lineup. Hurl's job is not the one on the line.

Unless your name is Mike O'Shea or Richie Hall you are completely unqualified to make that statement.

My opinion is that he won't play safety in the CFL

Fair enough. Why?

Its hard to say how things will work out through Training Camp, it is possible to play a NAT as safety this year we have enough depth ( more than enough )

It boils down to what is best for the Team, Leggett is a very good safety so he would have to beat someone out at DB...

Waggoner played Safety at Darthmouth so he could play it in the CFL...

Here is an interesting article about Waggoner http://3downnation.com/2015/05/19/waggoner-set-to-become-3rd-generation-cfler-thanks-to-moms-twitter/

Fair enough. Why?

His size and testing numbers indicate that he will potentially make a hell of a weak-side linebacker in the CFL.  I believe that he could also play safety but that teams value a Canadian linebacker more than they value a Canadian safety (supply-and-demand), so the Bombers will do everything they can to make him work at that spot.  Furthermore Richie Hall has a history of always using an import at safety and we have a really good one.  The Bombers are clearly committed to starting a Canadian corner as well and it seems unlikely to me that they would start two Canadians in the secondary.

Just watched his tape, quick breakdown

Negs

Is very tall in his pedal and a touch slower in it.

First step out of break is slow

Limited tape vs top comp

Pos

Second step is amazing out of the break

Once he gets going, he can fly

Will hit u and hard.

Like him more at the mac and will, footwork would have to get way better to play saftey

I think we only start one canadian receiver at the start of the year.

I'd say that's pretty much a lock at this point.

We have more than enough long haired dudes to fill our Canadian ratio on defense.

I actually prefer 4-import receivers anyways.   

Re: Leggett at SAM .. I've seen Leggett have trouble tackling receivers, is he a good enough tackler to play up closer to the LOS?

Leggett is a ball hawk too, great anticipation skills, hate to lose him in the secondary.

No reason got can't have Leggett on the field at the same time as a Canadian safety in certain packages... but all signs definitely point to our ratio being 3 o-line, 1 rec, and 3 on defense

Competition will be fierce for which Canadians play on defence. No guarantee Buckner starts at corner

That's what i was thinking, eventually it looks like they will not require a National to play the corner.  Being a professional football player must be an insanely stressful job.

Walters said after the draft that they are going into training camp tentatively with eight Canadian starters on the depth chart.  I don't see that changing.  3 OL, 2 WR, 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB.

That could be. 8 NI starters would allow us a great deal of ratio flex. I certainly wouldn't mind that prospect. I do not think that a 2nd NI receiver will be utilized on a full time basis though. I suspect we will see a lot of offensive packages featuring 4 import receivers.