QB Jordan Yantz (undrafted camp invitee)

BigBlue

Can someone please explain to me the rationale as to why a Canadian QB wouldn't count towards the minimum 21 NI's on a game day roster?

I believe it is so teams don't abuse the 3rd string QB.  3rd string QB rarely sees the field so you could gamble to bury/dress a Canadian QB there so you can dress another DI.

I've also seen it said that it is a collective bargaining issue and that the CFLPA doesn't want it to happen (don't know the rationale behind that)

It is time they look at it and figure out a way to make it work.  The Canadian football league should encourage Canadian QBs (like they do the other positions), not put them at a disadvantage.

Can someone please explain to me the rationale as to why a Canadian QB wouldn't count towards the minimum 21 NI's on a game day roster?

I believe it is so teams don't abuse the 3rd string QB. 3rd string QB rarely sees the field so you could gamble to bury/dress a Canadian QB there so you can dress another DI.

I've also seen it said that it is a collective bargaining issue and that the CFLPA doesn't want it to happen (don't know the rationale behind that)

It is time they look at it and figure out a way to make it work. The Canadian football league should encourage Canadian QBs (like they do the other positions), not put them at a disadvantage.

I would like to see a rule that a team can carry a NI quarterback for two seasons without him counting against the salary cap or roster limit. That would give Canadian QBs enough development time to catch up to the imports.

Or a designated/additional PR spot for Canadian QBs, to help with their development.

I would like to see a rule that a team can carry a NI quarterback for two seasons without him counting against the salary cap or roster limit. That would give Canadian QBs enough development time to catch up to the imports.

Or a designated/additional PR spot for Canadian QBs, to help with their development.

Or that.

Id like to see this guy stick for many reasons.. Local boy, actually has some decent skills, athletic enough to be a "gimmick" guy and would be cool to be one of the few to show willingness to give a canadian QB. Chance..

I like Yantz, and he should get an honest-to-goodness real chance to compete at QB. Being a Canadian QB should not hinder your opportunity to compete against, often-times, inferior import QBs.

Let him compete on a level, or slightly convex, playing field.

That plus a starting Canadian QB should count towards your seven starting nationals.

Wonder if teams are shepherding National QBs such as Yantz, Brandon Bridge and Andrew Buckley because they anticipate a possible roster rule change?

Obviously it coudn't happen til next season.

One option is to just change the ratio to accommodate several possible scenarios including 22 Nationals and 22 Internationals, as Andrew Bucholtz suggests: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/cfl-s-unfair-rule-gives-qbs-brandon-bridge--andrew-buckley-an-uphill-battle-222925652.html

The list of Canuck QBs in the CFL isn't very long but we've seen some good ones who were weaned on the rhythm of 3 downs and the unique angles and options of a 65-yard wide field: Russ Jackson, Gerry Datillio and Frank Cosentino ...  http://cfl-scrapbook.no-ip.org/CFL-CanadianQB.php

Id like to see this guy stick for many reasons.. Local boy, actually has some decent skills, athletic enough to be a "gimmick" guy and would be cool to be one of the few to show willingness to give a canadian QB. Chance..

He's from Regina... which last I checked doesn't qualify as local... also he has the skill to be an actual QB not just a gimmick guy like like we had a few years ago... what was that guy's name, Rustin Doltz? 

take it for what it's worth, but Walters says they think he's better than the QBs they saw in Florida, so they're giving him the 5th QB spot in TC, and not trying to convert him to something else, just to get him in there...

Thing about Yantz is you can get super creative with him WHILE you develop him. Develop him as a QB but give him a chance to get with the receivers as well. Just imagine how creative they could get with the gadget packages if you had a "receiver" who can sling it like Yantz can.

If you keep a 4th-string Canadian QB around a team for a couple years, are they going to get enough reps to really develop?

No guarantees, but a couple of years ought to give a QB a fighting chance to get to know the system, pick up reads and work on deficiencies enough to compete with better and longer coached US quarterbacks.