Can Bellefeuille count?

Doublezero

Free Press: "Bellefeuille says his review of last season found that Bombers starting QB Drew Willy was at his most successful when his protection was at its best during the first six weeks of the year. "When I looked at the first five wins of the year last year when he was protected, we averaged 33 points a game on offence -- 33-plus, actually, in those five wins. And we protected very well."

Really? I had the impression our O output was very mediocre last year, aided by timely ST and D scoring. (That was the thing about Etch's high-risk high-reward D - it gave up the most points in the league but contributed to the scoring output too.)

So looking at those first 5 Bomber wins last year, if you factor in scoring by ST and defence, then the O managed just 26.8 pts per game- not 33 pts as the Bombers O coordinator is quoted as saying.

45-21 W over Argos aided by Washington fumble return for a TD
36-28 W over OTT aided by a Washington kick return for a TD
34-33 W over MTL aided by a Randle pick for a TD

The next 2 wins the O actually scored fewer points:

23-6 over BC
27-26 over Ham

Optimistic the offence will be better this year though, with couple of new hogs up front and the promise of a balanced attack - including an actual run threat. Be nice if the D and ST can contribute again to scoring though. I think we'll need them.

Exactly 33 points per game in the 5 wins. Not purely from the offence but consider that that is a quote from an interview and not a guy carefully choosing his words behind a keyboard. I think the general idea is still valid. The offence was better to start the year when Watson and Neufeld were healthy.

Free Press: "Bellefeuille says his review of last season found that Bombers starting QB Drew Willy was at his most successful when his protection was at its best during the first six weeks of the year. "When I looked at the first five wins of the year last year when he was protected, we averaged 33 points a game on offence -- 33-plus, actually, in those five wins. And we protected very well."

Really? I had the impression our O output was very mediocre last year, aided by timely ST and D scoring. (That was the thing about Etch's high-risk high-reward D - it gave up the most points in the league but contributed to the scoring output too.)

So looking at those first 5 Bomber wins last year, if you factor in scoring by ST and defence, then the O managed just 26.8 pts per game- not 33 pts as the Bombers O coordinator is quoted as saying.

45-21 W over Argos aided by Washington fumble return for a TD
36-28 W over OTT aided by a Washington kick return for a TD
34-33 W over MTL aided by a Randle pick for a TD

The next 2 wins the O actually scored fewer points:

23-6 over BC
27-26 over Ham

Optimistic the offence will be better this year though, with couple of new hogs up front and the promise of a balanced attack - including an actual run threat. Be nice if the D and ST can contribute again to scoring though. I think we'll need them.

Brilliant! How does he see such things?

maxresdefault.jpg

Hmmm has anyone yet noted that we have the exact same coordinators as the 2003-2005 Roughriders? Not that it matters now, just an interesting bit of trivia. Those teams finished 11-7, 9-9, and 9-9.

With over 10 years more experience under their belts we should be better!

I still fault a lot more problems last year to the personnel. Bad OL, many injuries, terrible running back play.

I think MB will have the offense playing well this year.

The terrible running back play at very least falls on the coaches though.... and there was talk from the OL that the coaches made their jobs harder. It's all well and good to say there was some talent deficiencies, but there were some iffy coaching decisions as well and given the mediocre at best reputation our offensive coordinator has (And that's a well earned reputation) I'd say it's foolish to pin most of the problems on the players. 

I still fault a lot more problems last year to the personnel. Bad OL, many injuries, terrible running back play.

The terrible running back play at very least falls on the coaches though.... and there was talk from the OL that the coaches made their jobs harder. It's all well and good to say there was some talent deficiencies, but there were some iffy coaching decisions as well and given the mediocre at best reputation our offensive coordinator has (And that's a well earned reputation) I'd say it's foolish to pin most of the problems on the players. 

Even though prior to the injuries, that team was shooting the lights out on offense??

Even though prior to the injuries, that team was shooting the lights out on offense??

Coaching is about adjusting. Teams adjusted to the Bombers and the Bombers couldn't make adjustments to those adjustments.

Coaching is about adjusting. Teams adjusted to the Bombers and the Bombers couldn't make adjustments to those adjustments.

That sounds like a Bellefuille hater spinning as hard as he can, right there....

Bellefeuille has, to the best of my knowledge, never been described as a great offensive football mind.  If he was, he would never have been out of work for as long as he was.  What you see in his record is what you get.  Middle of the road offence, not too imaginative but with enough talent, workable.  

Anyone who expects that he's more that that is setting themselves up to be disappointed.  I see the team working this way, offense scores 25 or so points in a game and the defense does it's best to keep the opposition under that.  For me, our success or failure will likely rest on our D.  Not expect Marcel to be the author of a "shoot the lights out" dominating offensive plan because his history tells us it ain't gonna happen.

Bellefeuille has, to the best of my knowledge, never been described as a great offensive football mind. If he was, he would never have been out of work for as long as he was. What you see in his record is what you get. Middle of the road offence, not too imaginative but with enough talent, workable.

Anyone who expects that he's more that that is setting themselves up to be disappointed. I see the team working this way, offense scores 25 or so points in a game and the defense does it's best to keep the opposition under that. For me, our success or failure will likely rest on our D. Not expect Marcel to be the author of a "shoot the lights out" dominating offensive plan because his history tells us it ain't gonna happen.

Bellefeuille was out of work because he still had term left on his contract where he was getting paid, so he used that time to take a sabbatical and tour NFL camps to learn new offensive philosophies. I'm not arguing with you in that he's "average", but that's why he was out of work, as far as I know it was his choice.

Bellefeuille has, to the best of my knowledge, never been described as a great offensive football mind. If he was, he would never have been out of work for as long as he was. What you see in his record is what you get. Middle of the road offence, not too imaginative but with enough talent, workable.

Anyone who expects that he's more that that is setting themselves up to be disappointed. I see the team working this way, offense scores 25 or so points in a game and the defense does it's best to keep the opposition under that. For me, our success or failure will likely rest on our D. Not expect Marcel to be the author of a "shoot the lights out" dominating offensive plan because his history tells us it ain't gonna happen.

Bellefeuille was out of work because he still had term left on his contract where he was getting paid, so he used that time to take a sabbatical and tour NFL camps to learn new offensive philosophies. I'm not arguing with you in that he's "average", but that's why he was out of work, as far as I know it was his choice.

In 2012 he was OC for the Omaha Nighthawks, so he was still involved in football and if he had signed a contract with them, then it would seem that he could have been available in the CFL if anyone had really really wanted him.  I look at it and say that he missed the start of the 2012 and 2013 seasons and if he was someone in great demand, he wouldn't have been available for us to sign in August of 2013. 

In 2012 he was OC for the Omaha Nighthawks, so he was still involved in football and if he had signed a contract with them, then it would seem that he could have been available in the CFL if anyone had really really wanted him. I look at it and say that he missed the start of the 2012 and 2013 seasons and if he was someone in great demand, he wouldn't have been available for us to sign in August of 2013.
By working with Omaha he still got his CFL pay. Not the case if he took another CFL job.

That sounds like a Bellefuille hater spinning as hard as he can, right there....

no that sounds like reasonable logic. Sticking with Grigsby isn't an injury issue for example.