Evander Kane & Bogo Traded to Buffalo

Rich

Claude Lemieux is also one of the greatest playoff performers of all time. 4 Stanley Cups and a Conn Smythe to go along with them. Think of a 3rd line guy who all of a sudden turns into a goal per game guy when the playoffs start.

There's a few guys who made their names that way - they'd sleep-walk through the season and then wake up in the playoffs. Claude was the best of them. John Druce was another. Bryan Bickell seems to be also heading that way, he seems to get more points in the playoffs then he does during the season. That could also be a function of ice time and power play time as well.

Claude Lemieux is also one of the greatest playoff performers of all time. 4 Stanley Cups and a Conn Smythe to go along with them. Think of a 3rd line guy who all of a sudden turns into a goal per game guy when the playoffs start.

There's a few guys who made their names that way - they'd sleep-walk through the season and then wake up in the playoffs. Claude was the best of them. John Druce was another. Bryan Bickell seems to be also heading that way, he seems to get more points in the playoffs then he does during the season. That could also be a function of ice time and power play time as well.
No really fair to compare Lemieux to Druce. He only had one good playoff and he was an irrelevant player otherwise. Lemieux was always a pretty good player.

Justin williams is a good current comparison.

Deleted a bunch of posts in here regarding the rumors of Bogosian.

Thought it would just die on its own, but apparently people like to keep arguing rumours that they themselves posted as probably being false.

It is one thing to have open discussion on a message board, it is quite another to propagate unfounded rumors and gossip.

Thanks shanks!

Glad we can have open discussions as long as they follow the opinions of the mods on here!

I wasn't aware that we can rip on Kane , the Riders, Joe Mack or anyone not on the blue or Jets but if we bring up topics that do have a hint of truth about our guys we have to put our heads in the sand.

Or we can have mods who mock or rip on fellow posters because they disagree with none of those posts or threads deleted.

This feels like ob.com 2.0 at times.

I like the site but remember the downfall of ob was partially because of mods trying to shape all discussions to whatever they want to hear.

I don't see the parallel at all to OB.

There is far more leniency on here compared to several sites, but you have to remember, everybody has their edges when it comes to defining what goes and what stays.

I happen to agree with their edges…you apparently don't.

As far as shaping discussions to whatever the mods want to hear…I call BS to that.

Here here!! *bangs hands on table*.

Very lenient and respectful for posters opinions and feelings/thoughts... The above rant was simply due to butthurtedness from having their hand slapped..

No thanks on Burmi. He and Antropov were my least favorites. But I am kind of negative on Russian players in general. Finnish players not so much. :)

Haters gon' hate :)

Burmi can be a legit player if he loses his Euro lack of desire/drive.. Not sure why some guys just don't have the fire in the belly..

If he comes back AND if his head is on straight, I see no reason why he can't be an excellent option for us..

If he hasn't grown up I'm sure finding his clothes in the shower will turn a light on in his head.

Meh.. This was 3 years ago now and it was a kid playing out one of his childhood dreams.. Can't really fault him for showboating a bit.. Excessive? Yup. Shame a swede didn't clubber lang him when he went by and smartened him up a bit that way.. But really though, not terribly different from some of the end zone celebrations that we all love from much more grown ass men lol.

Kudos to Chevy for getting this much in the trade. Armia and Lemieux and a first plus Stafford for Kane and Boga and Kasdorf for Myers?

Haha, what a steal. If Stafford re-signs in Winnipeg, this is almost a fleecing. Kane is going to have to put up BIG numbers and Bogo is going to have to play injury free and mega minutes for this deal to look good from Buffalo's side.

Hopefully, chevy has one more smaller deal to make before the deadline.

Kudos to Chevy for getting this much in the trade. Armia and Lemieux and a first plus Stafford for Kane and Boga and Kasdorf for Myers?

Haha, what a steal. If Stafford re-signs in Winnipeg, this is almost a fleecing. Kane is going to have to put up BIG numbers and Bogo is going to have to play injury free and mega minutes for this deal to look good from Buffalo's side.

All the risk is on Buffalo... Bogosian misses games mysteriously every season and Kane who knows if he ever grows up and matures.

Much higher odds of Myers working out and at least one of the prospects turning into a solid player. Stafford and the draft pick is gravy and if they stay it will be a fleecing.

Im intrigued by Chevy being so open about wanting to resign Stafford.  insurance against Frolik not signing?  if he gets them both, that's our right side locked up.  Left side is weak but maybe thats where Ehlers fits in next season as 3LW (eventually will be 1LW).

I think Chevy would like to add a rental LW soon but he hedged his bets by saying they know Halischuk will be back at some point.  Worse case scenario, that bolsters the 3rd line a little bit and pushes Thorbs back to the 4th.

All the risk is on Buffalo... Bogosian misses games mysteriously every season and Kane who knows if he ever grows up and matures.

Much higher odds of Myers working out and at least one of the prospects turning into a solid player. Stafford and the draft pick is gravy and if they stay it will be a fleecing.

I would watch for Kane to have impressive numbers next season.  He will play top line minutes and Im betting the team will play to his strengths.  They will lose a lot of games 6-5.  So bad news for Bogo who will be shell shocked but Kane with one of the big time centers in this years drafts will just play run and gun.  Actually Bogo will likely get a lot of assists. 

This is the type of deal that could be good for both teams.  if Kane ends up scoring 40 goals, great.  It means it worked out for Buffalo but doesnt mean it was a loser for the Jets.  If Lemiuex and Armia become regular NHL'ers, we won too.  If they dont, then you can re-evaluate. 

If the Jets sign one of Stafford or Frolik but not the other, I'd suspect that gives Armia a chance to make the 3RW next season.  What wing does Petan play, knowing he's a natural center?  I think Ehlers can play both wings..but didnt they have Petan playing center and wing during training camp?

I would watch for Kane to have impressive numbers next season.  He will play top line minutes and Im betting the team will play to his strengths.  They will lose a lot of games 6-5.  So bad news for Bogo who will be shell shocked but Kane with one of the big time centers in this years drafts will just play run and gun.  Actually Bogo will likely get a lot of assists. 

This is the type of deal that could be good for both teams.  if Kane ends up scoring 40 goals, great.  It means it worked out for Buffalo but doesnt mean it was a loser for the Jets.  If Lemiuex and Armia become regular NHL'ers, we won too.  If they dont, then you can re-evaluate. 

If the Jets sign one of Stafford or Frolik but not the other, I'd suspect that gives Armia a chance to make the 3RW next season.  What wing does Petan play, knowing he's a natural center?  I think Ehlers can play both wings..but didnt they have Petan playing center and wing during training camp?

Petan can be effective playing either center or wing but my guess is we start him at center un till he finds his game playing against NHL players.

My guess is Frolik wont be going anywhere... Maurice likes him and uses him all over the place. Maurice has said a bunch of times he can stick him on any line to jump start players and if i had to guess he will use him alot playing with whatever young guys make it up next year and i also think he will play on a line with the new guys tonight.

I agree about Ehlers hes shifty and can prolly play any wing without missing a beat.

Petan can be effective playing either center or wing but my guess is we start him at center un till he finds his game playing against NHL players.

My guess is Frolik wont be going anywhere... Maurice likes him and uses him all over the place. Maurice has said a bunch of times he can stick him on any line to jump start players and if i had to guess he will use him alot playing with whatever young guys make it up next year and i also think he will play on a line with the new guys tonight.

I agree about Ehlers hes shifty and can prolly play any wing without missing a beat.

Petan's biggest challenge in the NHL will be his size.  This will affect him in both faceoffs and defensive responsibilities.  It is way easier to play wing then center.   I can see him going to the wing until he can prove he can handle the bigger NHL players. 

Petan's biggest challenge in the NHL will be his size.  This will affect him in both faceoffs and defensive responsibilities.  It is way easier to play wing then center.   I can see him going to the wing until he can prove he can handle the bigger NHL players. 

Ya that could be also.

I guess its all going to depend how he reacts to the bigger NHLers. He is pretty good along the bordes with the puck

LOL   who knows....  I think im wrong with my predictions more then half the time. 

At this point I don't think Frolik will be back.  It's an agent thing.  They might meet on term but they won't meet on price.  Even if the Jets can fit it under the budget, every time you raise the bar it raises the bar for the next player you need to sign.  GMs handing out willy-nilly contracts is why the NHL keeps having lockouts.  Chevy will not fall into that trap.  Frolik is a valuable player, but I'm expecting his agent to dig his heels in at a price the Jets will not go to.

At this point I don't think Frolik will be back.  It's an agent thing.  They might meet on term but they won't meet on price.  Even if the Jets can fit it under the budget, every time you raise the bar it raises the bar for the next player you need to sign.  GMs handing out willy-nilly contracts is why the NHL keeps having lockouts.  Chevy will not fall into that trap.  Frolik is a valuable player, but I'm expecting his agent to dig his heels in at a price the Jets will not go to.

I think this is part of the interest in Stafford too.  Losing Kane made it a big need but Chevy making it clear he wants to keep Stafford is about trying to dive Frolik's price down.  Frolik has said he liked it here and there was talk the Jets and the agent were close last year before ultimately settling on a one year deal.  If Frolik wants to test free agency, Chevy might resign Stafford.  He isnt a replacement for Frolik but he will come cheaper.  And then they hope some prospects are ready to play.

It all depends on how Stafford looks the rest of the season.  Hopefully he finds his game.  I think petan, for sure, will be on the wing.  He shoots left so more likely a lefty.

Either way, Jets will be going into next season with a question mark at LW and RW.  They are too deep at center to have Petan play there.  I would suspect the plan is for Lowry to center the 4th line and Perrault to center the 3rd line.  But if they keep perrault at 2LW, perhaps Petan and Ehlers end up flanking Lowry on the 3rd.

There is also the aspect that Frolik himself, might have something to say in the matter. How much does he like this team? And his role in it? And how he views their future?

Maybe, just maybe, he likes t(his) home team.

Ah, the old "this is where I want to be, just get me the best deal and I'll sign".  That's a pretty rare one.

I doubt the gap in price is any closer now than it was last summer.  If the Jets are willing to offer more, the agent will be asking more.  That's what they do.  Like I said, it will be an agent thing.  If it's Frolik and Chevy sitting in a room a deal probably gets done for less.  That's true of almost every player, and that's why they leave it up to the agents.

With Ladd and Buff's contracts on the horizon, Chevy will have to be very mindful of where he sets the bar for players who are considered lesser.  It's one thing to be able to point out deals around the league as evidence of why you deserve a bigger contract; Chevy can always say those aren't his contracts.  When you can point to players in your own locker room as precedent for why you should be getting 7 million instead of 6, well that's a corner Chevy will try and not paint himself into.

Don't think I would go much more then $4M - $4.5M on Frolik.   Definitely would have to stay under $5M.   Maybe a 4 year deal starting at $4M and escalating up to $5M over the length of it for an AAV of $4.5M

And I don't think that is going to get it done when he is this close to FA and seeing what he can get on the open market.

Petan is very Stu Barnesian to me.

Stu Barnes ended up with a 16 year playing career - 1,136 games played, 261 goals, 336 assists for 597 points and 438 penalty minutes.

I hope Petan's offensive upside is a little more then Stu Barnes, but there are worse people you could be compared to.

Stu never had the natural talent of Petan.  When you hear scouts say if he was 6 feet tall he would have been a top ten pick, thats exciting.  He *seems* to be someone who has adapted to his size and knows how to make the most of it.  We'll see....  At worst he's probably a Perrault type.  At best he's compared to Marty St louis.