Hall most likely to be new DC (Now Official)

Mr. Perfect

You went into your whole thing where you think that because they're not hiring the guy you want that it's the wrong move. It must be because they're cheap! It must be because they don't know what they're doing! It's tiresome because you don't know half as much as you think you know. Benevides and Hall are both guys who have had plenty of success in the CFL as defensive coordinators, why get hung up on one guy or the other? If it were me I prefer Benevides as well, but I'm not so arrogant as to think I know more than Mike O'Shea in this case. If he thinks Hall is the guy for him then I'm not going to waste time arguing about it.

New year.  Same old crap.

You shouldn't have start arguments you won't finish.  It's so tiresome that you make crap up that I don't say then complain about it almost every time I post anything.  I didn't say signing Hall was a bad move.  I gave reasons that the Bombers would prefer him over Benevides, including the fact that we don't have to compete to get him.  

Me arrogant?  Pot, meet kettle. :rolleyes:

And yet it still came across as condescending and insulting because Hall wasn't your choice but benevides was. You feel like the bombers made a bad move because this is a cheaper and less risky proposition for O'Shea and you cannot play dumb about it..

If you seriously are so oblivious to how you come across in your posts 95% of the time....

I absolutely think that Benevides is a better choice.  I make no bones about it at all.  That's not the same thing as saying hiring Hall is a bad move, which I didn't say BTW and that's what you and 17 are whining about.

Hall or BVD would be fine choices.

Actually think Hall would be a better choice for our team -- could see him want to hunker down and have a great stretch as DC here. 

BVD, being a freshly fired HC, might be in a different head space. Not that having something to prove is a bad thing, just might not be as good a fit for OS. 

Either way, serious upgrade over Etch. Now Walters finds a MLB and signs Alex Hall and kaboom. 

For once I actually agree with something TBURG is saying.  If they view Hall and Benevides as capable of making very similar impacts, why put yourself in a situation where you may have to overpay to get Benevides, when you don't have to with Hall?  Secondly, Benevides' defense being more different from Etch's than Hall's... wouldn't Hall set up the Bombers for a less difficult transition player-wise?  I don't think us fans want tons of changes from our personnel... shift Wild to WIL, size up some of the DL, add an impact tackler at MLB, and we can go with it. 

Sure, Winnipeg's got a history of being cheap.  "Winnipeg" is Ojibway for cheap, actually.  But smart shopping makes sense.  As long as Hall hits everything on our shopping list for a DC, why do we need to potentially compete for Benevides' services if the impact is perceived as similar to Hall's?

For once I actually agree with something TBURG is saying.  If they view Hall and Benevides as capable of making very similar impacts, why put yourself in a situation where you may have to overpay to get Benevides, when you don't have to with Hall?  Secondly, Benevides' defense being more different from Etch's than Hall's... wouldn't Hall set up the Bombers for a less difficult transition player-wise?  I don't think us fans want tons of changes from our personnel... shift Wild to WIL, size up some of the DL, add an impact tackler at MLB, and we can go with it. 

Sure, Winnipeg's got a history of being cheap.  "Winnipeg" is Ojibway for cheap, actually.  But smart shopping makes sense.  As long as Hall hits everything on our shopping list for a DC, why do we need to potentially compete for Benevides' services if the impact is perceived as similar to Hall's?

Cheap, schmeap.

O'Shea had no need to muddy Walters with unnecessary talk about competing for Benevides' attention.

He already had it.

Team fit, that's what O'Shea was looking at, and it looks like they felt Hall's interview convinced them that Hall was a better team fit.

Hallelujah. 

A common complaint from Rider fans about Hall was 2nd and long conversions.  I think Randle and Legget will help with that a bit, I like our personnel in the secondary more than SK's last year.

Regardless, still much better than 2nd and 2 after a routine 8 yard run on first down.  

Lets not sit here and pretend that Rider fans are knowledgeable. 

What we need from Hall as defensive coordinator is a defence that adapts to the game as it goes along, defends against the inside run, and uses personnel to their strengths. It really doesn't matter if its Benevides or Hall, so long as we don't have a repeat of last season.

Does Hall have a good reputation of making effective in-game adjustments?

What we need from Hall as defensive coordinator is a defence that adapts to the game as it goes along, defends against the inside run, and uses personnel to their strengths. It really doesn't matter if its Benevides or Hall, so long as we don't have a repeat of last season.

Does Hall have a good reputation of making effective in-game adjustments?

It would seem so. Etch came in with a well-deserved reputation and lived down to it, but I have not read on the Rider website about any troublesome traits for Hall.

Would Richie Hall move to other team even if it's not for DC position?

As what? Cuz special teams ain't available here. DL coach? Lb coach? Db? Doubt it.

Why not... our ST is nothing to write home about

As what? Cuz special teams ain't available here. DL coach? Lb coach? Db? Doubt it.

That would be a demotion, I think.

I would think Richie Hall is a very humble guy and probably will take the demotion in the Riders camp quite well. But it's obvious Chamblin doesnt like him.

So unless there are any HC opening in CIS who will consider Hall, might as well move next door (Bombers who has job openings) even for a defensive coach position (assuming Benevides gets the Bombers DC job) instead of working with a guy who doesn't like him.

I would think Richie Hall is a very humble guy and probably will take the demotion in the Riders camp quite well. But it's obvious Chamblin doesnt like him.

So unless there are any HC opening in CIS who will consider Hall, might as well move next door (Bombers who has job openings) even for a defensive coach position (assuming Benevides gets the Bombers DC job) instead of working with a guy who doesn't like him.

All of that, plus family.  Other than his adventure in Edmonton, Hall has been a fixture in Regina since 1988.  He's not uprooting his family and re-working his life "just 'cause".

And that's part of the reason the hiring process doesn't happen at light speed (to the angst of some impatient posters).  It's not just us evaluating Hall.  It's also Hall evaluating us.  This organization.  The city.  The schools and neighbourhoods.  This would be a big deal for him.  He's not without obligations in his life.