Hall most likely to be new DC (Now Official)

Mr. Perfect

Hall is a very good coordinator IF he is given the talent.. Is now up to Walters to get him a legit MLB and firm up the Dline..

But I am pretty stoked at this if true... Much more traditional and less "out there" then etch was AND a plethora of experience and success..

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Hall are in contract negotiations and if things continue to positively move forward, Hall could be named defensive coordinator as early as next week. - Gary Lawless - Winnipeg Free Press

Bringing in a new DC ala Richie Hall brings excitement and new ideas and an openness to the rest of the league that will invite more acceptance for Free Agents to consider coming to the 'Peg.

And on that theme, can we expect a little sugar sweetness with some of the pending Rider FAs who may have followed Hall's thinking?

IF it's Hall, I'm a happy camper. His defences have been solid both in Sask and Edm.. Thought to be a little too conservative sometimes but you can't deny he has the credentials. He'll have our D playing to it's potential and stay away from the Etch-a-sketch shenanigans of the last year. Looking forward to see another well seasoned CFL coach come on board.

Nothing wrong with being conservative. he helped develop guys like Stevie Baggs & John Chick over the years as well as many National players who flourished under his coaching. It's a great move if it happens. (Fingers crossed). 

Will be interesting to see the reaction when Hall deploys personnel very similarly to Etcheverry.  

Guess what?   If Wild is back, he'll be playing MLB.  Our nose tackle will probably be 280, not 300, and he won't be sitting in the A gaps all game either.

Scheme will be very similar.  Usually 1 LB and/or the safety blitzing and tons of zone.

Interesting nugget I just thought of. Didn't the Riders cut Kuale while Hall was DC? If Hall already knows how terrible Kuale is, I might finally get my wish of no more Kuale!

Except O'Shea has said OC/DC will no longer have any say on players going forward.

lol are you serious?? O'Shea did not say this. He said coordinators don't have full control over personnel decisions.

Will be interesting to see the reaction when Hall deploys personnel very similarly to Etcheverry.

Guess what? If Wild is back, he'll be playing MLB. Our nose tackle will probably be 280, not 300, and he won't be sitting in the A gaps all game either.

Scheme will be very similar. Usually 1 LB and/or the safety blitzing and tons of zone.

But I'd assume Hall will pay more attention to run defense, right? That was the biggest shortcoming of Etch.

Interesting nugget I just thought of. Didn't the Riders cut Kuale while Hall was DC? If Hall already knows how terrible Kuale is, I might finally get my wish of no more Kuale!

Except O'Shea has said OC/DC will no longer have any say on players going forward.

lol are you serious?? O'Shea did not say this. He said coordinators don't have full control over personnel decisions.

Thats what i said.

Guess what? If Wild is back, he'll be playing MLB. Our nose tackle will probably be 280, not 300, and he won't be sitting in the A gaps all game either.

Scheme will be very similar. Usually 1 LB and/or the safety blitzing and tons of zone.

But I'd assume Hall will pay more attention to run defense, right? That was the biggest shortcoming of Etch.

Everyone wants to stop the run, but not many teams are scheming to do it because it has been rare for teams to continually rely on the run, Hall included.  Will they run inside run in practice.  Probably, but practices in season have so little contact that it is inconsequential to what happens on gameday.  Players make plays, make tackles or they don't.  Etcheverry is quirky, but his schemes aren't crazy relative to the rest of the league.  The difference between Hall's D and Etcheverry's in 2014 was 7 yards per game and 2 first downs.  The last game Hall coached his defense gave up 7 yards a carry when they knew Edmonton's QB's couldn't pass.  There won't be a huge difference on the coaching side.  Any change will come by upgrading personnel.

Benevides would have been a huge departure from Etcheverry in terms of what kinds of players he prefers in the interior of the D and secondary, but Hall is very similar to Etcheverry.

I would think you are taking that too literally.

Thats what i said.

No that's not what you said.

I would think you are taking that too literally.

Well im sure he can make some moves.... But from what he said he doesnt want everyone changed around him.

Why would he say it then? 

Thats what i said.

Have problems reading?  Look at it.

Did he not say that his OC/DC wouldnt have a say in player personal going forward? He didnt want everyone changing around him?

Of course some guys will go and some will come in... that happens all the time to every team. 

Thats what i said.

Did he not say that his OC/DC wouldnt have a say in player personal going forward? He didnt want everyone changing around him?

Of course some guys will go and some will come in... that happens all the time to every team. 

You said "OC/DC will no longer have any say on players going forward".  That's just not true and is not what O'Shea said. 

O'Shea said they won't have full control.  Big difference. 

Thats what i said.

You said "OC/DC will no longer have any say on players going forward".  That's just not true and is not what O'Shea said. 

O'Shea said they won't have full control.  Big difference. 

Allowing them to have full control in the first place is a bad idea   no?

Im sure you want them to have some say in it but full control?

O'Shea said DC will have to fit the personnel, to a point: "You can?t have a guy come in and change everybody around you." #Bombers

#bombers O'Shea says new DC will not have free rein to make player personnel decisions in going forward