Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

Stamps re-signed Matt Walter.

I'm surprised by this. I thought he would get some interest from teams around the league. I really didn't see him resigning in CGY.

He is a Land Man for an oil company. He has a very well paying job & he's a native Calgarian so he'd have to give that up if he moved. he has it pretty good career wise in business & sports.
What's a Land Man?

Someone who negotiates on behalf of the oil company he/she works for regarding mineral rights with land owners, negotiating exploration deals, determining who would own these minerals by doing research with public & private records, determining land title status during negotiations for an oil & gas company as well as assessing the legal risks on behalf of his employer.

I'm surprised by this. I thought he would get some interest from teams around the league. I really didn't see him resigning in CGY.

It's a given that Walter will re-sign with CGY it's just a matter of when. It's not difficult to guess since Cornish is aging up and Walter will be the heir-apparent. Just like Cornish who bide his time before while playing as backup to Reynolds, Walter is doing the same behind Cornish.

It's a given that Walter will re-sign with CGY it's just a matter of when. It's not difficult to guess since Cornish is aging up and Walter will be the heir-apparent. Just like Cornish who bide his time before while playing as backup to Reynolds, Walter is doing the same behind Cornish.

He has already re-signed with the Stamps.

He has already re-signed with the Stamps.

I know. I'm just explaining it to BigBlue that's it's a given so he/she shouldn't be surprised by that.

Walter isn't as good as Cornish tho.

At this point, yes. But who knows how he will developed.

Walter has good rushing/receiving numbers to show in his first 3 years compared to Cornish's first 3.

Walters will get more looks/ playing time because he is behind Cornish. Cornish played behind a great running back in Reynolds.

Walter has good rushing/receiving numbers to show in his first 3 years compared to Cornish's first 3.

Walters will get more looks/ playing time because he is behind Cornish. Cornish played behind a great running back in Reynolds.

What are you going on about?  Cornish got plenty of carries when Reynolds was still in the picture, and he is also a better running back than Reynolds was.  Walters is no Cornish and will not get the kind of playing time that Cornish got behind Reynolds.

What are you going on about?  Cornish got plenty of carries when Reynolds was still in the picture, and he is also a better running back than Reynolds was.  Walters is no Cornish and will not get the kind of playing time that Cornish got behind Reynolds.

Here are the facts since you don't seem to know them or are ignoring them. first 3 seasons in the cfl, Cornish had 52 carries and Walters has 155 carries. Cornish did not get plenty of carries behind Reynolds, in fact he only had 137 carries after 4 seasons. It wasn't till Cornish's 5th season that he got the ball more than 100 times and took over for a aging Reynolds. Walter has triple the carries in his first 3 seasons than Cornish had, mostly because walters is behind a rb that misses more time. As far as Cornish being better than Reynolds, IMHO no way that's true. Reynolds had 6 consecutive seasons with over 1200 yards per season. Reynolds had clearly established himself the starter in his second season with the stamps, it took Cornish 5 seasons to do that. I`d take Reynolds over Cornish any day of the week. As far as Walters is concerned he is a ham and egger, they had to sign him because he is Canadian and they need a Canadian backup for Cornish.   

Here are the facts since you don't seem to know them or are ignoring them. first 3 seasons in the cfl, Cornish had 52 carries and Walters has 155 carries. Cornish did not get plenty of carries behind Reynolds, in fact he only had 137 carries after 4 seasons. It wasn't till Cornish's 5th season that he got the ball more than 100 times and took over for a aging Reynolds. Walter has triple the carries in his first 3 seasons than Cornish had, mostly because walters is behind a rb that misses more time. As far as Cornish being better than Reynolds, IMHO no way that's true. Reynolds had 6 consecutive seasons with over 1200 yards per season. Reynolds had clearly established himself the starter in his second season with the stamps, it took Cornish 5 seasons to do that. I`d take Reynolds over Cornish any day of the week. As far as Walters is concerned he is a ham and egger, they had to sign him because he is Canadian and they need a Canadian backup for Cornish.   

Classic Riderfan Cornish hate.  I'm sure you had this post saved in a text file on your computer because you got tired of typing it out every time.  Get over it.

I think his moon might have blinded your judgment Cornish is career average is one yard better than Reynolds 5.8 to 6.8. Reynolds has 13 more touchdowns than Cornish but Cornish has had roughly 600 less carries. If they get to the same number of carries over a career Cornish will have well over 1000 more yards than Reynolds and probably 20 more touchdowns. Oh forgot to mention the MOP award which Reynolds does not have.

Classic Riderfan Cornish hate.  I'm sure you had this post saved in a text file on your computer because you got tired of typing it out every time.  Get over it.

N

I think his moon might have blinded your judgment Cornish is career average is one yard better than Reynolds 5.8 to 6.8. Reynolds has 13 more touchdowns than Cornish but Cornish has had roughly 600 less carries. If they get to the same number of carries over a career Cornish will have well over 1000 more yards than Reynolds and probably 20 more touchdowns. Oh forgot to mention the MOP award which Reynolds does not have.

Nice rebuttal. Obviously the Stampeders themselves don`t share your view or it wouldn't have taken Cornish 5 seasons to unseat Reynolds as the starter. Cornish is a huge talent, no doubt about it, I just don't think he is better than Reynold`s. If Cornish wasn`t Canadian he wouldn`t get the air time he gets. Other RB`s have had good 2-3 seasons also in their careers, but the really good ones can endure and have longevity and do it over a period of time. Jon`s had 3 good seasons, do you see 3 more coming consecutively for him.  Ya me neither.