Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

@HerbZurkowsky1: My spies tell me #Als' OT @JeffPerrett, division finalist for outstanding offensive lineman, has signed a contract extension through 2017.

The Als aren't the power house they once were, but they certainly know how to keep an effective OL intact, season after season.

Blake is 29. Not the same guy who was drafted. Wish him well but I'd expect he might be the injured player. Not convinced he makes the als roster even.

So you're saying that three years in the NFL hampered his development...?

He's not a young guy, he's fighting for a spot on one of the best olines in the league, i don't think theres any guarantee he makes that team. Not at the expense of Matte or anyone like that at least. 

Als have probably the best or one of the best lines in the league, NFL experience or not, it's not the same as CFL experience, Blake hasn't played Canadian Rules Football in how long now? It probably won't be an easy transition for him. 

.@RickMoffat reporting that SJ Green has rejected a contract offer from the @MTLAlouettes. #CFLFA15

I wouldn't go after him, Let Ottawa overpay. 

That's not the first place I'd spend the money, but if we don't get the guys we want, I'm not sneezing at the idea of giving Willy a receiving corps that consists of Denmark, Moore and Green.  That instantly becomes the best combo of receivers in the league.

Blake is 29. Not the same guy who was drafted. Wish him well but I'd expect he might be the injured player. Not convinced he makes the als roster even.

Blake may or may not make the team, but most athletes have their best years ages 26-29, and linemen often play well into their 30's.

A non-guaranteed contract for a guy that spent 3 years playing against NFL competition day after day; played 12 NFL pre-season games; started 38 consecutive games at Baylor; started a full season at JuCo. 

If he can play at RT then he's a bargain, if he plays at center or guard like a veteran then he's basically earning a vet salary from the get go. If he can't play any of those positions then he'll be released like a plumber that didn't do the job right. Big contracts in football are so different than in other sports which really propelled it's popularity in the US. The fact that a mistake can get you fired and fans aren't stuck with the player for 3 or 4 or 5 more years with a big price tag. Blue collar guys being paid like white collar guys. 

A non-guaranteed contract for a guy that spent 3 years playing against NFL competition day after day; played 12 NFL pre-season games; started 38 consecutive games at Baylor; started a full season at JuCo. 

If he can play at RT then he's a bargain, if he plays at center or guard like a veteran then he's basically earning a vet salary from the get go. If he can't play any of those positions then he'll be released like a plumber that didn't do the job right. Big contracts in football are so different than in other sports which really propelled it's popularity in the US. The fact that a mistake can get you fired and fans aren't stuck with the player for 3 or 4 or 5 more years with a big price tag. Blue collar guys being paid like white collar guys. 

Actually, if you still have to pay a plumber if they don't do the job... CFL is pretty much the only professional left where you can get cut on performance or budget circumstances

WBB DT Ryan Lucas retires today after a spate of injuries. 7 year CFL career.

well thats unfortunate.. Didnt see this coming. Wonder if everett might backup both spots this season?

Good luck in future endevours Mr.Lucas!