George Cortez won't be back with Riders in 2015

gbill2004

Maybe what Marcel needs is better inputs from his assistants. If Oshea opts to keep him, I want to see a offensive maybe added and/or replaced the existing ones... like....

Dyce for Howell as Receivers coach (plus additional title perhaps) .... or

Khari for Dahlquist for QB coach... or

Gibson for Pierce (promote as QB coach? ) as RB coach.

thought Dahlquist did good with the QBs

And I believe Howell is quite respected by the receivers based on comments I've read.

Everyone loves Cortez and I don't understand why. Name brand, maybe?

Cortez - cortex, do they both connote cerebral?

For me, the mystic of Cortez has worn off. He was unremarkable last year in handling Sask.'s offence, especially with DD out. 

He's morphing into what looks like, a grumpy old man and if he can't get along with anybody, then why would we want that?

And what's with our own fans disrespecting our own OC's name?

Why is he deity or something?

It's a football forum. And I'm sure Marcel wouldn't care.

Get over yourself.

You sound like a Rider fan.

It's an easy but unoriginal mangling of one of our coach's name, and gets old.

And it isn't about me.

You need to understand the difference.

You sound like an utterly humourless person. 

To each their own.

Uh... Dees freakin hilarious and I agree with him... Nating out and giving our coaches lame nicknames? Not cool brah.. Humourless even..

It would be interesting to get Willy's perspective on the difference between MB and GCortez.

From what I can gather, Drew has a lot of respect for the current OC.

I don't know if we can pin the failings of the 2014 offence on Bellefeuille or the OL.  Is Bellefeuille's offence (and Willy) effective with a league average OL or better?  Does the offence (and/or the QB) make the OL look worse than it is.

Personally, I think both statements are somewhat true.  Bellefeuille's offence can't truly be evaluated if the QB is having to improvise as often as Willy had to in 2014; but the guy was a statue in the pocket as the season wore on. 

I think if we're throwing money at problems, I throw it at the OL and the DC.  If the OL improves, Bellefeuille's offence MAY be better in 2015.  Etch's scheme is a known quantity, and HE brought in the players he wanted to fit in the scheme.  That's not a failure you can lay at the feet of the players.

It's the OC's plays that tell the OL where they need to go.  According to January, the schemes were not very good and made the OL look bad.  And from what I saw, I tend to agree.

You can give MB all the best OL in the world and I bet our offense will still suck.

Bellefeuille made Calvillo look like he was washed up and the montreal OL look useless in 07 that says a lot right there. 

It would be interesting to get Willy's perspective on the difference between MB and GCortez.

I don't know if we can pin the failings of the 2014 offence on Bellefeuille or the OL.  Is Bellefeuille's offence (and Willy) effective with a league average OL or better?  Does the offence (and/or the QB) make the OL look worse than it is.

Personally, I think both statements are somewhat true.  Bellefeuille's offence can't truly be evaluated if the QB is having to improvise as often as Willy had to in 2014; but the guy was a statue in the pocket as the season wore on. 

I think if we're throwing money at problems, I throw it at the OL and the DC.  If the OL improves, Bellefeuille's offence MAY be better in 2015.  Etch's scheme is a known quantity, and HE brought in the players he wanted to fit in the scheme.  That's not a failure you can lay at the feet of the players.

It's the OC's plays that tell the OL where they need to go.  According to January, the schemes were not very good and made the OL look bad.  And from what I saw, I tend to agree.

You can give MB all the best OL in the world and I bet our offense will still suck.

Bellefeuille made Calvillo look like he was washed up and the montreal OL look useless in 07 that says a lot right there. 

I have to agree with that - Calvillo took some serious punishment that year - particularly from the boys in blue and gold.

Everyone loves Cortez and I don't understand why. Name brand, maybe?

Cortez - cortex, do they both connote cerebral?

For me, the mystic of Cortez has worn off. He was unremarkable last year in handling Sask.'s offence, especially with DD out. 

He's morphing into what looks like, a grumpy old man and if he can't get along with anybody, then why would we want that?

And what's with our own fans disrespecting our own OC's name?

Why is he deity or something?

It's a football forum. And I'm sure Marcel wouldn't care.

Get over yourself.

You sound like a Rider fan.

It's an easy but unoriginal mangling of one of our coach's name, and gets old.

And it isn't about me.

You need to understand the difference.

You sound like an utterly humourless person. 

To each their own.

Uh... Dees freakin hilarious and I agree with him... Nating out and giving our coaches lame nicknames? Not cool brah.. Humourless even..

If it helps, I read that Costco is having a sale on Vagisil this weekend. Should you two need to stock up brah

I have to agree with that - Calvillo took some serious punishment that year - particularly from the boys in blue and gold.

Should also be noted, the very next year calvillo was named MOP and the Alouttes went to the grey cup. As far as I can tell with basically the same OL.

When MB was in MTL wasnt that the time Calvillo checked out either for his cancer or his wife's ? cant remember but he missed a lot of games that year.

You're correct. It was his wife.

Marcus Brady was his fill-in.

Jim Popp was the HC

Robert Edwards led the CFL with 17 TDs

Montreal was the only team with 2 - 1000 yd receivers - Kerry Watkins and Ben Cahoon.

I think that MOS is on borrowed time. The clock is running. I was happy with his hiring last December but as this past season went on & now an apparent power struggle going on I don't have a lot of confidence that he was the right hire despite all the  rosy comments here by just about everyone. If he brings back our coordinators...

Barring a complete implosion of epic proportions, O'Shea has to be safe until at least the end of next season. All coaches are on borrowed time and darned few leave on their own terms, but O'Shea's achilles heel may be his stubborness and being unwilling to change things /people when they are not working. I agree that it would be a very bad sign if we go into next season with the same cast as this year. Change for the sake of change is pointless but change when it is warranted is a good thing.

"O'Shea's achilles heel may be his stubborness and being unwilling to change things /people when they are not working" ... you can say that again ... my biggest worry about him really

When MB was in MTL wasnt that the time Calvillo checked out either for his cancer or his wife's ? cant remember but he missed a lot of games that year.

You're correct. It was his wife.

Marcus Brady was his fill-in.

Jim Popp was the HC

Robert Edwards led the CFL with 17 TDs

Montreal was the only team with 2 - 1000 yd receivers - Kerry Watkins and Ben Cahoon.

Bombers had 3...Armstrong, Edwards, and Stegall

http://www.tsn.ca/lions-on-verge-of-naming-tedford-next-head-coach-1.160916

So it's more and more likely BC will have Tedford, Cortez and Washington as HC, OC and DC.

And from this tweet... it looks like Chapdelaine is more likely to be Riders OC than Lapo.

CFL News @CFL_News

It's looking more likely @SFUFootball HC Jacques Chapdelaine is off to #Riders as Offensive Co-ordinator. via @Jim_Mullin #CFL

If that's the case, does everybody see Benevides-Chapdelaine reunion at SSK? I dont think so.

If O'shea has serious interest on Benevides as DC, then I dont see a strong competition for him.

Unless of course he already made his mind to stand pat and retain both Bellefeuille and Etcheverry.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/brace-for-return-of-bellefeuille-etcheverry-285919321.html?cx_navSource=d-top-story