Kelly benched instead of Romby

gbill2004

I honestly thought Bryant was our best receiver last game. Kelly has had a serious case of alligator arms and disappearitis over the last few games. I have no real feelings on this move at all. Like TB said, half a dozen of one six of another. Neither guy deserves a spot in the lineup imo...but if you gotta go with one I guess it comes down to what have you done for me lately. Bryant had the better game last week and Kelly was awful. Not my favorite move but there is some logic to it.

Perhaps, just perhaps, MOS is sending a message to some players.....perhaps, just perhaps, all the whining, sucking, and blowing we have been hearing about no consequences is not true at all.

If that's what he's doing I wish he would have started with Kuale.

I think he would have if he had a semi-viable alternative. Hard to say though. We will see how much Kuale hits the field now that Wild is back and know the answer. Also, the pickup of Will Smith today seems to indicate that we are looking for LBers.

I honestly thought Bryant was our best receiver last game. Kelly has had a serious case of alligator arms and disappearitis over the last few games. I have no real feelings on this move at all. Like TB said, half a dozen of one six of another. Neither guy deserves a spot in the lineup imo...but if you gotta go with one I guess it comes down to what have you done for me lately. Bryant had the better game last week and Kelly was awful. Not my favorite move but there is some logic to it.

Perhaps, just perhaps, MOS is sending a message to some players.....perhaps, just perhaps, all the whining, sucking, and blowing we have been hearing about no consequences is not true at all.

I think he would have if he had a semi-viable alternative. Hard to say though. We will see how much Kuale hits the field now that Wild is back and know the answer. Also, the pickup of Will Smith today seems to indicate that we are looking for LBers.

Why did this not happen in August?

Kuale is injured so we might never know.

Who has Bryant opened it up for this year?

Exactly. Bryant isn't scaring anyone. It's sad if Bryant is the guy we're relying on to stretch the field.

I'm sorry that you can't tell Bryant is the faster of the two. I'm not sure what else to say.

He may very well be faster than Kelly. My point is he's done nothing this season to scare another teams defensive coordinator into stretching the defense. It's sad if we're relying on Bryant to stretch the field. If that's the case we're in trouble.

Exactly. Bryant isn't scaring anyone. It's sad if Bryant is the guy we're relying on to stretch the field.
I'm sorry that you can't tell Bryant is the faster of the two. I'm not sure what else to say.

He may very well be faster than Kelly. My point is he's done nothing this season to scare another teams defensive coordinator into stretching the defense. It's sad if we're relying on Bryant to stretch the field. If that's the case we're in trouble.

Are you suggesting they'll leave him uncovered? You do realize that stretching the field is not a coordinator decision  unless the decision is to leave him wide open behind coverage. Romby's speed stretches the defence. Whether or not he gets a ball thrown to him is irrelevant. Romby love him or hate him is one of the best in the league at stretching the field. His lack of production thus far may cause defences to gamble and give him a little room behind coverage but that's a very risky play call on defence. One you are not likely to see.

Are you suggesting they'll leave him uncovered? You do realize that stretching the field is not a coordinator decision unless the decision is to leave him wide open behind coverage. Romby's speed stretches the defence. Whether or not he gets a ball thrown to him is irrelevant. Romby love him or hate him is one of the best in the league at stretching the field. His lack of production thus far may cause defences to gamble and give him a little room behind coverage but that's a very risky play call on defence. One you are not likely to see.

No. I'm saying if Romby was any type of a threat by doing something with his speed, other teams defensive coordinators would have to scheme more for him being on the field.

It's actually a very logical reason, and makes sense when you think about it.  Romby has much better breakaway speed.  If they can get Moore in more one-on-one match ups then that's a good thing.

Yep. Romby forces the safety to make a decision a lot faster than Kelly does.

Or started ealier

Are you suggesting they'll leave him uncovered? You do realize that stretching the field is not a coordinator decision unless the decision is to leave him wide open behind coverage. Romby's speed stretches the defence. Whether or not he gets a ball thrown to him is irrelevant. Romby love him or hate him is one of the best in the league at stretching the field. His lack of production thus far may cause defences to gamble and give him a little room behind coverage but that's a very risky play call on defence. One you are not likely to see.

No. I'm saying if Romby was any type of a threat by doing something with his speed, other teams defensive coordinators would have to scheme more for him being on the field.

He won't draw double coverage very much but that doesn't change the fact he stretches the field. He does so on nearly every play with his speed. It's not optional for a defence to ignore his speed. Would it be nice if that translated into more production....absolutely it would. However, if we are going to choose between two receivers that aren't producing statiscally we may as well go with the one that produces in another way.

It's actually a very logical reason, and makes sense when you think about it.  Romby has much better breakaway speed.  If they can get Moore in more one-on-one match ups then that's a good thing.

Maybe.  I don't think anyone respects Romby as a guy who can make any plays, speed or not.  Bryant's speed is kind of the equivalent of having a 200 IQ but being the laziest person on earth, what difference does it make if he doesn't use it?  Which is the equivalent of Kelly's height I suppose.  If there's anyone within a few yards of Bryant, he won't win that battle for the ball, and everyone knows it.  He can do something when teams completely lose track of him in the middle of the field though.  To be honest, I'd prefer using Grigsby as a role player in and out of the backfield over dressing either Bryant or Kelly, but I don't trust our coaches to give Cotton a chance if Grigsby's on the roster either, so I'm fine with him sitting this week.

Maybe.  I don't think anyone respects Romby as a guy who can make any plays, speed or not.  Bryant's speed is kind of the equivalent of having a 200 IQ but being the laziest person on earth, what difference does it make if he doesn't use it?  Which is the equivalent of Kelly's height I suppose.  If there's anyone within a few yards of Bryant, he won't win that battle for the ball, and everyone knows it.  He can do something when teams completely lose track of him in the middle of the field though.  To be honest, I'd prefer using Grigsby as a role player in and out of the backfield over dressing either Bryant or Kelly, but I don't trust our coaches to give Cotton a chance if Grigsby's on the roster either, so I'm fine with him sitting this week.

I agree and am certainly not suggesting that Romby is a prize. I do wish we would have went with Grigsby ahead of the other two as well and let JFG take Kelly's spot. Grigsby and Cotton could then give the defence some headaches and a fresh look in a 2 back set occasionally and we could start an extra import elsewhere.

Which is the equivalent of Kelly's height I suppose.  If there's anyone within a few yards of Bryant, he won't win that battle for the ball, and everyone knows it.  He can do something when teams completely lose track of him in the middle of the field though.  

That's funny, I've seen a number of times where Kelly goes up and contests for the ball over a few defenders, and...he comes down with the catch.

Which is the equivalent of Kelly's height I suppose.  If there's anyone within a few yards of Bryant, he won't win that battle for the ball, and everyone knows it.  He can do something when teams completely lose track of him in the middle of the field though.  

That's funny, I've seen a number of times where Kelly goes up and contests for the ball over a few defenders, and...he comes down with the catch.

Kelly's pretty good at leveraging defenders in zone, basically posting up in the middle of the field and taking some contact.  Other than a highlight reel catch in the first game, I'd have a hard time saying I've seen him pull down any jump balls, which is what people expect his specialty to be when they see him.  It isn't, and he's not exactly a beast when he needs to fight through a defender in any circumstance, which is why he's a 6'5 receiver with a great ACC career who never even got into a NFL mini-camp.  Can't beat anybody.

Kelly has flaws. We all know that, but we certainly have to give him credit where credit is due.

He has made a number of tough catches, over and under, a number of defenders over the course of the year.

If he could/would do that consistently, we wouldn't have to worry about who to take out of the lineup.

To deny him his dues is just bias, IMO, and unwarranted.

Oh good.  O'Shea is bringing Howard back in to RG just in time for the Odell Willis's somersault parade.  Secretly O'Shea hates Drew Willy cause he's a red headed step child.

Honestly, not sure why the dislike of howard, he hasn't played the last few weeks and our oline still sucked. It's pretty clear that it's not just one guy, It's also possible howard is actually better than the guy who has been playing ,was it jarvis jones? cuz he's been owned several times the last few weeks. Just like everyone else on the OLINE tho really. 

As for bryant and kelly, well crap is still crap regardless of what number is on it's back so really not that big of a deal IMO.

Kelly has the size and talent that he should be a guy who shows up week to week, he doesn't tho, he goes missing for long periods of time, he has all the tools except he seems to lack the most important one and that's whats between the ears, the guy has given up on plays a few times too. Bryant? meh, maybe he's a better blocker than kelly, maybe the reason he is playing this week and kelly isn't is because last week bryant made one hell of an effort play to tackle a guy on an interception, where was kelly? probably 40 yards back. 

Hard to say. Kelly? Bryant? same player really, might get a little more hustle tho with Romby at this point. 

Kelly's been great in the short passing game lately.  He's averaged 60 yards a game our past four games -- in fact, he's averaging a couple more yards a game than Denmark is.  Whatever his shortcomings you can't say he hasn't been productive.

I dunno, maybe you want your big import WR to be more than a reliable checkdown.  Maybe he's just getting open because of all that space that Romby's opening up for him.

Romby i think can  be productive on crossing routes, he's had several big gainers this season on the crossing route. I wonder if Bryant has been used right? to the best of his abilities, putting him in a position to succeed instead of fail? Would like to see more crossing routes to Romby, where he can use his speed to gain some YAC yards.. With Moore back, it might be possible, you know he's gonna get double teamed a bit, leaving Denmark and Romby open more so than not one would think or hope. Hope Marcel actually uses the guys we are rostering this week to the best of their abilities, going deep to bryant might not be using romby to the best of his abilities, Hitting him on a 5-10 yard crossing route that he can turn into 15-20 or more due to his speed, he is fast, might make more sense. Perhaps with Moore back, we will see a bit of a different offensive approach to the game. 

Howard doesn't concern me too much, I mean Jones has been turnstiled the last few weeks like crazy, Howard playing Guard is not as bad as howard playing tackle, Tyler has played well so far on the OLINE so maybe Tyler,Howard can lock up that side of the line and give willy some time. Nobody else has managed to be able to do that this year, Why not try howard, might make for a better guard than tackle. Would seriously consider sitting January tho, Give Anderson a shot.. He can't be worse than January has  been, still seems to get a free pass tho when it comes to the oline, Howard has played a few games, he takes heat, January has played them all and hasn't looked good in any of them really.. more bad than good thats for sure and he's a vet. Howard is really a rookie still to the CFL. 

Why don't bomber fans like calling out Glenn January?