Kelly benched instead of Romby

gbill2004

well this is a tough call. Kelly pulls his disappearing act a lot, but man Bryant and Willy have no chemistry at all and every time they've tried to go deep to Bryant the ball has been about 10 yards away from him.

Or Willy ends up his aa** because over the top stuff, regardless of speed, takes time to materialize AND as you say quite correctly, no chemistry.

People continue to talk out of both sides of their mouth here. They herald MOS as the saviour of this team and then do nothing but ***** about his hiring of co ordinations and that he continued to play Kuale , Grigsby and now playing Bryant over Kelly. You can't have it both ways .

People continue to talk out of both sides of their mouth here. They herald MOS as the saviour of this team and then do nothing but ***** about his hiring of co ordinations and that he continued to play Kuale , Grigsby and now playing Bryant over Kelly. You can't have it both ways .

Oh...sure we can!

People don't have to do that…there are plenty of other people who do that already.

Kelly's been great in the short passing game lately.  He's averaged 60 yards a game our past four games -- in fact, he's averaging a couple more yards a game than Denmark is.  Whatever his shortcomings you can't say he hasn't been productive.

I dunno, maybe you want your big import WR to be more than a reliable checkdown.  Maybe he's just getting open because of all that space that Romby's opening up for him.

This is all Marcel thinking he has a big play offence. After 3 quarters of 2 and outs again, they'll string together some 9 play drives just in time to run out of time. Complete and utter BS.

you can like a coach without blindly endorsing his every move. As long as the good outweighs the bad. 

Kelly's been great in the short passing game lately.  He's averaged 60 yards a game our past four games -- in fact, he's averaging a couple more yards a game than Denmark is.  Whatever his shortcomings you can't say he hasn't been productive.

I dunno, maybe you want your big import WR to be more than a reliable checkdown.  Maybe he's just getting open because of all that space that Romby's opening up for him.

This is all Marcel thinking he has a big play offence. After 3 quarters of 2 and outs again, they'll string together some 9 play drives just in time to run out of time. Complete and utter BS.

I've said time and time again, this offense looks much more proficient when they are running an up tempo three minute offense .. they consistently move the chains and put pressure on opposing defenses .. I'm not sure why it takes us 57 minutes before we start to move with urgency ..

well this is a tough call. Kelly pulls his disappearing act a lot, but man Bryant and Willy have no chemistry at all and every time they've tried to go deep to Bryant the ball has been about 10 yards away from him. 

Over the last several weeks I'd argue that you could put any receiver's name there. Willy has not been accurate at all on the long ball. Most of the 'big plays' are YAC yards not 40 - 50 yard bombs (not that those have a high completion rate anyway).

Bryant's biggest gains this year have come on YAC yards (all two of them) I don't recall one big play down field to him (though I recall plenty missed as 17to85 has eluded to). 

I'm not a big fan Bryant, and Kelly is more of a big target possession guy who I think complements Moore better. Last I checked - our first few games, what we WON, those were the receivers. But really what does it matter? 

This weekend is shaping up to be the killer weekend for Wpg (and I never thought of it when I picked my games, just thought of it this morning, already 2 - 0). With B.C. winning, and the given Edmonton route (I'll get my $100 Kal Tire coupon as Eskies will score more than 35 points :) ) and my sneaking suspicion that Sask will give Crompton his first loss at home, well, that means West 3 Wpg 0 which IMO pretty much eliminates us from the playoffs. 

My GF made a really good point on this situation this morning.  She mentioned Romby's impressive tackle at the end of the Ottawa game that saved a TD.  Game was over by then but Romby showed great effort and hustle.  O'Shea must have loved that, and with the rest of the team not showing much effort, he wanted to set an example that when you show effort like Romby did, you will get rewarded.  I was focusing on who is the better WR, but I think my GFs point has a lot to do with this move.

This is eerily similar to the Kelly era when we kept benching our leading receiver in order to bring a 'spark' into our offence...

Won/lost record will be similar too.

Crazy offensive schemes v crazy defensive schemes.

Animosity with the media.

At least we haven't traded away our draft picks yet for some magic beans.

We've wasted far more opportunities and lost far move drives going to Bryant than going to Kelly. Bryant has been the single biggest negative contributing factor to our offense this season, so this decision is mind boggling. Romby saved himself a roster spot by his effort on that last meaningless play, congrats Romby you tool.. Heck we probably have 2 more wins on the season now if Romby was never brought in this season.

We've wasted far more opportunities and lost far move drives going to Bryant than going to Kelly. Bryant has been the single biggest negative contributing factor to our offense this season, so this decision is mind boggling. Romby saved himself a roster spot by his effort on that last meaningless play, congrats Romby you tool.. Heck we probably have 2 more wins on the season now if Romby was never brought in this season.

I'm not a huge fan of Bryant but 2 more wins if he was never brought in? That's crazy talk. The biggest negative factor to our offense this season has been our oline and the fact that our #1 receiver has been injured the last several weeks. Bryant isn't the reason or only reason we are "struggling" on offense thats for certain. 

GBills GF is probably right in all this. Bryant showed hustle, meaningless play? when you have a young team trying to learn that the game isn't over until the final whistle blows, i would say that wasn't a meaningless play at all.. Last few years we saw multiple players quit on every play the minute the other team had a 10 point lead... I wouldn't call hustling down field to save a touchdown a meaningless play at all, especially when you are trying to show guys that the game isn't over until its over.. can say what you will but there have been so many games over the years where teams have been down by 20 or more even in the final quarter or final few minutes of the game and came back and won, Toronto vs Hamilton was an example, Winnipeg vs BC a few years ago is another. If im the coach, I'll take a Romby Bryant hustle play like that over most anything else, i'm just curious tho in all of this, did anyone see where kelly was on this play? was he on the ground? did he fall down and not get back up? gave up on the play? It's an important  piece that nobody has mentioned yet, where the hell was aaron kelly on that play? 

I've said time and time again, this offense looks much more proficient when they are running an up tempo three minute offense .. they consistently move the chains and put pressure on opposing defenses .. I'm not sure why it takes us 57 minutes before we start to move with urgency ..

Agree fully.  Bellefeuille doesn't seem to care much about tempo, we've gotta be one of the slowest teams between plays, but tossing in some no huddle and controlling the pace of the game is something that could mask some of the deficiencies personnel-wise.

Do people forget last season when Bellefeuille ran a fast tempo offense that literally the defense barely got on the bench before running back on the field.

That's part of the reason to run a slow methodical offense. Allows our defense to rest and keeps the other teams offense off the field.  Problem is when we run this type of offense, we don't score.

Do people forget last season when Bellefeuille ran a fast tempo offense that literally the defense barely got on the bench before running back on the field.

That's part of the reason to run a slow methodical offense. Allows our defense to rest and keeps the other teams offense off the field.  Problem is when we run this type of offense, we don't score.

And it doesn't give the defense much of a rest if the offense isn't getting first downs in any case.

Getting out of the huddle quicker or running no huddle doesn't necessarily take up less time either, just gives the opposing defense less time and our offense more time to adjust pre-snap.