Are We Making Progress?

BigBlue

We started well this year with a five and one record so I understood that the Bomber coaching staff did not want to make changes, other than to plug a hole due to injury. However in the last seven games, we have only won once.

Yes we've done a little tweaking, adding a couple of Canadian prospects, and signing or trading for defensive line replacements. But by and large, I have not personally seen any real attempt to upgrade our personnel on the field.

Are we really unable to locate a better receiver or halfback? Why are we so complacent about our long snapper situation? Can we not find linebackers and defensive ends that fit our schemes?

Have we decided to just "stand pat" until next spring's training camp?

Would it really kill us to outbid another CFL team for the veteran returnees who did not make it in their NFL tryouts?

It's a time honoured CFL tradition to bring in American prospects over the course of the summer. Many such prospects have helped their new teams immediately and had a real impact on the outcome of the season. I say some, not all. What have we done in July, August and even September; I am not not talking October: Signing practice roster players with the intention of making change in next year's training camp is fine. But what about right now?

Our current management and coaching have a very specific philosophy in how they have been running the club since the season opened. I can't quite identify what it is but my intuition tells me it is not in the realm of conventional CFL wisdom. I can smell it and it frustrates me.

Yes we have upgraded this team over last year and I am sort of happy about that; on the other hand, how could any team stay as pathetic as we were in 2013?

I am disappointed.

Other than normal maturing that comes with experience, what has this club done to improve itself since its first victory in July?

Personnel changes and trades are one thing. But I am wondering about everything and anything that can be done to develop our football team.

Is it just me? Or is there something I don't know about?

Well, it is a process. I think the bombers have improved greatly as they only won one game last year (yes yes yes I know they beat Montreal twice but I've said it 1000 times Montreal played worse than Wpg, that's how we won the game, if Mtrl played - especially in the second game where we had FIVE turnovers to Mtrl's two but Cavillo who hated the new offence couldn't do anything and we won by 5 points but really one drive by Cavillo and we lose that game) and that was the Banjo bowl. 

This year we have 6 wins - which is what I was expecting. I was hoping for an 8 - 10 season after our 'hot' start (check it, I said it after we went 5 - 1) which to me would be a great season. After last nights loss 8 wins will be a stretch. I know everyone here expects us to beat Ottawa but Ottawa is due for another win, and the Wpg Blue Bombers is precisely what the doctor ordered for them. With an Ottawa win next week (if it happens) is see no way for us to win two of our remaining four games against Edmonton (in Edmonton where we always get trounced it seems, and it will be a blow out that game, White will be my RB and Reilly will be QB and edm D will be my D for CFL fantasy that week, and Calgary twice and B.C. Maybe, maybe we beat B.C. if Glenn craps the bed (which he will if the weather is windy and cold which it could be) but that's it. 

So, 8 - 10 is still possible, which after last years debacle is a quantum leap. I'm confident we'll only get better next year and MOS and Walters are learning too. 

But, realistically, I think best we can do now is 7 - 11. If we don't beat Ottawa then the B.C. game is our only other chance at a win for the rest of the year. At least we keep the games close and entertaining, not like last years embarrassment of a team/organisation. 

Yes there is a lot of progress being made. The problem now is that they have quite a number of injuries and no depth to over come that. The GM needs to get his ass in gear in the offseason and build some depth. When healthy they were winning the close games, when not healthy they are losing close games, it's not rocket surgery here. 

We have a starting QB and that's the key piece that we've been missing for many years.   And it gives me hope that Willy will just get better and better as he gains more experience.  Now it's up to the scouting staff o out and improve the supporting cast.  And if that means we go out and over pay for a couple of premium free agents. Then that's what we have to do.   

Yes there is a lot of progress being made. The problem now is that they have quite a number of injuries and no depth to over come that. The GM needs to get his ass in gear in the offseason and build some depth. When healthy they were winning the close games, when not healthy they are losing close games, it's not rocket surgery here. 

I might qualifty this a bit...  Sherman and Bucknor are considered depth, they have over-achieved (and possibly performed better than Newman or Alexander would have).  With Jones emerging and even Briggs, our D/ST cdn depth looks strong to me.

Walters has done a pretty good job with building Cdn depth in one season... somehow we just ended up with no depth at import RB or REC - which is baffling.

Of course, the OL is exempt from all of these statements.  And has been for five years now...  I mean the 'core' of our OL are still two guys that Kelly brought in.

We have not progressed from game 1 to game 13 of the 2014 season, which is the most disappointing thing. I'm actually happy with the 6 wins so far but there isn't much to be optimistic about for the remainder of this season at the current pace of things.

It's a matter of perspective.  You can't really compare the current roster to the one that started the season, mostly due to injuries.  It's pretty hard to measure progression when so many guys who started the first game are not playing.

Realistically some of the early season success can be attributed to opponents not being very familiar with a QB they had seen very little of and not having seen the offensive and defensive schemes. After the first third of the sked teams had seen enough to figure out how to best play against the Bombers. A season remanisant to the 2011 season a new staff , they go 7-1 and then hang onto go to the playoffs. Progress is showing continued improvement in all facets of the game, reduced mistakes and reduced stupid penalties .

We have not progressed from game 1 to game 13 of the 2014 season, which is the most disappointing thing. I'm actually happy with the 6 wins so far but there isn't much to be optimistic about for the remainder of this season at the current pace of things.

It's a matter of perspective.  You can't really compare the current roster to the one that started the season, mostly due to injuries.  It's pretty hard to measure progression when so many guys who started the first game are not playing.

It's the same standard for all teams in the league, injuries effect everyone.

yes but the point here is that the bombers aren't a deep team and we knew that going into the year. I think what it shows more than anything is that when healthy this is a decent team, but when not healthy they don't have that extra gear to pick up the wins. 

yes but the point here is that the bombers aren't a deep team and we knew that going into the year. I think what it shows more than anything is that when healthy this is a decent team, but when not healthy they don't have that extra gear to pick up the wins. 

Well one sign of progression would be your starting qb running the 2 minute drill. He shouldn't have to have plays called in week 13th should he?

Of course it is.  But it was clear going into the season that they could ill-afford injuries at certain positions.

Measuring their improvement by that standard means you're measuring how much they could improve their depth during the season.  Depth isn't very likely to improve after TC.

Realistically some of the early season success can be attributed to opponents not being very familiar with a QB they had seen very little of and not having seen the offensive and defensive schemes. After the first third of the sked teams had seen enough to figure out how to best play against the Bombers. A season remanisant to the 2011 season a new staff , they go 7-1 and then hang onto go to the playoffs. Progress is showing continued improvement in all facets of the game, reduced mistakes and reduced stupid penalties .

Fair point. They are showing every sign of a team with a young QB and few other pieces missing right now.

As always in Bomber land, unfinished business remains the mantra.

I can't disagree with this. Earlier in the season we were winning the tight games like the one we played on Saturday. Not anymore. I'm not sure I have the faith in this team to go beyond 7 wins this year.

Of course it is.  But it was clear going into the season that they could ill-afford injuries at certain positions.

Measuring their improvement by that standard means you're measuring how much they could improve their depth during the season.  Depth isn't very likely to improve after TC.

As there is no way to know how the team would be doing without injuries, you can only base it on how they have done with them, and that is what I have done.

At the risk of actually fitting a square peg into a round hole...I'll just leave it at that.

Only because I think this is a good topic to discuss, I will make it easy for you. imo the only significant injury that has cost us has been at long snapper.

Zach Anderson, Nic Moore, and Jason Vega.

At the risk of actually fitting a square peg into a round hole...I'll just leave it at that.

Only because I think this is a good topic to discuss, I will make it easy for you. imo the only significant injury that has cost us has been at long snapper.

Zach Anderson, Nic Moore, and Jason Vega.

and....how exactly do we know that? Have their replacements made mistakes that lead directly to losses.

Progress?

Found a QB who can throw the ball, is tough, and has big upside

Found a coach, that the team busts their ass for, right to the end, no matter what the situation

May have ended the revolving door at kick returner

Got rid of some of the "me me attitude" that has held us up, the last number of years

Found our all round CDN kicker, going forward

Plugged the gaping hole at Safety, moving forward

Overall, far better play in secondary

That said, there were (and still are) limitations that pretty well put a ceiling, on how much progress, we were gong to make.

1.  Depth - this was not exactly a military secret - if we ran into injuries,things were going to get iffy - we miss Ian Wild, big time and Moore and Anderson were taking up key roles while healthy, and Patty N, was supposed to take on another.   The ongoing Watson/Sears thing didn't help.  The long snapping is killing us on a weekly basis. 

2.  OL - we play 3 Yanks on the line, yet are terribly inconsistent,  run game is off/on,Willy is taking a serious pounding and January is really slowing down.  Single biggest organization fail.... is the inability to find some import guys, among the gazillion in the US, until the Domestic larder is restocked.

3. Under the unexpected - the Special teams - costing us points, field position and momentum, with a myriad of mistakes, on a weekly basis.   Either MOS has to take a more direct hand on this, or Tracy needs to depart....

Progress?

Found a coach, that the team busts their ass for, right to the end, no matter what the situation

Got rid of some of the "me me attitude" that has held us up, the last number of years

That said, there were (and still are) limitations that pretty well put a ceiling, on how much progress, we were gong to make.

1.  Depth - this was not exactly a military secret - if we ran into injuries,things were going to get iffy - we miss Ian Wild, big time and Moore and Anderson were taking up key roles while healthy, and Patty N, was supposed to take on another.   The ongoing Watson/Sears thing didn't help.  The long snapping is killing us on a weekly basis. 

2.  OL - we play 3 Yanks on the line, yet are terribly inconsistent,  run game is off/on,Willy is taking a serious pounding and January is really slowing down.  Single biggest organization fail.... is the inability to find some import guys, among the gazillion in the US, until the Domestic larder is restocked.

3. Under the unexpected - the Special teams - costing us points, field position and momentum, with a myriad of mistakes, on a weekly basis.   Either MOS has to take a more direct hand on this, or Tracy needs to depart....

I agree for the most part but i think numbers 1. and 3. go hand in hand. Thats where most your depth guys are used, special teams. lack of depth means special teams ain't so good. 

Progress?

I agree for the most part but i think numbers 1. and 3. go hand in hand. Thats where most your depth guys are used, special teams. lack of depth means special teams ain't so good. 

That is why depth was #1