QB Status - Willy to Start Saturday

BigBlue

For me, it still makes sense to start Brohm against the Cats and keep Willy in reserve even if he thinks he is at or nearly at 100%. If Brohm looks clueless, he can always be yanked- early or late. The playoffs are still theoretically possible but not worth risking Willy's future for unless absolutely necessary.

Why do you think they are risking Willy's future?  Some people here seem to be of the impression that his arm is half attached, one hit away from falling off.

If there was structural damage he wouldn't be throwing at all right now.

They are evaluating progress every time he throws.  If he shows enough, he plays.  If he doesn't show enough, he doesn't play.  This isn't about his ability to tolerate pain, although he certainly will have to do that.  It's about how much the pain affects his throws.  You or I can walk on a sprained ankle.  We can even run.  But it will be awkward, and the functionality of our walking will be diminished.

This is what they are testing when he throws.  If his functionality is diminished it will lead to incompletions and interceptions.  And then Brohm ends up going in anyways, except without preparation.  They would not be testing Willy in this manner if he wasn't close.

Now the concern is that if he takes another hit, he'll be back to the point where the pain affects his throwing motion and he's forced to wait 2 more weeks to get back to this point.  The concern isn't that he's putting his career at risk.  Every time he steps on the field he puts his career at risk.  There are 12 guys out there trying to hit him, 60+ times a game.

I don't think it's an injury that playing on will matter for his long term health. If it's not too sore Willy will start, that's how football goes, and if get's too sore Brohm will come in and finish up.

A 300+ lb. D.E. can inflict a serious amount of pain in an instant as happened when Durant met Mr. Turner.  If he's not healed sufficiently Willy won't have a chance to get sore, it's more likely he'll get broken.

Sure, he could break a leg which has nothing to do with a sprained shoulder.

Bryant Turner and Drew Willy locked in a room alone.

you better not be implying that Drew Willy is Chuck Norris......or is he??

Only one can come out alive?

Who?

Drew Willy is indestructible so no matter what Bryant Turner does you can't kill Willy, therefore after a lifetime of trying Turner will simply collapse from exhaustion.

I think a lot of people are freaking out because of Lulay and need to realize that it's very different injuries...

I agree, but that realization won't allow for them to scream about how the sky falling, so it's not going to happen.

Hyperbole on your part does not respect the conversation. The point is that when the importance of the game is weighed against significant and undue risk to Willy, all reasonable caution should be taken. O'Shea is new to being a head coach along with all the attendant stressors, so it would be easy for him to look past the risk and want the win too badly. It's not about Lulay- if Willy is still taking analgesics, that is not a good sign, but we do not know if it is prescription or OTC.

I think a lot of people are freaking out because of Lulay and need to realize that it's very different injuries...

I agree, but that realization won't allow for them to scream about how the sky falling, so it's not going to happen.

I think maybe Buck said he looked good to go, and they've been erring on the side of caution ever since! ;) 

I think maybe Buck said he looked good to go, and they've been erring on the side of caution ever since! ;)

This is a business, and the QB is one of your most valuable and expensive assets...they should be erring on the side of caution.

I was joking.... having the history with an injured QB we've had the last 3 seasons, they should be cautious!  If Willy is out there gunning it though, it was probably never really as bad as everyone thought!   We as Bomber fans with Buck back there were always holding our breath any time he got hit, and more often than not, it meant he was out.

It's okay to be worried... it's all we've known!  Whoever just said it... if there was structural or tissue damage, what have you... he wouldn't be practicing.  It's all mind games at this point I think!

Hyperbole on your part does not respect the conversation. The point is that when the importance of the game is weighed against significant and undue risk to Willy, all reasonable caution should be taken. O'Shea is new to being a head coach along with all the attendant stressors, so it would be easy for him to look past the risk and want the win too badly. It's not about Lulay- if Willy is still taking analgesics, that is not a good sign, but we do not know if it is prescription or OTC.

And what is the conversation?  Can you even tell me what the injury is?

Doesn't matter - OShea is under stress!  The wrong decision is being made!  If only the Bombers had doctors and trainers who could look into all of this!

Actually, this is the start of a pretty standard Lawless column: "More assumptions I'm making about OShea with zero knowledge"

The Bombers have training and medical staff who are intimately aware of the nature and seriousness of Drew's injury. The Bombers have a HC who has already established (Nick Moore) that he won't send a player out on the field less at less than 100%. I am not sure why some people seem to think that the Bombers would ignore the advice of team doctors, trainers, and then change their established position on injured players.

If Drew Willy plays Saturday, I am fully confident it is because he is not at any further risk of injury than normal and that he is able to compete at a high level. I am not sure why anyone would think differently. There is no basis for questioning the team on this.

This is football people.....players are nicked up all year long. This isn't macramé  class for cripes sakes.

The Bombers have training and medical staff who are intimately aware of the nature and seriousness of Drew's injury. The Bombers have a HC who has already established (Nick Moore) that he won't send a player out on the field less at less than 100%. I am not sure why some people seem to think that the Bombers would ignore the advice of team doctors, trainers, and then change their established position on injured players.

If Drew Willy plays Saturday, I am fully confident it is because he is not at any further risk of injury than normal and that he is able to compete at a high level. I am not sure why anyone would think differently. There is no basis for questioning the team on this.

This is football people.....players are nicked up all year long. This isn't macramé  class for cripes sakes.