Durant to miss remainder of season

Mr. Perfect

I think its going to be fun (and already is) to watch Rider fans say that a QB like Durant isn't important. You know, just ignore all those times when they said he was important.

Durant is totally important. He is a warrior and one of the top two or three qbs in the CFL and there is nobody I would rather have leading the Riders into the playoffs. Why does that mean that Sunseri sucks?

Nobody is saying Sunseri sucks. You should learn to identify a middle ground.

Thats like asking a rider fan to stay away from his sister.

Sucks for Durant.  He seems like a pretty good egg.

Obviously this will hurt the Riders chances, but their passing game had looked pretty useless as of late anyways.  The strength of that team is still it's trench players.  They'll still make some noise before getting knocked out of the playoffs (and then have a handy-dandy excuse to point to).

You guys may like excuses but you'll never hear one from me.  Sunseri may suck or he may be good.  Personally I think the latter.  With the team around him he doesn't have to be ridiculously good just solid.  If he can avoid turnovers and make a few passes, which he has done in his limited playing time, he'll be okay.  The Riders need to make the playoffs and then anything can happen.  No excuses because injuries happen.

That sucks for Durant and for the league.  It's certainly a downgrade at QB for Regina, but I think they can handle it because of their O line and their reliance on the running game.  They don't need their QB to throw for 300 yards to win.  150 yards will do it against a lot of teams.  I'll guess that the Riders win half of their remaining games, which should keep them in the playoffs.

The thing everyone is overlooking is that the whole dynamic of their offense changes. They are able to run so effectively because yes, they have a great OL and a three headed running attack. But the other factor is that Durant has earned the respect of opposing defenses. You can't just key in on stopping the run entirely because Durant is still back there with the ability to hurt you for six points through the air.

Tino isn't going to get handed that respect. Especially when teams watch film and see his inconsistency with the intermediate game. He's going to have to prove he can burn you with his arm before the run game can keep on trucking.

I think its going to be fun (and already is) to watch Rider fans say that a QB like Durant isn't important.  You know, just ignore all those times when they said he was important. 

Durant is totally important.  He is a warrior and one of the top two or three qbs in the CFL and there is nobody I would rather have leading the Riders into the playoffs.  Why does that mean that Sunseri sucks?  

In his snaps that he has played Sunseri has shown potential to be a solid CFL quarterback.  He looked good against BC and not so good against the Bombers.  Difference?  The Riders had a big lead on the Bombers so they went into a conservative mode.  Against BC Sunseri actually led the Riders to a victory.

Maybe I'm wrong and Sunseri will suck but I'm cautiously optimistic he'll do a good job.  I think you guys would feel the same in the same situation,

Sucks for Durant.  He seems like a pretty good egg.

Obviously this will hurt the Riders chances, but their passing game had looked pretty useless as of late anyways.  The strength of that team is still it's trench players.  They'll still make some noise before getting knocked out of the playoffs (and then have a handy-dandy excuse to point to).

You guys may like excuses but you'll never hear one from me.  Sunseri may suck or he may be good.  Personally I think the latter.  With the team around him he doesn't have to be ridiculously good just solid.  If he can avoid turnovers and make a few passes, which he has done in his limited playing time, he'll be okay.  The Riders need to make the playoffs and then anything can happen.  No excuses because injuries happen.

I feel for Durant it really sucks for him...but I am tired of hearing about the Riders. We played them well for three game...done and over. Who cares about Sunseri? mfranc...if all your going to do while trying to tell us to focus on BC is keep defending Sunseri and your team...give it a rest for awhile!

I think its going to be fun (and already is) to watch Rider fans say that a QB like Durant isn't important. You know, just ignore all those times when they said he was important.

Durant is totally important. He is a warrior and one of the top two or three qbs in the CFL and there is nobody I would rather have leading the Riders into the playoffs. Why does that mean that Sunseri sucks?

Thats like asking a rider fan to stay away from his sister.

Stay classy.

I think its going to be fun (and already is) to watch Rider fans say that a QB like Durant isn't important.  You know, just ignore all those times when they said he was important. 

Durant is totally important.  He is a warrior and one of the top two or three qbs in the CFL and there is nobody I would rather have leading the Riders into the playoffs.  Why does that mean that Sunseri sucks?  

In his snaps that he has played Sunseri has shown potential to be a solid CFL quarterback.  He looked good against BC and not so good against the Bombers.  Difference?  The Riders had a big lead on the Bombers so they went into a conservative mode.  Against BC Sunseri actually led the Riders to a victory.

Maybe I'm wrong and Sunseri will suck but I'm cautiously optimistic he'll do a good job.  I think you guys would feel the same in the same situation,

what? they threw the ball downfield more with Sunseri in the game than they did with Durant in the game, and Sunseri didn't hit his receivers. That's a bullshit argument to even try and make. 

Sucks for Durant and for the league, bad bad luck.

Sask has a rough schedule coming up... they're record is as inflated as ours was...

Edmonton three times, Calgary twice...  Montreal and Ham defences are starting to get it together

If Sunseri gets lit up by Hammie this weekend, things will unravel quick... 

Great OL and RB or not, you need a quarterback... Taman knows this more than anyone

what? they threw the ball downfield more with Sunseri in the game than they did with Durant in the game, and Sunseri didn't hit his receivers. That's a bullshit argument to even try and make. 

So he didn't lead the Riders to a win over the Lions or you are talking about the Bomber game?

I think you have seen that when the Bombers play a team with a good running backs but don't have the QB to make the throws they have been really good at stopping the run. But against the elite quarterbacks they cant play the same way and have got burned by the run.

That sucks for Durant and for the league.  It's certainly a downgrade at QB for Regina, but I think they can handle it because of their O line and their reliance on the running game.  They don't need their QB to throw for 300 yards to win.  150 yards will do it against a lot of teams.  I'll guess that the Riders win half of their remaining games, which should keep them in the playoffs.

The thing everyone is overlooking is that the whole dynamic of their offense changes. They are able to run so effectively because yes, they have a great OL and a three headed running attack. But the other factor is that Durant has earned the respect of opposing defenses. You can't just key in on stopping the run entirely because Durant is still back there with the ability to hurt you for six points through the air.

Tino isn't going to get handed that respect. Especially when teams watch film and see his inconsistency with the intermediate game. He's going to have to prove he can burn you with his arm before the run game can keep on trucking.

The offence changes a bit but Tino's been with the team for awhile.  Cortez will reconfigure the game plan.  The Riders may stumble a bit with Sunseri but it is a great opportunity to get him some reps.  I honestly think Tino will be a solid CFL qb.

Yes, but given the number of points they have generated on defence and special teams this year, they will hang around in most games regardless of who's under center.

Sunseri might not need to be anything beyond passably competent for the Riders to finish 3rd in the west.

So he didn't lead the Riders to a win over the Lions or you are talking about the Bomber game?

The bolded is what I'm talking about. They didn't go any more conservative against Winnipeg, I would even say they got more aggressive because they actually took shots down field with him when the most Durant did in the game was a few passes to Dressler. Durants passes were on target though and worked whereas Sunseri didn't complete his passes and led his offense off the field. So don't give me that crap about them going conservative. They went "conservative" because that's all they could bloody do. 

The bolded is what I'm talking about. They didn't go any more conservative against Winnipeg, I would even say they got more aggressive because they actually took shots down field with him when the most Durant did in the game was a few passes to Dressler. Durants passes were on target though and worked whereas Sunseri didn't complete his passes and led his offense off the field. So don't give me that crap about them going conservative. They went "conservative" because that's all they could bloody do. 

Okay.  We'll see how the kid does but personally I think he does okay.  I say he goes at least 4-4 and maybe 5-3.  If I'm wrong that sucks for the Riders but is good for you guys.

;)

The offence changes a bit but Tino's been with the team for awhile.  Cortez will reconfigure the game plan.  The Riders may stumble a bit with Sunseri but it is a great opportunity to get him some reps.  I honestly think Tino will be a solid CFL qb.

I'm not talking about what the Riders do. I'm talking about what other teams do against them. And that changes. A lot.

I'm not talking about what the Riders do. I'm talking about what other teams do against them. And that changes. A lot.

I assume you believe other teams will stack the box and dare the Riders to pass?  I'm sure Cortez will be anticipating that and prepare Tino accordingly.

I assume you believe other teams will stack the box and dare the Riders to pass?  I'm sure Cortez will be anticipating that and prepare Tino accordingly.

And then what happens if he can't? And I'm not talking about once, so don't bring up some obscure single throw like last time. I'm talking about consistently.

And while we're at it ... let's raise some other concerns. Tino is *the* guy now. Wasn't the big knock on him in college that he absolutely SUCKED at being *the* guy?

I'm pretty sure the Bombers prepared Kliff Kingsbury accordingly.  And Tommy Chang.  And Tee Martin.  And Ryan Dinwiddie.  And Alex Brink.  And Joey Elliott.  And Sammy Garza.  And Brian Randle.  And Brian Ah Yat.

Hang on, going to go get a drink of water.  Brb to finish the Brian section...

it's as simple as this: On Sunday Durant was 8 of 9 passing and Sunseri was 2 of 5.... you really think the offense doesn't change with a drop off like that in the passing game? Durant was doing just enough to move the sticks with the heavy run game, Sunseri was not. We have seen it time and time again in the CFL, the more film you get on young qbs the more they are exploited by defenses. Durant, a guy who is a proven 5000 yard passer and Grey Cup winner has to be given a lot of respect as an opposing defense, Sunseri? Who the **** is that kid? Take the run away and make him prove that he can actualyl beat you with his arm. 

I'm pretty sure the Bombers prepared Kliff Kingsbury accordingly.  And Tommy Chang.  And Tee Martin.  And Ryan Dinwiddie.  And Alex Brink.  And Joey Elliott.  And Sammy Garza.  And Brian Randle.  And Brian Ah Yat.

Hang on, going to go get a drink of water.  Brb to finish the Brian section...

After reading that list, think I need some rye instead of water.

From what I saw of Sunseri he looked terrible.

Enjoy sucking the rest of the year Saskatchewan! Hope all the Rider "fans" dont break there ankles jumping off the bandwagon.

Keeping in mind Durant's age and declining play this year he may potentialy be done as a starter.