Durant to miss remainder of season

Mr. Perfect

clearly not enough people here have experienced Regina...  ;)

Seriously, that video made me laugh so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks.  If that video wasn't a mockery I truly feel sorry for the good people of Regina.  And no, I won't be visiting Regina any time soon based on those attractions.

Especially like the subliminal bit at 2:23

I would venture the theory that the rural folk in Manitoba bothered by it are the same ones that already dislike Winnipeg to begin with and use it as one more reason to slag the "big uncaring city".  The whole "Country/small town vs Big City" debate is neverending out here.

why puts quotes around big uncaring city? There is a very clear divide between the priorities that Winnipeg has and what rural Manitoba has. Their voting patterns illustrate that quite nicely. Winnipeg having over half the population of the province basically runs roughshod over the rest of the province and there is rightly some resentment about it. 

I would venture the theory that the rural folk in Manitoba bothered by it are the same ones that already dislike Winnipeg to begin with and use it as one more reason to slag the "big uncaring city".  The whole "Country/small town vs Big City" debate is neverending out here.

why puts quotes around big uncaring city? There is a very clear divide between the priorities that Winnipeg has and what rural Manitoba has. Their voting patterns illustrate that quite nicely. Winnipeg having over half the population of the province basically runs roughshod over the rest of the province and there is rightly some resentment about it. 

Just separating how I feel about Winnipeg from others here in Westman.  I like Winnipeg since I lived there for many years so I tend to land in the middle whenever the city/country debate starts up.

clearly not enough people here have experienced Regina... ;)

Seriously, that video made me laugh so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks. If that video wasn't a mockery I truly feel sorry for the good people of Regina. And no, I won't be visiting Regina any time soon based on those attractions.

That funny video was made during the dreaded NDP days. Thank The Lord those dark days are over.

Here's a more modern one. :)

http://youtu.be/-VTdvubRIWU

I personaly love Saskatchewan as a province and I hope it doesnt develope to much... That's why I live in the prairies. I hate modern cities... I like small towns with everything you need and just a few short hours to cottage country

However, the only posters here with shots below the belt and stirring things up are the bomber fans... Rider fans are being very respectfull considering the circumstances right now

There's resentment like that everywhere. In Alberta, with nearly 4.5 million people, we have 3.5 million living in cities like Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Ft McMurray & Grande Prairie. Rural folk hate the city folk.

And some of it is legitimate.  For example, the big cities carry most of the political clout.  There are 'paved' roads in rural MB. that wash out right down to the gravel, and don't get fixed for half a year.  Rural people 'put up and shut up' more than many realize.

There's resentment like that everywhere. In Alberta, with nearly 4.5 million people, we have 3.5 million living in cities like Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Ft McMurray & Grande Prairie. Rural folk hate the city folk.

And some of it is legitimate.  For example, the big cities carry most of the political clout.  There are 'paved' roads in rural MB. that wash out right down to the gravel, and don't get fixed for half a year.  Rural people 'put up and shut up' more than many realize.

I can show you city streets where this happens... it is not strictly a rural problem.

Don't city roads get fixed by city taxes?

The province also contributes to the city's infrastructure.

premier Greg Selinger and Mayor Sam Katz said the province will contribute $250 million to the city to repair existing roads and bridges over five years.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/Province-unveils-five-year-infrastructure-plan-248580601.html

You driven around The 'Peg lately?

Roads are bad all over the country.  A lot of it is simply to do with weather.

Go to North Dakota or Minnesota, where they get the same weather, and see how nice their roads are compared to ours.

Go to North Dakota or Minnesota, where they get the same weather, and see how nice their roads are compared to ours.

Must be a Canadian thing then.

When looking for answers to humanity's great questions, always start with money.

As in having a tenth of the population means our budget for capital works projects is a tenth of theirs.  Less really, as we prioritize the tax dollars differently, with health care getting a massive chunk of the pie.  Although their budget for miscellaneous wars is much higher than ours.

The roads they construct have a base that's twice as thick as ours, that's why they don't experience similar road heaves when the temperatures fluctuate.

In addition, for the US typically road repairs is the first idea that politicians trot out anytime there is a downturn in the economy.  Job creation, yada yada yada, but the long term effect is not the creation of a sustainable job, so their economy cycles thru mini-recessions quite frequently, which helps keep their roads under constant repair.  Which is why sections of road on the I-29 are getting ripped out and replaced despite being nicer than sections of the 75 that were poured 2 years ago.

When looking for answers to humanity's great questions, always start with money.

As in having a tenth of the population means our budget for capital works projects is a tenth of theirs.  Less really, as we prioritize the tax dollars differently, with health care getting a massive chunk of the pie.  Although their budget for miscellaneous wars is much higher than ours.

The roads they construct have a base that's twice as thick as ours, that's why they don't experience similar road heaves when the temperatures fluctuate.

In addition, for the US typically road repairs is the first idea that politicians trot out anytime there is a downturn in the economy.  Job creation, yada yada yada, but the long term effect is not the creation of a sustainable job, so their economy cycles thru mini-recessions quite frequently, which helps keep their roads under constant repair.  Which is why sections of road on the I-29 are getting ripped out and replaced despite being nicer than sections of the 75 that were poured 2 years ago.

I believe soil conditions are not exactly the same from region to region but it is probably a lesser factor than the ones you mentioned. I also believe the politics of money does have a great deal to do with it. You will Prioritize spending differently if you are bouncing along on a secondary highway than if you are lying in hospital bed. In general infrastructure is failing all over North America as we don't seem to have the money to repair. Even Minnesota had that big bridge collapse. Montreal had its high profile issues as well.

I'm sure the state of streets in WInnipeg are directly related to them not being maintained for the last 10 years. Sam Katz and his crooked cronies too busy lining their own pockets and spending money on their pet projects.

I can show you city streets where this happens... it is not strictly a rural problem.

If this happens, it's not in high traffic areas or areas with a lot of semi traffic.  In many rural areas there's no consideration that a road might be needed for harvest.

If this happens, it's not in high traffic areas or areas with a lot of semi traffic.  In many rural areas there's no consideration that a road might be needed for harvest.

City folk just don't understand the situation rural areas are in. 

The reason the interstate highway system is structurally overbuilt in the U.S. is because it was designed to transport the military for defencive purposes at a cost of over 5 billion dollars.  All other roads in the US are built to the same standards as the roads in Canada and are in about the same condition.  Frost does play a huge role in the deterioration of roadways so in general highways in the south last longer and require far less maintenance.  Areas that have a clay base (lake bottom) subject to freezing such as are found in the Red River Valley are notoriously difficult to maintain.  Fact of geography.

The highway you take to emerson border crossing (75?) is apparently rebuilt to our best level of highway standards... You then cross the border and almost instantly you see and feel the difference..

Also, in town construction goes all day and night. they also fix the road once its fixed after like 7 years.. Here, a year later its torn up and redone.. I lost count how many times they have redone dugald road here in transcona...