2 Games ;2 Losses; 0 Holding Calls on Riders

I'd say the loss came from the blocked fg for a TD and the hold on the kick return that let dressler waltz right by the defender..

IF you tackle the guy before he's already returned the ball to midfield the holding never has a chance to happen... When you let a returner get to the point where there's only one guy with a chance of stopping him you've failed in your coverage a long time before. 

That's absolutely true, but it doesn't mean there wasn't a hold and that it shouldn't have been called.

I'd say the loss came from the blocked fg for a TD and the hold on the kick return that let dressler waltz right by the defender..

IF you tackle the guy before he's already returned the ball to midfield the holding never has a chance to happen... When you let a returner get to the point where there's only one guy with a chance of stopping him you've failed in your coverage a long time before. 

That's absolutely true, but it doesn't mean there wasn't a hold and that it shouldn't have been called.

yeah but when the coaches break down the film you think they will say to the team "OK it's not your fault, the refs just missed the holding"? What they're going to do are highlight the guys who didn't contain the returner initially because that's where the biggest mistake on the play came in. 

What drives me crazy the most is the rider fans try and then say "oh well theres no holding called on the bombers on X" and almost gaurenteed if you look back at the PVR replay there was no holding whatsoever.

Bad reffing is one thing, but, our team also threw away plenty of chances to win.

We should have won the 1st game but Drew threw it away.

LDC was a coin toss, and O'Shea made a very poor coaching decision

We had a glorious chance in the Banjo Bowl and Willy again threw it away.

Drew is "young" I guess, at 28, but these kinds of bone headed throws are the sort of thing he was supposed to help us avoid. Really concerning me that he basically threw away 2 games on terrible picks.

I will agree, those 2 throws are back breakers BUT we shouldnt even be in those positions to have to force those throws... Also, the guy whos making those ints is the same cool customer who has orchastrated 2 (or 3?) Unreal last minute combacks.. Good with bad..

Unreal comebacks against the East. The interceptions are completely unacceptable. A #1 QB gets you those comeback wins while also not throwing games away. It's what makes qb's great. Frankly the lustre we saw on Drew is coming off mighty fast.

Do you realize Willy is essentially a rookie? He's still learning but has all the tools, both mental and physical, that you'd want in your starting QB.

He can be a rookie until the cows come home but he's had years learning behind Durant and is 28. And bad decision making isn't something you can necessarily fix overnight. If Willy indeed does have bad decision making and can be made to panic in the pocket we're in for a very very long rebuild.

And people wonder why Winnipeg doesn't develop any Quarterbacks? Not everyone is Ricky Ray. So Willy is 28, has thrown for 2889 yards, 12 TD and 11 INT according to cfl.ca

The first time Anthony Calvillo threw for 2889+ yards was in 2000 (and Willy is there with 7 games left) he also had 27 TD and 5 INT, that was his breakout year in those categories. He was 28

The difference between 28 year old calvillo and 28 year old Willy is prior to 28 Calvillo had 1697 pass attempts, 14,279 yards and 76 TD and 76 INT

Willy prior to to this year had 147 pass attempts, 1182 yards 9TD and 5 INT's

So give him time, it takes time playing to develop. Calvillo had 6 seasons under his belt before he broke out, you're freaking out when willy has half a season where he's actually playing.

What drives me crazy the most is the rider fans try and then say "oh well theres no holding called on the bombers on X" and almost gaurenteed if you look back at the PVR replay there was no holding whatsoever.

Bad reffing is one thing, but, our team also threw away plenty of chances to win.

Drew is "young" I guess, at 28, but these kinds of bone headed throws are the sort of thing he was supposed to help us avoid. Really concerning me that he basically threw away 2 games on terrible picks.

I will agree, those 2 throws are back breakers BUT we shouldnt even be in those positions to have to force those throws... Also, the guy whos making those ints is the same cool customer who has orchastrated 2 (or 3?) Unreal last minute combacks.. Good with bad..

Unreal comebacks against the East. The interceptions are completely unacceptable. A #1 QB gets you those comeback wins while also not throwing games away. It's what makes qb's great. Frankly the lustre we saw on Drew is coming off mighty fast.

Do you realize Willy is essentially a rookie? He's still learning but has all the tools, both mental and physical, that you'd want in your starting QB.

He can be a rookie until the cows come home but he's had years learning behind Durant and is 28. And bad decision making isn't something you can necessarily fix overnight. If Willy indeed does have bad decision making and can be made to panic in the pocket we're in for a very very long rebuild.

And people wonder why Winnipeg doesn't develop any Quarterbacks? Not everyone is Ricky Ray. So Willy is 28, has thrown for 2889 yards, 12 TD and 11 INT according to cfl.ca

The first time Anthony Calvillo threw for 2889+ yards was in 2000 (and Willy is there with 7 games left) he also had 27 TD and 5 INT, that was his breakout year in those categories. He was 28

The difference between 28 year old calvillo and 28 year old Willy is prior to 28 Calvillo had 1697 pass attempts, 14,279 yards and 76 TD and 76 INT

So give him time, it takes time playing to develop. Calvillo had 6 seasons under his belt before he broke out, you're freaking out when willy has half a season where he's actually playing.

Nice informative stats.

The problem is you aren't having a conversation with the poster.  He essentially just walks into threads, takes a dump on the floor and walks away.  Information is wasted on him.

Nice informative stats.

The problem is you aren't having a conversation with the poster.  He essentially just walks into threads, takes a dump on the floor and walks away.  Information is wasted on him.

So true.

What I see is that we have one guy who says he is 14 yrs. old and posts older, and this poster who probably is older…but posts like he's 14 yrs. old.

yeah but when the coaches break down the film you think they will say to the team "OK it's not your fault, the refs just missed the holding"? What they're going to do are highlight the guys who didn't contain the returner initially because that's where the biggest mistake on the play came in. 

I really don't see how the 2 things are related.  Of course the coaches will use the film to illustrate where the play broke down and point out the errors, so they can be corrected.  That's their job and it's the players job to execute.  Just like the refs blew a call that it is their job to make.... But I doubt they will be looking at film to see where they failed.

Two seperate things:  The Bombers failed to keep their lanes and make a tackle and the refs missed an obvious hold.

What I see is that we have one guy who says he is 14 yrs. old and posts older, and this poster who probably is older…but posts like he's 14 yrs. old.

Well, I hope I'm not out of turn, but lately this has been on my mind anyways, so here's some story time.

A long time ago in the wilderness, often called the official Winnipeg Blue Bombers Forum, there was a handsome young devil by the name of my blood runs gold.  Sort of a cross between Robert Redford and Ghandi, and crazy humble too.  Being somewhat younger than he is now, as we all tend to be when we travel back in time, this fellow, who we'll call mbrg for short, was still young enough to care about what random strangers said on the internet.  Crazy!

Now one day into this forum wilderness wandered a very young man.  For the purposes of this totally fictional tale, I'll make up a name.  We'll call him Fuhlooyuhd.  Fuhlooyuhd was new to this wilderness, a wilderness that mbrg had taken some amount of pride and ownership in, and like many of his very young age, he thought that brashness was how a person should navigate through this wilderness.  He had two pet birds, and to help him get around he would wave them in the air.  And while in some internet wildernesses that is simply the way things are done, mbrg and many others thought it was unnecessary, since we were all in this same wilderness together.

So often mbrg would take issue with Fuhlooyuhd, pointing out that he didn't need to use those birds so very often like young people of his age tended to do.  Sometimes these discussions got heated, as the older people who didn't use birds for navigation and communication had limited use for those that did.  It was probably a generational thing.  Anyways, one day a forest ranger intervened in the heated argument and took mbrg aside.  He acknowledged that while things were not ideal, arguing would do nothing to decrease this generational divide.  He suggested to mbrg that immaturity will almost always walk hand in hand with youth, and rather than try and lecture him to change, he rather demonstrate to young Fuhlooyuhd that there were ways of navigating our wilderness without using those birds so often, and to let mbrg's actions speak instead.  Mbrg tried to follow that ranger's advice, and though it wasn't always easy, after a while it was noticeable that young Fuhlooyuhd wasn't using his birds nearly as often as he once like to do.

Eventually mbrg left that wilderness, and left all wildernesses.  Time passed before mbrg ever found himself in such a wilderness again, but once he did, one of the first people he came across was young Fuhlooyuhd.  Except young Fuhlooyuhd wasn't that young anymore.  And he had matured enough that he navigated through the wilderness without ever resorting to bringing out his birds anymore.  Mbrg marveled at how time had changed Fuhlooyuhd as a person, and he wondered how many other people that ranger had spoken to.  Although they still didn't always agree on which path to take, mbrg thought that Fuhlooyuhd had become quite a fine young navigator in his own right.

And mbrg?  Well he had grown into a cross between George Clooney and Mother Teresa.  And was still crazy humble to boot.

I really don't see how the 2 things are related. Of course the coaches will use the film to illustrate where the play broke down and point out the errors, so they can be corrected. That's their job and it's the players job to execute. Just like the refs blew a call that it is their job to make.... But I doubt they will be looking at film to see where they failed.

Two seperate things: The Bombers failed to keep their lanes and make a tackle and the refs missed an obvious hold.

As part of their jobs, refs will look at tape before and after games. The after part is to review what they did well and what they didn't. They also get graded on their performances. Those grades determine things like who gets to ref playoff games and who gets promotions.

Those reviews just aren't made public. Nor should they be. Refs are humans and are making split second decisions There will always be mistakes. But their performance most certainly is reviewed.

I really don't see how the 2 things are related.  Of course the coaches will use the film to illustrate where the play broke down and point out the errors, so they can be corrected.  That's their job and it's the players job to execute.  Just like the refs blew a call that it is their job to make.... But I doubt they will be looking at film to see where they failed.

Two seperate things:  The Bombers failed to keep their lanes and make a tackle and the refs missed an obvious hold.

The point is, that if you are play well and take care of your own play and don't make mistakes then the refs don't come into play at all. 

The point is, that if you are play well and take care of your own play and don't make mistakes then the refs don't come into play at all. 

Obviously, but why use if's?

If Dressler had of muffed the punt reception, he never would have had the chance to return it, the Bombers wouldn't have missed the assignments/tackles and the refs never would have blown the call.

The fact is, the play happened the way it did.

What planet are you on? I want to move there.

Earth you should join me sometime, I'd be a lot less angry if more people lived in reality. 

Earth you should join me sometime, I'd be a lot less angry if more people lived in reality. 

If you lived in reality you'd recognize and acknowledge the incompetence of CFL officiating. Not sure it would help with your anger issues though...

17to85 can you ever have a discussion without being negative towards someone? Yesterday you and goalie were both terrible towards everyone, now if I go through your threads and replies you truly do think you are Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory, you have the same type of attitude but most likely not the same IQ (not saying you are incompetent, just saying Sheldon's fictional character is a genius which I do not believe any of us posting here most likely qualify as, including myself).  It's okay those around you are not always going to agree with your assessment or judgement. 

On another note; who has two birds and how do they help you navigate? :P

If people stop saying stupid **** I'll stop telling them they're saying stupid **** it's as simple as that.

This statement is probably the worst statement out of the entire thread; it really proves what kind of person you are.  I'll repeat just because someone disagree's with your opinion, remember it is an opinion in the end and there is no such thing as a wrong or right opinion, doesn't mean it is as you would call it, stupid.

Well, I hope I'm not out of turn, but lately this has been on my mind anyways, so here's some story time.

A long time ago in the wilderness, often called the official Winnipeg Blue Bombers Forum, there was a handsome young devil by the name of my blood runs gold.  Sort of a cross between Robert Redford and Ghandi, and crazy humble too.  Being somewhat younger than he is now, as we all tend to be when we travel back in time, this fellow, who we'll call mbrg for short, was still young enough to care about what random strangers said on the internet.  Crazy!

Now one day into this forum wilderness wandered a very young man.  For the purposes of this totally fictional tale, I'll make up a name.  We'll call him Fuhlooyuhd.  Fuhlooyuhd was new to this wilderness, a wilderness that mbrg had taken some amount of pride and ownership in, and like many of his very young age, he thought that brashness was how a person should navigate through this wilderness.  He had two pet birds, and to help him get around he would wave them in the air.  And while in some internet wildernesses that is simply the way things are done, mbrg and many others thought it was unnecessary, since we were all in this same wilderness together.

So often mbrg would take issue with Fuhlooyuhd, pointing out that he didn't need to use those birds so very often like young people of his age tended to do.  Sometimes these discussions got heated, as the older people who didn't use birds for navigation and communication had limited use for those that did.  It was probably a generational thing.  Anyways, one day a forest ranger intervened in the heated argument and took mbrg aside.  He acknowledged that while things were not ideal, arguing would do nothing to decrease this generational divide.  He suggested to mbrg that immaturity will almost always walk hand in hand with youth, and rather than try and lecture him to change, he rather demonstrate to young Fuhlooyuhd that there were ways of navigating our wilderness without using those birds so often, and to let mbrg's actions speak instead.  Mbrg tried to follow that ranger's advice, and though it wasn't always easy, after a while it was noticeable that young Fuhlooyuhd wasn't using his birds nearly as often as he once like to do.

Eventually mbrg left that wilderness, and left all wildernesses.  Time passed before mbrg ever found himself in such a wilderness again, but once he did, one of the first people he came across was young Fuhlooyuhd.  Except young Fuhlooyuhd wasn't that young anymore.  And he had matured enough that he navigated through the wilderness without ever resorting to bringing out his birds anymore.  Mbrg marveled at how time had changed Fuhlooyuhd as a person, and he wondered how many other people that ranger had spoken to.  Although they still didn't always agree on which path to take, mbrg thought that Fuhlooyuhd had become quite a fine young navigator in his own right.

And mbrg?  Well he had grown into a cross between George Clooney and Mother Teresa.  And was still crazy humble to boot.

Bravo!  And I thought I had time to kill, you just ate my cake!

What the hell you talking about there T, the chat? Was i crapping on you? If so i'm sorry i thought you were road griller. 

No problems Goalie; I am not Road Griller he's the troll looking for people to get upset by mentioning that we should get rid of O'Shea and go  back to Lapo every five plays.  It was kind of humurous when many indulged him but in reality we all know he is just trying to get under peoples skins :D

I personally believe the team is doing well; and if they can fix some of the penalties and special teams that we will be competitors this year.  I am also one of those naive people who still believe we have a chance of winning the grey cup.  Which I will believe until we either miss the play offs or are elliminated.  But it doesn't mean I won't be upset with missed calls; poor playing; or the here we go again with erranous snaps and the likes.  It's fun to have a discussion I use two computers just so I can stream on the one and chat on the other :D  That is when Im home and able to catch the game

P.S. I still don't know who has birds and how they help lol

Nice informative stats.

I hereby nominate this post for "post of the year".. That was absolute gold..

FTR the Riders have been called for holding more then any other team in the CFL this season. Also, when employing a running game an offensive line is much less likely to hold. Most holding occurs in pass protection. Holding can literally be called on every play and when I watch Chick in isolation against any team he plays he is constantly being held.

but if you paid attention to anything I wrote you'd know that I never said the refs were good... just that blaming them for losses is a ridiculous fallacy. So any time you want feel free to join me here in the real world rather than the one that exists only in your head. 

Speaking of fallacies, I never blamed the refs I simply stated the obvious. But hey, don't let the facts  get in the way of your desire to argue ANY point.

does anyone else think it is impossible to run as many running plays as the Riders have without getting a single holding call during the last two games??

The reality is that teams that run the ball tend to get less holding calls. Pass protection leads to a lot more holding. FTR the Riders have been called for holding this season more then any other team.