Joey Elliott gains another life

TBieber

Elliott had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Trying to work with an OC that had no clue about the CFL. As a result he got labelled not coach able and a malcontent. Knowing Joey he is extremely knowledgable and competitive. Attempts by him to provide input and insight into a non existent offence were seen as a negative. I wish him well and believe that if he doesn't become successful as a player he has the ability, knowledge and potential to be a good coach.

Elliott had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Trying to work with an OC that had no clue about the CFL. As a result he got labelled not coach able and a malcontent. Knowing Joey he is extremely knowledgable and competitive. Attempts by him to provide input and insight into a non existent offence were seen as a negative. I wish him well and believe that if he doesn't become successful as a player he has the ability, knowledge and potential to be a good coach.

Paul Lapolice? 

Knowing Joey? 

Those critical of this move should ask themselves, what does Winnipeg do if Willy goes down for the remainder if the season?

Start Brohm or Marve ?

Personally I think this is a lazy move by Ottawa (O'Brien and Carder could use some reps, you know to actually develop). One of my only issues with the CFL for years has been how some players only stick around due to their experience within the league.

Welcome to professional football. The NFL is littered with experienced guys who keep finding work.

Thanks tips, I didn't know that.  :rolleyes:

As many fans as perhaps haters......what difference does it make. It seems there is a greater support for detractors of players than for supporters.

Doesnt make any difference.. Just funny how a guy who has been cut this many times has a fanboy following who thinks hes "just that one chance away..." From being a legit CFL QB..

I seem to recall that Elliot's problem was that he wouldn't accept direction from the coaches, and given the grade of coaches we had, that may have not been a bad thing. Doug Brown reported that at one point, the defensive coaching was so bad that the D-line and linebackers totally ignored him and decided at the line what they were going to do.

Somewhat along the lines of what tracker said, that was what some fans were saying about Joey when he was here about not going along with Crowton's garbage system.  If I recall right though, Crowton pretty much made it clear that Brink and Elliot both were getting shipped out with zero chance to even come back to training camp the next spring.  Some of us who saw the boneheaded-ness of that called it out immediately, but for Joey Elliot that may have been the best thing that ever happened to him.  Given what happened to all of our QBs of that year, Elliot could've also seen his playing days end thanks to the dumpster fire Burke and Crowton started.

That being said, I don't by any means expect Elliot to tear it up on the Redblacks, nor do I think he'll be pressed into action, but I think bringing him in was the correct call.  It's possible O'Brien could see limited action for them such as in garbage time or something this year, but you NEVER ever throw a young guy to the wolves before he's ready, you guys should know that from seeing damage happen to players like Goltz, so I definitely think bringing Elliot in was the right call.  He may not have a future, and when DeMarco comes back next year could very well head back down south, but you might as well at least see what he's got and use it at this point with Burris on his way out and an offense that needs something to pump a little life in them.

Didn't Ottawa sign him to the PR? he's not even on the active roster, only reason they signed him is because demarco is done for the year, If anyone thinks Elliot will get any playing time being behind burris and 2 other guys, You are kidding yourself. I'm not sure why they brought him in but i'd suspect he doesn't see the field and i suspect he is released in the off season.

The only logical reason for them to sign him is because he has some cfl experience but then why did they sign him to the PR and not add him to the active roster. 

Didn't Ottawa sign him to the PR? he's not even on the active roster, only reason they signed him is because demarco is done for the year, If anyone thinks Elliot will get any playing time being behind burris and 2 other guys, You are kidding yourself. I'm not sure why they brought him in but i'd suspect he doesn't see the field and i suspect he is released in the off season.

The only logical reason for them to sign him is because he has some cfl experience but then why did they sign him to the PR and not add him to the active roster. 

because it takes time to grasp the playbook?

Unless you're a Weston Dressler or Chris Matthews type player you almost always start off on the PR.

No he couldn't. It is a good pickup by the RB's. Who else is out there? I was extremely upset when both he and Brink were released the first time. As far as I know, Joey has only been 'cut' once. To me, the definition of 'cut' is when you go to a training camp, or are on the roster / practice squad, and the team brings in a player who is deemed 'better' than you and you are then, cut. Elliot was 'cut' once, by B.C., this year in training camp. 

The bombers didn't 'cut' him, nor did they 'cut' Alex Brink. They 'released' them prior to training camp to make room for two losers and that was when I lost my mind and called out that pathetic group of (mis) management on our bombers. 

I'm glad both Brink and Elliot are gainfully employed. Personally, I don't care if they get 'cut'. As I said two and half years ago, and I still say it today, both deserved a chance to compete for their jobs. If they are beat out, then great - that means the team gets better. Bringing in two losers prior to camp and releasing those guys outright told me all I needed to know about that bomber team and the season they were going to have.