Roster Update

James

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/five-storylines-273289041.html?cx_navSource=d-top-story

BLUE MOVES

On: Louie Richardson, Gord Hinse, Jarvis Jones, EJ Kuale; Off: Matthias Goossen, Patrick Neufeld, Paris Cotton, Abe Kromah.

Notable: Defensive end Jason Vega, who sat out last week's Bombers win over Montreal with an injury, is a healthy scratch this week. Head coach Mike O'Shea said Friday he liked what Vega's replacement last week, Kashawn Fraser, showed against Montreal and during practice this week.

I'm disapointed Kromah's Off, and not sure why we're keeping Unamba on over Sears

I've been really liking Fraser so I'm happy he's getting another chance

I'm assuming Sears isn't a 100% or it has to do with his comment about the signature jerseys :)
According to Sears he‘s been healthy since last week. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/labour-day-hex-vexes-bombers-272988891.html

O'Shea is starting to trend toward irrational loyalty to certain players.  What does Don Unamba bring to our team that Johnny Sears wouldn't bring, or Alex Suber, or Marty Markett?  Unamba is not very good on D, good on special teams.  All of the previously mentioned guys have been excellent special teamers, and two of them have been or are arguably elite CFL defenders.  Unamba and Kuale always fly around at 100 mph (often to the detriment of their game), but they don't make a lot of plays for us on D.

I'm disapointed Kromah's Off, and not sure why we're keeping Unamba on over Sears

I'm assuming Sears isn't a 100% or it has to do with his comment about the signature jerseys :)
According to Sears he‘s been healthy since last week. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/labour-day-hex-vexes-bombers-272988891.html

Right Dr. Sears it is then. :) With his health history, if I'm the coach I'm not playing him until I'm completely sure he's healthy. Like any position, we need consistency at his position that requires more than 2 games and done.

O'Shea is starting to trend toward irrational loyalty to certain players.  What does Don Unamba bring to our team that Johnny Sears wouldn't bring, or Alex Suber, or Marty Markett?  Unamba is not very good on D, good on special teams.  All of the previously mentioned guys have been excellent special teamers, and two of them have been or are arguably elite CFL defenders.  Unamba and Kuale always fly around at 100 mph (often to the detriment of their game), but they don't make a lot of plays for us on D.

hey you know better than I do when it comes to skill but with Sears it's all a moot point if he can't stay healthy.

Right Dr. Sears it is then. :) With his health history, if I'm the coach I'm not playing him until I'm completely sure he's healthy. Like any position, we need consistency at his position that requires more than 2 games and done.
Sears was getting regular reps with the scout team D during practise this week. He was showing no ill effects...but I‘m not a doctor...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and pretend I know as much as O'Shea when it comes to using certain players over others.

No wait, I won't, because….

because I don't know all there is to know about the reasons behind the reasoning.

All I do know is that they didn't throw all the names in a disgusting-looking helmet and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm a Sears fan as well as a Suber fan, and maybe even Kromah, but I haven't seen enough of him, but I'm going to follow O'Shea's philosophy of "there's only the next game" and see where that takes us.

So far, the path has been rewarding and the reasoning has been mostly easy to follow.

Well, we're just fans, not coaches. Hard to argue with a guy who's 6 - 3. I like Sears too but he does take some bad penalties at bad times- I wouldn't call him Dwight Anderson bad but he's closer to Dwight Anderson then he is, say a Joe Poplawski. So maybe that's part of it? Would like to see him in though - especially in a Labour Day game - a few hits from him (even if it's late and we get a flag for it) can switch momentum around in a hurry. 

Some real puzzlers to be sure.  Don't get the Unamba thing either, I just don't consider special teams players to be all that "special".  Most upset with sitting Cotton as their strategy of spelling Grigsby in the Als. game seemed to work to finally light a fire under him and he ran with some intent.  The RR are coming into the game with 3 RB's and the BB with one, wonder how that's going to work out.

At this point I don't think we know enough about O'Shea's coaching style to judge him on his choices, could well be that he let's his co-ordinators make the decisions on personnel for their specific units and he backs their decisions.  This wouldn't surprise me.

Seems to me all these players, positions, substitutions, and watching game film not just once but more than once, and for several games, leads the coaching staff to several conclusions, and schemes for certain opponents. Also seems to me it has been quite successful.

To think that it is all based on loyalty is foolish. Many of you are not giving them much credit, and that is a knee jerk reaction to something you only see on the surface.

Sears is just a play maker. If he's healthy he's the kind of player you make room for. Not liking this attitude from the coaches that they can't take guys off the roster. You can take guys off the roster even if they're playing well because guys like Sears have the ability to be the best guys on the team. 

They replaced Woods so the precedent has been set.  Coach's egos and player attitudes also determine a lot of the back room decisions and favourites often come into play because after-all they're human.

Seems to me all these players, positions, substitutions, and watching game film not just once but more than once, and for several games, leads the coaching staff to several conclusions, and schemes for certain opponents. Also seems to me it has been quite successful.

To think that it is all based on loyalty is foolish. Many of you are not giving them much credit, and that is a knee jerk reaction to something you only see on the surface.

Sometimes coaches make mistakes, sometimes they lose sight of the big picture. They won't take a player out because he's not making mistakes when the reality is that they might have a better option despite the other guy not making mistakes. For my money Sears is one of the best defensive player on this team, he just has the bad luck of being hurt a lot, but if he's healthy he can be better than a number of players that they aren't taking off the roster because "they're not playing badly" 

I like O'Shea overall as a head coach of this team, but he needs to be more proactive making roster changes.

Sometimes coaches make mistakes, sometimes they lose sight of the big picture. They won't take a player out because he's not making mistakes when the reality is that they might have a better option despite the other guy not making mistakes. For my money Sears is one of the best defensive player on this team, he just has the bad luck of being hurt a lot, but if he's healthy he can be better than a number of players that they aren't taking off the roster because "they're not playing badly" 

I like O'Shea overall as a head coach of this team, but he needs to be more proactive making roster changes.

ok...you tell him that, because he obviously can't figure it out for himself  :rolleyes:

The only concern for me is that we replace Vega with Fraser because he did well in essentially one full game but then sit Kromah after he helps shut down Whitaker.  I don't have a lot of faith in Kuale v. Messam.  We'll find out soon enough...

This year we are 6-3 using the players this coaching staff wants to use.  Last year we were 3-15 using the players many people on this board want to use.

Seriously people, are you complaining about winning?

These types of decisions have been made by Don Matthews, Wally Buono, and many other winning coaches before them.