Random thoughts from last night...

gbill2004

The obvious problem on D is there is no or very little defence against the run. We're making some of these average running backs with a little size look like all stars. We need some beef in the middle. We're way too light and some of these backs are dragging our guys for 10 yds. We have to address this immediately or, now that is a commonly known weakness, we will be exploited every game. I think we've unearthed a gem in Stoudermire. He did cough one up that went out of bounds but overall this kid is the returner we've been looking for. Great game for his initial start and I'm looking forward to him taking one to the house, especially in riderville.

I also would love to hear what people thought about that PI call last night.

They really screwed themselves with that one. The league has really opened the floodgates on PI challenges now.

My problem with it was that the CFL has talked recently about closing the floodgates a bit, they said they were only going to over turn the really obvious and blatant stuff... which I assume is why O'Shea didn't bother challenging the one on Kelly, but then they go and over turn that one.... good lord throw the flag on any deep ball and based on that play there's probably PI in there somewhere. 

They really screwed themselves with that one. The league has really opened the floodgates on PI challenges now.

I was really against the PI reviews when they were introduced and still hate them.  The problem is two fold:

1.  PI can look a lot worse when a play is slowed down

2.  Offensive PI is unchallengeable.

This was a pretty reactionary move to the botched non-call in the Hamilton/Montreal playoff game last year and should have been thought through a bit more.

At some point, O'shea need to lash out on guys taking stupid penalties. I know he's a player's coach but if he needs to rip on a particular guy or group he need to let it out and show these guys his displeasure.

There are other ways to show your displeasure.

You don't think Romby knew he was upset when he wouldn't even look at him yesterday?

Having players rally to the ball is fine.....but when you have 3 guys there, and nobody makes the tackle.......

Sorry if this was mentioned, but I saw THREE guys launch themselves at the running back consistently and not a one wrapped him up or even tried.  Ridiculous.

The lack of calls on game impacting holds from Toronto was infuriating. Our guys were holding do, no doubt - but they were called.

In regards to the PI, I wish they would only overturn it IF it was absolutely so blatant the fact the ref missed it was astounding - which before this one was moreso the case (imho).

Having players rally to the ball is fine.....but when you have 3 guys there, and nobody makes the tackle.......

Sorry if this was mentioned, but I saw THREE guys launch themselves at the running back consistently and not a one wrapped him up or even tried.  Ridiculous.

The lack of calls on game impacting holds from Toronto was infuriating. Our guys were holding do, no doubt - but they were called.

In regards to the PI, I wish they would only overturn it IF it was absolutely so blatant the fact the ref missed it was astounding - which before this one was moreso the case (imho).

This will be a rule change that will be jettisoned in the not so near future.  Allowing challenges of PI creates more issues then it solves.

I would rather be able to challenge holding than PI to be honest. Refs miss that more than they miss PI. 

Hope that never happens because you could literally call holding on 75-80% of all plays.  Talk about killing the flow of a game!

you can probably call PI on the same percentage of plays too, they're both ridiculous things to be able to challenge but I bet holding affects the game more than PI does. 

I would rather be able to challenge holding than PI to be honest. Refs miss that more than they miss PI. 

Hope that never happens because you could literally call holding on 75-80% of all plays.  Talk about killing the flow of a game!

you can probably call PI on the same percentage of plays too, they're both ridiculous things to be able to challenge but I bet holding affects the game more than PI does. 

You could be right about holding having a bigger impact.  Challenges on any kind of penalties are ridiculous and leave the league open to criticism.  Stick to ball placement challenges, td challenges and turnover challenges.

You could be right about holding having a bigger impact.  Challenges on any kind of penalties are ridiculous and leave the league open to criticism.  Stick to ball placement challenges, td challenges and turnover challenges.

ball placement rarely gets over turned though because the tricky spots are in the big piles and you can't see **** in there on reviews anyway. I hate the entire challenge process but challenges for penalties was and always has been a ridiculous idea. Just let the refs do their jobs and we'll deal with missed calls because over the course of a season it will balance out. 

At some point, O'shea need to lash out on guys taking stupid penalties. I know he's a player's coach but if he needs to rip on a particular guy or group he need to let it out and show these guys his displeasure.

There are other ways to show your displeasure.

You don't think Romby knew he was upset when he wouldn't even look at him yesterday?

I bet he looked at him....in the dressing room....

I was really against the PI reviews when they were introduced and still hate them.  The problem is two fold:

1.  PI can look a lot worse when a play is slowed down

2.  Offensive PI is unchallengeable.

This was a pretty reactionary move to the botched non-call in the Hamilton/Montreal playoff game last year and should have been thought through a bit more.

The issue I had with the PI review is it's still a judgement call it seems, and the terminology is based on how you interpret the rule itself.

To be fair, regardless coaches can still only call two challenges a game - don't think it would "kill the flow" of the game as much as you think it would. 

My random thoughts....

How come Boston Pizza continually changes their menu and removes favorite dishes such as Cactus Nachos (cuts smothered in cheese) , chicken parm sandwich and szeuchwan pizza yet they keep on the menu the garbage like the pizza-burger? Also why the raise in prices it's not that great?

Why doesn't Chris Tucker make movies? I know he's blown all his money away and it looks like he's doing another Rush Hour... but I'm sure the guy could score a tonne of big roles and he's way funnier then his mini-me Kevin Hart.     What's the deal with Black comedians who become huge then disappear (Murphy, Tucker, Chappelle)....

What's the deal with weeds....   why can they grow to be massive in my yard without being watered yet the areas of my grass where I do water struggles to grow.  Why can't grass grow crazy big with ease while Weeds struggle?

What's the deal with MIL's?  Is their some kind of secret society where women must make their SIL's life miserable??

Really like the initial post in this thread... great stuff.

As for random thoughts...

Would love to see Wild-Kromah-Sears...  Dunn plays soft (there's a reason that Washington and Peach's tackles are inflated) and Kuale is just not quite good enough, who knows if Kromah still has it but I'd give him a shot

Stoudemire at runningback...  the guy has some jets and can run over blockers, he is the type of back we need - something to think about anyway

Love the idea of rotating our Cdn receivers, right now getting Carter playing time would be better than putting Romby out there

Passing on proven Cdn talent is just a bad policy - Laurent and Messam make this team better even if they don't 'fit' the scheme... good coaches find a way to get the most out of players.  Sure hope Walters is on the phone with Buono right now.

My random thoughts....

What's the deal with weeds....   why can they grow to be massive in my yard without being watered yet the areas of my grass where I do water struggles to grow.  Why can't grass grow crazy big with ease while Weeds struggle?

It's the root system.  Weeds have roots that are thicker and more importantly grow deeper.  People who water their lawns frequently create poor root systems for their grass.  Less frequent waterings encourages the roots to grow deeper in search of moisture, and in times of low precipitation these lawns will be more durable than lawns that are overwatered.  Over time a healthy lawn should overtake the weeds.  So they say.

My random thoughts....

It's the root system.  Weeds have roots that are thicker and more importantly grow deeper.  People who water their lawns frequently create poor root systems for their grass.  Less frequent waterings encourages the roots to grow deeper in search of moisture, and in times of low precipitation these lawns will be more durable than lawns that are overwatered.  Over time a healthy lawn should overtake the weeds.  So they say.

Thank you for this tid bit ,  it makes sense to me!

Great point, thinking the same thing last night. Might think about going back to form tackling and not looking for the big hit . . .