Bombers have made a trade ...

Mike

Of all the things a QB can be guilty of and which could get him turfed, missing one or two quarterback sneaks (one of which was doomed from the snap onward) has to be waaaay down the list. Soooooo....Marve's future on that alone can't be all that shaky. The alternative possibility is that Collaros is racked up worse than first thought and Hamilton suddenly finds themselves short on CFL-experienced pivots, Since Brohm is a known quantity in Hamilton and has the experience, a trade would seem to make sense.

Nice to be in the driver's seat for a change.

Kyle Walters is the new Taman... lovin' it!  I suspect this is a Goveia move.

So, nice to have five QBs on our roster/PR - finally real competition and real scouting...

But... a 4th rounder for Brohm, probably something similar for Portis - better than our first rounder I suppose...!

Probably due to Marve sucking at short yardage

How many times has Marve been stopped?  Other than once or twice at the goal line?  I know he got stopped on the 30 yard line against Montreal but that was a bad decision to go for it in the first place.  With the lack of push of the O-Line I don't think Refrigerator Perry would have gotten a first down on that play.

I don't think it was a bad decision, just bad execution.  I know it didn't work, so it's easy after the fact to say that it was a bad decision, but that's very micro oriented.   From the macro point of view, players love playing for a coach who has confidence in them.  A coach that never gambles on 3rd, or never tries a fake kick, or never goes creative does not instill the same confidence in his players.

I recall one time I was coaching in an important game, and we went for it on third down early in the game and got stuffed.  I called over the entire o-line and the o-line coach and said "that clearly wasn't acceptable, but I know you can do better, so I'm going to give you another chance later to prove that you are better than that".   We gambled twice more in that game, both successfully, and scored a couple of touchdowns with our short yardage team as well, and won the game handily against a strong opponent.

My point is that many people on this board have been critizing the Rider's coaches for playing musical RB's due to a couple of fumbles.   I don't believe that you give up the run entirely due to a couple of fumbles, and you don't stop going for it because you get stuffed on occassion.  It is true that you may need to make changes to the personnel or the execution, but the strategy remains solid.  Teams that play to win, win more often than overly concervative teams.

I just am from the old Bud Grant school where you don't go for it on 3rd down when you are on your own 30 yard line. But I do admire O'Shea's go for it attitude.

Our canadian content is a concern  and we keep sending conditional draft picks away.  From the limited  time we have seen Marve, I thought he looked like he had higher potential than Brohm, better accuracy, good arm, just thought it was more of a need some experience thing that Brohm moved to  #2.  According to Bomber website, Marve weighs 210, which is more than Portis and Brohm is  236.  If the short yardage is the reason, why not give the job to Brohm  who has 15 pounds on  Marve and 20 on Portis and save our  draft picks  ?

Hey, if it's based on weight alone, let's just trade BC for Ryan Cave so he can sneak the ball.

lol,  i am maybe assuming there is a  little more muscle in the extra 15 pounds of Brohm  if it is deemed that Marve doesn't have enough  push for a short yardage QB. I would agree with poster (s) that it is as much on oline and execution as on Marve.  2 feet should be almost automatic no matter what QB it is. Sure have to wonder if something is up  but not sure I would want to move one of our backups right now. Injury to Willy and we will be struggling I think without trading away  what we got as backup., even worse if we move one.

How many times has Marve been stopped?  Other than once or twice at the goal line?  I know he got stopped on the 30 yard line against Montreal but that was a bad decision to go for it in the first place.  With the lack of push of the O-Line I don't think Refrigerator Perry would have gotten a first down on that play.

I don't think it was a bad decision, just bad execution.  I know it didn't work, so it's easy after the fact to say that it was a bad decision, but that's very micro oriented.   From the macro point of view, players love playing for a coach who has confidence in them.  A coach that never gambles on 3rd, or never tries a fake kick, or never goes creative does not instill the same confidence in his players.

I recall one time I was coaching in an important game, and we went for it on third down early in the game and got stuffed.  I called over the entire o-line and the o-line coach and said "that clearly wasn't acceptable, but I know you can do better, so I'm going to give you another chance later to prove that you are better than that".   We gambled twice more in that game, both successfully, and scored a couple of touchdowns with our short yardage team as well, and won the game handily against a strong opponent.

My point is that many people on this board have been critizing the Rider's coaches for playing musical RB's due to a couple of fumbles.   I don't believe that you give up the run entirely due to a couple of fumbles, and you don't stop going for it because you get stuffed on occassion.  It is true that you may need to make changes to the personnel or the execution, but the strategy remains solid.  Teams that play to win, win more often than overly concervative teams.

I just am from the old Bud Grant school where you don't go for it on 3rd down when you are on your own 30 yard line. But I do admire O'Shea's go for it attitude.

I think O'Shea will do the same thing vs. Edmonton if he's facing a 3rd and full 1 near mid-field. If the line can't generate enough push & shove to create the first down, then I think O'Shea will re-consider until he gets reinforcements.

Of all the things a QB can be guilty of and which could get him turfed, missing one or two quarterback sneaks (one of which was doomed from the snap onward) has to be waaaay down the list. Soooooo....Marve's future on that alone can't be all that shaky. The alternative possibility is that Collaros is racked up worse than first thought and Hamilton suddenly finds themselves short on CFL-experienced pivots, Since Brohm is a known quantity in Hamilton and has the experience, a trade would seem to make sense.

That makes no sense.  The Bombers are not going to give away Brohm after coming this far with him.  Within the next 4 games I hope there will be an opportunity to give Brohm some game action.  It does a team no good not to give a backup playing time throughout the season to bring him along.  Worst case scenario Ryan Dinwiddie making his first start in a G.C. game.  Can't happen again!

That makes no sense.  The Bombers are not going to give away Brohm after coming this far with him.  Within the next 4 games I hope there will be an opportunity to give Brohm some game action.  It does a team no good not to give a backup playing time throughout the season to bring him along.  Worst case scenario Ryan Dinwiddie making his first start in a G.C. game.  Can't happen again!

It's pretty unlikely, but as far as crazy conspiracy-theory ideas go there is more logic at the base of this than others.

We have nothing invested in Brohm at this point.  If we're comfortable with Marve and one of the other two going forward and if Hamilton gives us more than what we gave up for him to get him back, ya, it's possible.  Pretty unlikely, but not insane.

A dead guy was drafted.  Much much much stranger things have happened in the CFL.

Just as likely a possibility - they haven't seen enough growth from Marve over the last 4 weeks of practise and are exploring other options.  Most CFL teams carry a minimum of 4 QBs on their roster these days.  Part of the reason is depth for injuries.  Another part is the CFL is a tough game to pick up for QBs, so evaluating a guy who sees no game action and limited reps in practise can take some time.  Might as well do several at once rather than wasting a year assuming Marve is the future (after Willy) only to find out he's Kingsbury or Chang.

Got to remember we have a extra 5th round pick this year from Sask. On the failed third down it looked like if he had gone up the middle he would of got the first down got pretty good push up the middle. Not sure if it was the play call or Marve improvised because it sure did not look like he made any attempt just to stuff up the gut.

Remember, folks here thought that Hall was a shoo-in for backup to Willy, and we all know how that turned out. I suggest that if Hamilton is going to be short on QBs for more than a week or two, there aren't that many options for them to get a backup QB who knows what 3-down football is about.

If the price is right, there aren't that many untouchables on any team. We shall see.

But watching it you can see he hesitates or takes an extra step or something. There's something with him after he takes the snap that isn't right...lol I don't know what it is but I really hope come thursday they've found someone else to do the short yardage. I like him as a QB just not as a short yardage guy.

If thats true it can be coached out of him

A coach that never gambles on 3rd, or never tries a fake kick, or never goes creative does not instill the same confidence in his players.

See Burke, Tim.

It is clear this season that our coaches are coaching to win and believe in the players being able to make plays. I for one love this change because our last two coaches were passive to the point where no one considered this team dangerous in any way.

I too liked the choice to gamble there. In the CFL a yard is pretty automatic and if you make it you keep your offense on the field. Just a case of the players didn't make it, that's no reason to second guess it, there was plenty of time left in the game.

PR's have been expanded this season, qb depth is a good thing to have. No need or reason to read in to this any further than what it more than likely is.. a depth move. a practice roster move. That's all. Is odd they "hyped" this one sort of but... whatever. 

Are some assuming the only reason we signed/traded for these qbs is because Marve missed the sneak?

Maybe it's because the team is constantly looking to improve depth?

I assumed it's to improve depth.  The only reason to raise an eyebrow at all is because we gave up some kind of pick to do it.  Giving up a pick means there is something more to this than he's another PR QB we're kicking the tires on.  That's what I'd call Mills.  Portis?  If we're giving something up to get a player off another team's roster, then the expectations I have go a bit beyond tire kicking**.

** also known to Messam fans as the highest compliment the Calgary Stampeders can give a player

Our canadian content is a concern  and we keep sending conditional draft picks away.  From the limited  time we have seen Marve, I thought he looked like he had higher potential than Brohm, better accuracy, good arm, just thought it was more of a need some experience thing that Brohm moved to  #2.  According to Bomber website, Marve weighs 210, which is more than Portis and Brohm is  236.  If the short yardage is the reason, why not give the job to Brohm  who has 15 pounds on  Marve and 20 on Portis and save our  draft picks  ?

Hey, if it's based on weight alone, let's just trade BC for Ryan Cave so he can sneak the ball.

NO need to trade for him, he's available. :D

Farhan Lalji         @FarhanLaljiTSN

#BCLions are releasing OT Ryan Cave. #Shocker #CFL

NO need to trade for him, he's available. :D

Farhan Lalji         @FarhanLaljiTSN

#BCLions are releasing OT Ryan Cave. #Shocker #CFL

Cave had the footspeed and agility of a glacier.

The sneaks are a big problem.  I mean we aren't even sneaking anymore, we're always going off guard or even off tackle.  When you need a full yard, those types of QB runs take way too long to develop and give the quicker guys on the edge a chance to make a play.

I'm not seeing our line getting blown up on QB sneaks when we've tried them, Marve is just really inexperienced with it, and that's not a surprise because the QB sneak doesn't exist in American football without the yard off the ball.  He's not getting low enough, and not following his centre while driving his legs to take what his line gives him plus a yard or two.  Goltz was just as bad at this, so they put in the option package.

Not sure if Portis acquisition is a response to this, he'd likely be similarly inexperienced with sneaking.