Odds and Sods Week 2

Rich

Agreed on the varied play calling... Also much more aggressive on second and long.

No more turning over on offense..

My only gripe with Willy was holding onto the ball to long in the first and third.

The other was Kelly giving up on his routes a few times... I wouldn't be shocked if Bryant replaces him.

Agreed on the varied play calling... Also much more aggressive on second and long.

My only gripe with Willy was holding onto the ball to long in the first and third.

The other was Kelly giving up on his routes a few times... I wouldn't be shocked if Bryant replaces him.

lol seriously? You harp on me calling Kelly average all offseason and now that he's on pace for a 1000 yard season, you want to call for him to be benched?

A young quarterback will hold onto the ball at times .. what is more impressive is that he doesn't feel the need to force things .. he's being patient and going through his reads .. eyes downfield .. outside the one INT last night .. Willy has been great protecting the ball and has given the Bombers a chance to win in each game this year .. all you can ask for out of a guy with a handful of pro starts.

lol seriously? You harp on me calling Kelly average all offseason and now that he's on pace for a 1000 yard season, you want to call for him to be benched?

Yes he nearly caused an interception in the 4th when he gave up on his route and had to chase and knock the ball out of the defenders mitts.

He did make a good play dragging two guys for the first down.

I think Kelly is just limited in his ability to get open when he's not one on one... however that being said, when you're 6'5 and you run down the field you're always open, and with Willy showing a great touch on his deep ball and able to drop it right where it needs to be there's room for a tall receiver who has good hands. 

Yes he nearly caused an interception in the 4th when he gave up on his route and had to chase and knock the ball out of the defenders mitts.

What???? that ball was thrown into triple coverage.... are you sure you were watching Bombers vs Redblacks last night and not some pre-recorded game?? maybe Kelly coulda fought back to try and make a stop but that pick was on Willy

All I know is that Kelly made two big plays in the fourth quarter when the game was on the line. One for a first down in the redzone and that deep throw down the side line to seal the deal. I'd be very hesitant to take out a skilled 6'5 receiver.. He's one of the guys that Willy's going to look to when we need a big first down.

Why is Denmark playing at wide out and Kelly out of the slot? Denmark has done much better out of the slot. 

I also don't like how we've made Kohlert a token wide side Canadian who doesn't get the ball.

They move around.

And there's only one ball man.

What???? that ball was thrown into triple coverage.... are you sure you were watching Bombers vs Redblacks last night and not some pre-recorded game?? maybe Kelly coulda fought back to try and make a stop but that pick was on Willy

Kelly was streaking and open and then he stopped running and then had to play catch up... He had the jump but stopped half way through and then ran again.

A young quarterback will hold onto the ball at times .. what is more impressive is that he doesn't feel the need to force things .. he's being patient and going through his reads .. eyes downfield .. outside the one INT last night .. Willy has been great protecting the ball and has given the Bombers a chance to win in each game this year .. all you can ask for out of a guy with a handful of pro starts.

I think the only time I saw DW trying to force the ball was in the 3rd or early in the 4th when his hand was hurt.  You could see him use his body to try and get a few extra yards out of the toss and they were coming up short.  After that he was money.

Willy "holding onto the ball" this game was due mainly to having to progress through his reads against Ottawa's zone D, as opposed to much easier man coverage most of the TO game.  Our OL didn't give him the time most QB's would need either. 

Willy seemed to read the D and make pre-snap adjustments fairly well, but I still saw 3 or 4 overloads (all on longer developing plays) that he didn't check out of, and he was under duress on all of those.  If you're going to gripe on Willy, make it for not throwing to his quick hitter on obvious overloads, or not checking out of the play entirely. 

Why is Denmark playing at wide out and Kelly out of the slot? Denmark has done much better out of the slot. 

I also don't like how we've made Kohlert a token wide side Canadian who doesn't get the ball.

Isn't a variable WR corps a good thing?  DB's have to adjust their coverage for different size guys and route tendencies.  Keep 'em guessing as to what's coming.

I really noticed this on the reverse play they did in the second quarter. I liked how he threw the sure 15-yard bullet on the numbers to Denmark rather than forcing it to the deep route.

I question this positioning as well as it seems to have reduced the effectiveness of both Kohlert and Denmark.  I guess in the end it's the team game that's most important and the receiver workload is being spread around better than it was last year..

Kelly was streaking and open and then he stopped running and then had to play catch up... He had the jump but stopped half way through and then ran again.

I was thinking Kelly was the intended receiver... after seeing the replay I realized it was Moore.... kinda kills my argument  :wacko: