Goltz Named Starter For Rest Of Season

Atomic

I have a feeling this is a precursor to a trade happening.

We couldn't release Buck Pierce. We would only have two quarterbacks. So as of right now he is in a player-coach role for this team.

If we are trying to wean this team off of Pierce, what are our options? We have to get another QB in fast. So either we sign a free-agent and put them on our practice roster or make a trade.

If a trade gets made, Buck would have to be released at that point. I could see this happening.

I don't know, I feel like this permanent promotion probably reduces chances of a trade. They'll give Goltz the season, and they like Hall, so why not see what you have in Goltz before bringing someone in?

No need to be a dink about it. Buck's literally bled for this team...he's a true warrior. But the time has come for him to quietly transition into coaching. Smart moves all around by the coaches/management team...

No need to be a dink about it. Buck's literally bled for this team...he's a true warrior. But the time has come for him to quietly transition into coaching. Smart moves all around by the coaches/management team...

Not being a dink about it.  All the sportswriters are tweeting these picks.  If you look at all of the people posting "BUCK SUCKS!!!!" this year over and over again I've been remarkably restrained.  Believe me, I'm still a big fan of Buck.  It's just time for him to transition out of the starter role.  That's it.

https://twitter.com/WFPEdTait/status/362997695025119233/photo/1

I am pumped for this. As others have said, wish this had been done in the off-season but I like it. I hope they develop an offense around Goltz's abilities. Like that we have an QB coach and hey somebody on the coaching staff who's played QB in the CFL.

Oh and props to the Slapshot references.

If this is truly the end of the Buck era, the guy deserves a lot of thanks and appreciation by this fanbase.  He's a true warrior who would crawl on the field if they let him.  He plays good football behind a terrible O-line that might have contributed to the end of his career.  And he never complained. 

If he's being a good solider and taking on a player-coach role and truly embraces it, he's giving to the organization once again.

I dont think this is a set up to release Buck.  I think its QB insurance AND if they really do feel Buck has a career as a coach ahead of him, then good on them for developing him into that role.  I would love to see Buck here in some regard for years to come.

The Goltz promotion/Pierce demotion is the best move the team's made so far this season, no doubt about it. But I'm sorry, hate to rain on the parade here but this just has to be pointed out; the worst QB in the league is going to be working with the worst OC in the league in running the offense. Maybe we should wait to see what happens in BC (and afterwards) before celebrating just yet.

The Goltz promotion/Pierce demotion is the best move the team's made so far this season, no doubt about it. But I'm sorry, hate to rain on the parade here but this just has to be pointed out; the worst QB in the league is going to be working with the worst OC in the league in running the offense. Maybe we should wait to see what happens in BC (and afterwards) before celebrating just yet.

marcus brady is working with one of the best qbs in the league, Jarious Jackson is working with Lulay in BC, Jason Maas is working with Ray...  do you really think the quality of the qbs play matters when it comes to their ability to coach? I don't know if Pierce is any kind of coach or not, but how he played certainly doesn't have any bearing on that. At least Pierce was a good qb at one point. I hope he does well. 

Oddly enough, with the "worst OC and worst QB in the league", the offence is ranked around 6th in most categories.  Must be the stellar o-line or superior receivers we've been lining up boosting the offence.

If this is truly the end of the Buck era, the guy deserves a lot of thanks and appreciation by this fanbase.  He's a true warrior who would crawl on the field if they let him.  He plays good football behind a terrible O-line that might have contributed to the end of his career.  And he never complained. 

If he's being a good solider and taking on a player-coach role and truly embraces it, he's giving to the organization once again.

I dont think this is a set up to release Buck.  I think its QB insurance AND if they really do feel Buck has a career as a coach ahead of him, then good on them for developing him into that role.  I would love to see Buck here in some regard for years to come.

I know you're a big Buck guy, but I don't think he deserves a parade for anything. If anything, his selfishness has contributed negatively to this team over the past two years.

I know you're a big Buck guy, but I don't think he deserves a parade for anything. If anything, his selfishness has contributed negatively to this team over the past two years.

that's an unfair statement. Every player wants to be on the field if they can. I don't fault Pierce for wanting to keep playing, I fault the coaches/management for not making the decision to move on sooner.

That's such bullshit.  What's he going to do?  "Oh sorry guys, I know you want me to be the starter but I'm not good enough so maybe you should move on."

That time was like a year and a half ago.... the club is only now doing something that many fans suggested a long time ago.

Somehow this seems like a momentous occasion even though it was expected by many to happen this season. I like the idea of players transitioning into coaches and having stability in the organization, but I don't see Buck as a great QB coach. It seems his strength is being a competitor, not necessarily having a great football mind. I don't mind seeing him stay with the team beyond his playing career, but if this is 'grooming' him like Calgary has done with Dickenson, I'm not a fan.

That's such bullshit.  What's he going to do?  "Oh sorry guys, I know you want me to be the starter but I'm not good enough so maybe you should move on."

Although my personal choice would have been for Buck to retire by now, I understand that's not realistic.

What I'm talking about is more his piss poor attitude when he hasn't been playing. Tired of seeing him mope on the bench by himself instead of doing clipboard duty at all times to help out his teammates. Annoyed that his reaction to not playing last week was to disagree with the coaching staff in a public forum. His attitude when he's not the #1 guy has not been great.

Although my personal choice would have been for Buck to retire by now, I understand that's not realistic.

What I'm talking about is more his piss poor attitude when he hasn't been playing. Tired of seeing him mope on the bench by himself instead of doing clipboard duty at all times to help out his teammates. Annoyed that his reaction to not playing last week was to disagree with the coaching staff in a public forum. His attitude when he's not the #1 guy has not been great.

That's more reasonable and I can agree with that.  For example...

#Bombers QB Buck Pierce just spoke to media: he's angry, frustrated; says he wasn't told he would groom young QBs. Wants to play #bn

**** the purse strings must be tight in this organization to have to transition a player into coaching instead of just hiring one to begin with. At least it is a good move even if it reeks of thrifty.

Holy Negatron... you dug deep and found something to ***** about with this news. 

I really wouldn't care if we have to pay Buck MORE to be a 3rd stringer/QB coach.  This is a landmark day for the Bombers... the day we unhitched our wagon from Buck, and looked to trying to find a starting QB that can help us be successful.  Heck, I wouldn't care if we paid him like he started.  Addition by subtraction...

That's more reasonable and I can agree with that.  For example...

#Bombers QB Buck Pierce just spoke to media: he's angry, frustrated; says he wasn't told he would groom young QBs. Wants to play #bn

So get rid of him right now.

This is the **** I'm talking about. What a clown.

Maybe if he wanted to play QB he should stop getting hurt and start actually doing something with the football.