Tyson Pencer Released

Probably should have played through the flu.  Oh well.

The real revisionist history in all of this was Mack's version after the 2012 draft talking about 'not having enough firepower' to trade up to #2...  Wally gave up 4, 14 and  38 for 2 and 20.   Mack gave up 8 and 13 for #3.  Pretty comparable... 

Not really, there's a pretty good difference in my mind between 4 and 8 when a team is trading down. 

The real revisionist history in all of this was Mack's version after the 2012 draft talking about 'not having enough firepower' to trade up to #2...  Wally gave up 4, 14 and  38 for 2 and 20.   Mack gave up 8 and 13 for #3.  Pretty comparable... 

Not really, there's a pretty good difference in my mind between 4 and 8 when a team is trading down. 

I know you're a Mack apologist but bear with me here...

The story, as we are told, is that O'B forced Mack's hand into the trade before Buono made the move.  If Mack had been connected, he would have heard rumblings... as if Edm doesn't call the bombers and ask for something...

At that time, we had #3, #16, #21, etc...  we had the 'firepower' to move up again and get Westerman, Mack sat on his hands and was schooled by Buono.  

The story, as we are told, is that O'B forced Mack's hand into the trade before Buono made the move.  If Mack had been connected, he would have heard rumblings... as if Edm doesn't call the bombers and ask for something...

At that time, we had #3, #16, #21, etc...  we had the 'firepower' to move up again and get Westerman, Mack sat on his hands and was schooled by Buono.  

You're doing a lot of assuming in this scenario.

you are assuming Edmonton was actually looking to move their #2. The way I see the situation unfolding is that Mack had the optional move with Hamilton made but BC was asking Hamilton about #3 as well so Hamilton says to Mack **** or get off the pot we got other teams interested, so he pulls the trigger. After that I see BC going hard for Edmontons pick moreso than anything else and those two teams dealing with each other not really caring about what other teams are doing. 

Pencer cut = One less thing to argue about going forward.

With Mack, Pencer, Etienne and Poblah now gone, what are we going to argue about?

Poblah was a pretty silly argument to have anyway, everyone and their dog agreed that he was a prospect well worth using a first rounder on and if he was in the draft he likely was the #1 pick. Just happened that the guy couldn't translate all those physical tools into anything of substance. 

Poblah was a pretty silly argument to have anyway, everyone and their dog agreed that he was a prospect well worth using a first rounder on and if he was in the draft he likely was the #1 pick. Just happened that the guy couldn't translate all those physical tools into anything of substance.

That being said, if he lights it up with BC this year I'm going to be extremely choked.

I thought i remember hearing edmonton wanted a first round pick back in their trade, they wanted chambers, we didn't have a first cuz we took kito in the supplemental draft the year before. We couldn't trade with edmonton for 2 because we didn't have a first round pick to give back to them.

Not overly shocking though. Didn't look good on monday at all.

Surprised a little bit that Kowalczuk is still on the roster though.

With Mack, Pencer, Etienne and Poblah now gone, what are we going to argue about?

Exactly.

Sometimes a pick is bad because you don't do your homework. (Pencer)

And then sometimes a pick is bad just because they can't figure it out. (Poblah)

Poblah was about as surefire of a choice as there was coming out of college. Hell, he was being recruited as an import before his eligibility was established. Remember how dominant he was in training camp the first year he was here? I remember Jovon Johnson saying he's as tough a matchup one on one as he had ever faced in practice. 

And then as it turned out, he sucked when the lights came on.

Exactly.

And then sometimes a pick is bad just because they can't figure it out. (Poblah)

Poblah was about as surefire of a choice as there was coming out of college. Hell, he was being recruited as an import before his eligibility was established. Remember how dominant he was in training camp the first year he was here? I remember Jovon Johnson saying he's as tough a matchup one on one as he had ever faced in practice. 

And, I think part of it is just how inconsistently we use our NI skill position players .. we draft guys like Volny and Woodson .. and there's no real plan to use these guys (this is a pet peeve of mine)  ..  Poblah was a great prospect but perhaps he just never found his niche in the offense because of how he was used .. just tossing it out there for the sake of discussion .. I *DO* hope the guy succeeds .. has the physical tools to make a career of it ..

Exactly.

And, I think part of it, is just how inconsistently we use our NI skill position players .. we draft guys like Volny and Woodson .. and there's no real plan to use these guys (this is a pet peeve of mine)  ..  Poblah was a great prospect but perhaps he just never found his niche in the offense because of how he was used .. just tossing it out there for the sake of discussion .. I *DO* hope the guy succeeds .. has the physical tools to make a career of it ..

Agree. I think for a while, Mack used to look at things and say "we don't have one of those, get one" when he needed to stop and think about it to realize the reason he didn't have one is because he didn't need one.

Or maybe they are just flyers. I don't know.

Exactly.

And, I think part of it, is just how inconsistently we use our NI skill position players .. we draft guys like Volny and Woodson .. and there's no real plan to use these guys (this is a pet peeve of mine)  ..  Poblah was a great prospect but perhaps he just never found his niche in the offense because of how he was used .. just tossing it out there for the sake of discussion .. I *DO* hope the guy succeeds .. has the physical tools to make a career of it ..

I too hope Poblah makes it. He clearly has the physical ability and he's a downright decent guy on top of it (still runs a high school football camp in town with plans to continue it), so good luck to him.

The scouting report on Poblah before we drafted him was that he had to focus on 'his hands' more...  that being said, I can't think of anyone that was really against the pick - I thought we overpaid, especially when Edm got Laurent for a second - but, at that time, I probably would have ended up offering a 1st for him too...  we were desperate for receivers.

Honestly, I would like to have Poblah on the roster, I thought he did well on STs and was a serviceable backup with flashes.

I've said it before... if it was Taman and not Walters, that traded a former 1st round pick for a 35 year old import DB, this forum would have lit up.  I guarantee that Banks would have just been cut eventually.