Tyson Pencer Released

just being ignorant here.

I know normally a DL can be converted to an OL. How bout the other way around, from OL to DL, can it be done ?

And since Rids mention that Pencer originally recruited as DL in college, does Pencer got look at DL at some point in his time with the Bombers ?

I know normally a DL can be converted to an OL. How bout the other way around, from OL to DL, can it be done ?

And since Rids mention that Pencer originally recruited as DL in college, does Pencer got look at DL at some point in his time with the Bombers ?

The best players play many positions in high school ball. I'd bet most of the star receivers or running backs in this league, maybe even some defensive backs, played quarterback in high school for some period of time. High school is a different animal.

Well it was a bit of a surprise to see Pencer released. But he clearly wasn't progressing and in this league especially you have to perform. The window of opportunity is so slim. Just because you have the right passport doesn't make you exempt from this rule. Such a disappointment for a high draft pick but that goes to show that the draft is a crap shot at best.

Eric Wilson.

Pencer cut = One less thing to argue about going forward.

With Mack, Pencer, Etienne and Poblah now gone, what are we going to argue about?

Poblah was a pretty silly argument to have anyway, everyone and their dog agreed that he was a prospect well worth using a first rounder on and if he was in the draft he likely was the #1 pick. Just happened that the guy couldn't translate all those physical tools into anything of substance. 

Exactly.

Sometimes a pick is bad because you don't do your homework. (Pencer)

And then sometimes a pick is bad just because they can't figure it out. (Poblah)

Poblah was about as surefire of a choice as there was coming out of college. Hell, he was being recruited as an import before his eligibility was established. Remember how dominant he was in training camp the first year he was here? I remember Jovon Johnson saying he's as tough a matchup one on one as he had ever faced in practice. 

And then as it turned out, he sucked when the lights came on.

We used what would become the 7th overall pick in the 2012 draft to select Poblah.  Someone asked Forde prior to the 2012 draft if he thought Kito would have been taken in the first 7 picks if he was part of that draft class.  Forde said yes.  Of course that is only his opinion.

We did not go off the board taking Poblah, we paid proper value for the assessment of his talent (at that time), and we got to have him on our roster for the 2011 season rather than waiting for a player in 2012.  There were many smart things about that pick.  It did not pay off.  Bummer for us.

And then sometimes a pick is bad just because they can't figure it out. (Poblah)

Poblah was about as surefire of a choice as there was coming out of college. Hell, he was being recruited as an import before his eligibility was established. Remember how dominant he was in training camp the first year he was here? I remember Jovon Johnson saying he's as tough a matchup one on one as he had ever faced in practice. 

IIRC Poblah also got hurt in the first game of the season and we didn't get him back again until the LDC, where he did ok but then he was never utilized properly. 2012 was supposed to be his big breakout year but he got hurt again. Last year he was just invisible, other than some notable drops - I still remember that Hamilton game where he was wide open by 20 yards, Hall put it right in his breadbasket and he Kamau'd it. I do wish him well though, and hope he can carve out a career in BC.

IIRC Poblah also got hurt in the first game of the season and we didn't get him back again until the LDC, where he did ok but then he was never utilized properly. 2012 was supposed to be his big breakout year but he got hurt again. Last year he was just invisible, other than some notable drops - I still remember that Hamilton game where he was wide open by 20 yards, Hall put it right in his breadbasket and he Kamau'd it. I do wish him well though, and hope he can carve out a career in BC.

I also remember that he had a tendency to create interceptions with his drops - cause the ball to pop up into the air after he failed at catching it.

It happened like 2-3 times on passes sent his way which is fairly frequently considering how often he was thrown the ball.

Speaking of Poblah, is he hurt again? I don't see him on the depth chart for the game tonight?

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/bc/downloads/downloads/2014/06/bc-lions-depth-chart-june-202014065120.pdf

EDIT - I guess he's just sitting this game out...

Receivers

One of the more compelling competitions in camp so far, Courtney Taylor headlines the pass-grabbers Friday as Shawn Gore, Emmanuel Arceneaux, Marco Iannuzzi and Kito Poblah sit this one out. Keep your eye on newcomers Bryan Burnham and Jabin Sambrano who have each had impressive camps. Familiar names such as Ernest Jackson, Korey Williams and S.J. Haidara who have either had limited starts (Williams, Jackson) or limited action at receiver when they have played (Haidara) will have plenty of reps in Edmonton. Whitman Tomusiak is looking more and more like another junior gem from Neil McEvoy’s BCFC stable of talent and newcomer Stephen Adekolu’s lean frame has made him a big target during practices.

But Mack's gone... why keep complaining and bitching about it though?

For me, thinking about the Little joe era makes me want drink the day away. So I often wake up and think about it.

There are three things griller's do best, party, grill and party!

#livin'lagrillaloca.

Kind of embarrassing for me as I defended Mack and many of his picks and I've now been proven wrong on most of them.  I do hope Bilukidi and Mulumba can still find there way here in the future, but I may be delusional again.

It's all optics, in a way.

We just cut a 3rd overall pick who was by and large useless. We rejoice.

We trade a 7th overall pick who was by and large useless. We worry that we didn't get good value.

I think the reaction to Poblah vs. Pencer just a matter of the prominence of the different positions.

I think it's easier to see when an OL isn't doing their job, especially on TV. The OL is on TV every play.  When they screw up, it's usually a sack and the end of a series and an almost certain replay so that the color guy can pin the blame

It's harder to see when a receiver's not doing their job.   A fourth or fifth option receiver like Poblah draws the crowd's/camera's attention 2-3 times a game.  If a guy like Poblah's not productive, maybe it's because he's not getting open, or maybe it's because the QB likes another receiver better, or maybe the offensive scheme never features him.

So I think that bad OL are more natural fan hate targets.  Receivers are largely invisible and get more patience.

For me, thinking about the Little joe era makes me want drink the day away. So I often wake up and think about it.

#livin'lagrillaloca.

Kind of embarrassing for me as I defended Mack and many of his picks and I've now been proven wrong on most of them.  I do hope Bilukidi and Mulumba can still find there way here in the future, but I may be delusional again.

If you were delusional, how would you know it?

Speaking of Poblah, is he hurt again? I don't see him on the depth chart for the game tonight?

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/bc/downloads/downloads/2014/06/bc-lions-depth-chart-june-202014065120.pdf

EDIT - I guess he's just sitting this game out...

Receivers

One of the more compelling competitions in camp so far, Courtney Taylor headlines the pass-grabbers Friday as Shawn Gore, Emmanuel Arceneaux, Marco Iannuzzi and Kito Poblah sit this one out. Keep your eye on newcomers Bryan Burnham and Jabin Sambrano who have each had impressive camps. Familiar names such as Ernest Jackson, Korey Williams and S.J. Haidara who have either had limited starts (Williams, Jackson) or limited action at receiver when they have played (Haidara) will have plenty of reps in Edmonton. Whitman Tomusiak is looking more and more like another junior gem from Neil McEvoy’s BCFC stable of talent and newcomer Stephen Adekolu’s lean frame has made him a big target during practices.

He still may be injured, I can't imagine why a guy like Poblah wouldn't see any action in the pre season. Arceneaux is hurt yet they made no mention of that.

#livin'lagrillaloca.

This has basically ruined my self confidence in predictions and player assessments lol

#livin'lagrillaloca.

If you were delusional, how would you know it?
I'm quite sure many on this board would point it out.