Rookie Camp Day 2 (Reports and Discussion)

Mike

Go Marve go!! About time we had a QB with an arm in camp. And one who is actually accurate. So excited about that. I hope he isn't a flash in the pan. I remember back in 2009 going to a TC practice and seeing Darrel Hackney throw bombs and thought "wow that kid can throw!" and then he was cut two days later. No idea why, other than he looked to be about 50 lbs over weight. Anyway, go Marve go!!! Be the rookie sensation we all want you to be!

Go Marve go!! About time we had a QB with an arm in camp. And one who is actually accurate. So excited about that. I hope he isn't a flash in the pan. I remember back in 2009 going to a TC practice and seeing Darrel Hackney throw bombs and thought "wow that kid can throw!" and then he was cut two days later. No idea why, other than he looked to be about 50 lbs over weight. Anyway, go Marve go!!! Be the rookie sensation we all want you to be!

I don't remember Darrel Hackney being any good outside of his strong arm.

I recall going and seeing hackney.. he did have a big arm but he also had a big gut... didn't seem to be very committed actually is what i remember. Went with a friend and we both were like " that is the guy that played in the NFL". how? he is so fat it's crazy.. dude was as big as some of our oline guys at the time. I was excited when they signed him but after seeing him in person, both me and my friend were like yeah, he's not gonna be here long.

I'm sorry but I can't help but chuckle at the people enamoured with a big arm QB. Is it nice to have? Sure of course. But until you've shown that you can read a defence at a professional level (far more important than any one skill, including a big arm) you haven't done squat. Lets wait until the exhibition games before we start getting a little chubby in the pants shall we?

I'm sorry but I can't help but chuckle at the people enamoured with a big arm QB. Is it nice to have? Sure of course. But until you've shown that you can read a defence at a professional level (far more important than any one skill, including a big arm) you haven't done squat. Lets wait until the exhibition games before we start getting a little chubby in the pants shall we?

Nobody is getting a little chubby other than you perhaps. The people who reported from training camp are just reporting what they saw, nothing more nothing less. If you don't like the reports because they might be enthusiastic then don't read them!

The receivers that I thought stood out today were Jason Barnes and Mario Urrutia. The only one that stood out negatively was Braylon Bell (drops) which is too bad because his size is appealing (probably why I watched him a little closer than others.)

Didn't focus my attention anywhere else specific other than the QBs, of course.

Willy>Hall>Marve>(Yantz)>Brohm.

The receivers that I thought stood out today were Jason Barnes and Mario Urrutia. The only one that stood out negatively was Braylon Bell (drops) which is too bad because his size is appealing (probably why I watched him a little closer than others.)

Didn't focus my attention anywhere else specific other than the QBs, of course.

Willy>Hall>Marve>(Yantz)>Brohm.

Are saying Brohm's performance has put him behind Yantz?  

Those of us that remember Dieter Brock in his prime still hunger for a guy that could huck a ball 50 yards with a flick of his wrist. Dieter could throw a football through a car wash and it would be still be dry on the other side. Yes that gives me a chubby, and I'm proud to say it.

Those of us that remember Dieter Brock in his prime still hunger for a guy that could huck a ball 50 yards with a flick of his wrist. Dieter could throw a football through a car wash and it would be still be dry on the other side. Yes that gives me a chubby, and I'm proud to say it.

Michael Bishop could do the same. How did that turn out for the teams he played with? How many rings does either have as a starter of their team? As I said, I get that it's nice to have. It's fun to watch. There are still more important skills for a QB to have.

Michael Bishop could do the same. How did that turn out for the teams he played with? How many rings does either have as a starter of their team? As I said, I get that it's nice to have. It's fun to watch. There are still more important skills for a QB to have.

LOL - please tell me that you didn't just equate Dieter Brock with Michael Bishop. There's having an arm and a brain, and just an arm. I hope Marve has both like Dieter did (unless he was at the zoo), but we will see.

LOL - please tell me that you didn't just equate Dieter Brock with Michael Bishop. There's having an arm and a brain, and just an arm. I hope Marve has both like Dieter did (unless he was at the zoo), but we will see.

Bottom line - Brock couldn't get the job done. What matters at the end of the day is how many rings you have and he ended up with none and we traded him. Even better we beat him in the Grey Cup with a guy who had half the arm (if he was lucky) that Brock did which even further drives home my point. A cannon arm means nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's only a small piece of the puzzle and far from a prerequisite to be a good quarterback. Until Marve (which is the point in all of this) demonstrates in a game he has a brain to go with his arm, frankly, he's just another likely TCF. 

Bottom line - Brock couldn't get the job done.

I'm not going to get into an argument about this. You have to remember the time frame. We had some damn good teams in the Brock era, but no one could hold a candle to the 1978-1982 Edmonton Eskimo teams. They were in a league of their own. Dieter just hit a really bad time in CFL history to be at the top of his game, I've never seen a team that dominant as the Eskimos were at that point since, other than perhaps the 1985 Chicago Bears.

Sadly Bishop would of probably outplayed most of the guys we had on the field over the last several years.    He definitely was better then battered up Buck,  Brink, Goltz and Mr Lightning Boltus.    

Man we really have gone through some hard times when you Bishop no longer is among the worst 5 qbs you've had in the last 10 years....

OShea's post practice interview - 2nd day.

What caught O'Shea's eye among the rookies today? -      The defensive live..they were down a guy and they persevered and gutted it out.

Showed character? -      Yep, they get it, it's a job interview.

What do like about Kenny Tate? -      What's not to like about him? …When you talk to him you understand he really loves to play football.

Any running back stand out? -    Credit to the scouting staff , we have very good competition, these guys can play…fun to watch.

Kicking position, any ideas yet, ratio….? -    It will come right down to the end..it will be a roster decision.

Anybody stand out so far? -    A few guys , def. line QBs and the RBs. they get it. They have their one opportunity and they run with it.

http://www.bluebombers.com/video/index/id/96465

OShea's post practice interview - 2nd day.

What caught O'Shea's eye among the rookies today? -      The defensive live..they were down a guy and they persevered and gutted it out.

Showed character? -      Yep, they get it, it's a job interview.

What do like about Kenny Tate? -      What's not to like about him? …When you talk to him you understand he really loves to play football.

Any running back stand out? -    Credit to the scouting staff , we have very good competition, these guys can play…fun to watch.

Kicking position, any ideas yet, ratio….? -    It will come right down to the end..it will be a roster decision.

Anybody stand out so far? -    A few guys , def. line QBs and the RBs. they get it. They have their one opportunity and they run with it.

http://www.bluebombers.com/video/index/id/96465

Very diplomatic answer.  O'Shea seems to be learning fast how to talk without saying anything.

I made it over there yesterday - used up a personal leave day at that.

O'Shea was working them hard, but it was all pretty basic stuff. Yep, the DL looked good during running drills, they were really stuffing it, but also got fooled on a few misdirection plays.

Receivers and DB's were interesting. A few tall receivers with good hands (names escape me).  Some nice one on one coverage skills among the DB's (granted the receivers were mostly rookies)

Agree with what O'Shea said re: QBs and RBs.  Some crisps throws and good reads from the QBs during drills.

To be fair to Michael Bishop, in his later years I really don't think it was a lack of brain - he seemed to understand what / where he needed to put the ball.

He just didn't have a hint of accuracy