2014 CFL Draft blog

Mike

Don't like that comment at all.

No pressure kid.

The first time I saw that comment it wasn't quite so specific, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he meant start eventually, not immediately. This quote doesn't leave it open to interpretation.

O’Shea’s inexperience is what’s showing through with a statement like that. I have no problems with a coach wanting to set expectations for his players, but you’ll be better off in the face of the public if you don’t paint yourself into a corner. 

Either way, whomever we draft with our first pick, will have goals and expectations for themselves too.  It all creates pressure, or motivation, depending on how you take it.

Only posted my mock draft yesterday and I'm already starting to doubt it.

It could be a giant smokescreen but the interest Ottawa has in Quinn Smith seems to be very real. Could they take him 1st overall?

I read an article that suggested that may be a possibility. But I just can't see them passing on Lavertu. He is just a perfect fit, with their OL needs and the fact that Ottawa is going to want French players on their team. Drafting a Franco first overall will be great for relations with the French fans.

I have to agree that Lavertu would be a no-brainer fit for Ottawa, so does that mean it's Desjardins pick?

I would love to have Lavertu on our roster, but I'm starting to see the benefit of choosing Smith.

Despite MOS's proclamation about his #1 having to suit up immediately I suspect he'll start selling that idea down once the guy arrives at camp, whomever it may be. Its basically the same old wishful thinking the Bomber braintrust has been guilty of for many years!

Except that it's Walters choice, not O'Shea's, on who they pick.

I suspect that O'Shea will have a strong voice in the choice, being as how he is the one to direct the team on the field.
Definitely O'Shea will have a lot of input but it is ultimately Walters' decision.

But Walters knows how badly and desperately his team needs a quality canadian hog. Problem made worse by the fact the 2 american imports they usually dress are borderline guys, certainly not dominant at their positions. (If you're gonna dress American OLs, just make sure they're monsters)

Interesting thoughts from Westwood from the BigShow this morning...

#2 overall for Riders Corey Watman (who backup Picard)

what's your thoughts about that?

Isn't Watman a guard? We have enough guards. We need a centre.

I'm not sure of this but he was a backup center for the Riders.

http://www.riderville.com/depthchart/game/depthid/10073

#2 for watman straight up? no thanks.

#2 for watman sasks 8th and 2nd rounder that they got from us in the neufeld deal? id think about it.

But definitely not straight up.

We need canadian depth, if sask wants that pick bad enough, then they will have to offer more then just watman. 

#2 for watman sasks 8th and 2nd rounder that they got from us in the neufeld deal? id think about it.

We need canadian depth, if sask wants that pick bad enough, then they will have to offer more then just watman.

They traded the 2nd rounder they got from us to Hamilton.

They traded the 2nd rounder they got from us to Hamilton.

oh right, the punter deal.. right. forget about that one. Then watman 8th and 18th then. 

That would be insane.  We need seven starting Canadians first.  Depth is a problem too, but you're not going to solve that in this draft.  Other than Lavertu, there is no interior OL prospect in this draft remotely near the quality of Watman.

I'd give up #2 in a flash to get Watman, I might ask for a one of Saskatchewan's picks other than their 1st, but if the Bombers really want that type of player coming out of this draft, that would be an easy trade to make.

I'm not sure the Riders would make that deal though.  Picard is coming to the end of the line, and there's no real need for the Riders to acquire the 2nd overall pick.  Watman is probably more valuable to them.

That would be insane.  We need seven starting Canadians first.  Depth is a problem too, but you're not going to solve that in this draft.  Other than Lavertu, there is no interior OL prospect in this draft remotely near the quality of Watman.

I'd give up #2 in a flash to get Watman, I might ask for a one of Saskatchewan's picks other than their 1st, but if the Bombers really want that type of player coming out of this draft, that would be an easy trade to make.

I'm not sure the Riders would make that deal though.  Picard is coming to the end of the line, and there's no real need for the Riders to acquire the 2nd overall pick.  Watman is probably more valuable to them.

I guess what the Riders could do is take Smith to start rebuilding their Canadians on the dl, then take Goosen with their own pick to backup Picard.