REDBLACKS major announcement today, Burris Signed

gbill2004

My thoughts...

-Disappointed that we didn't get Hank but at $465,000 Walters made the right move.

-While Burris would have given us a legit starter and probably 8 or 9 wins that likely doesn't get us in the playoffs.

-We were probably looking at Burris for two years which really is a stop gap. Maybe it's best that this happens and it forces us to 'do it the right way' and find a long term answer.

-Just sucks to know that we have no chance at a GC this year and probably next (assuming we are developing a young QB), which would mean a win in 2016...26 years between Championships, I'd be 33 and too old to really enjoy it. 

-Mostly disapointing because acquiring Banks and Burris sent a message that we want to win NOW.

I have little Faith we find our own young, promising qb... We haven't done it in the past 20 years... Insanity.. doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Yer hilarious.. 20 years? Didn't we find McManus in the first place and give khari and then Glenn their shots (even if we didn't "bring" them to the cfl). Not to mention when was the last time we had a CFL hall of fame QB doing the scouting for a new qb?

Lighten up. It's not the same thing at all.

This is getting ridiculous.

The RedBlacks are not paying Burris $465,000 unless he is the MOP after their Grey Cup win...  This money is not 'tied up' - it is money that you have to start juggling if all of a sudden you are a real contender.  

IF Hank is lighting it up, Glenn will simply be traded.  That's how this league works - the Bombers just don't get it.

Probably came down to Ottawa offering a much bigger signing bonus than we did...

The RedBlacks are not paying Burris $465,000 unless he is the MOP after their Grey Cup win...  This money is not 'tied up' - it is money that you have to start juggling if all of a sudden you are a real contender.  

IF Hank is lighting it up, Glenn will simply be traded.  That's how this league works - the Bombers just don't get it.

Probably came down to Ottawa offering a much bigger signing bonus than we did...

You have no idea what you're talking about.  All speculation.

I'm so glad we aren't overpaying for a QB, I'd much rather have no one at all. The name of the game is not winning, it is saving as much money as possible. Save save save.

What exactly were you expecting Henry Burris to win for us?  

And yes...Walters should be sure to sign Steve Myddleton, the mystical free agent NI OL, just give him a blank cheque.

It is going to be a couple years of rebuilding in terms of NI's and QB's.  That's the price we pay for relying on Buck Pierce for 4 seasons, wasting picks on Etienne's and Pencer's.  If this rebuild isn't done right and we chase mediocre players like Burris to the detriment of developing better players, it will take even longer.

But if the fans sit through two more years of medirocity there won't be any fans left to pay the bills...

Pierce was a stop gap to help fill the void while we looked for / developed a future starting QB.. it didn't happen..  The qbs that we had failed to perform and have been cast off.

If you are okay with 2 more years for 4-14 - 6-12  years you will be mightly lonely in the stands.. 

The major fallacy spewing from yourself and a few others is that Burris and a couple free agents in this year's market are going to change the fact that we are the worst team in our division...they won't.

Need to rebuild this football team from the ground up, starting with management and coaching, now on the field.

Rebuilding is a fallacy in a 9 team league where 6 make the playoffs...where all the teams are on the same level playing field fighting to recruit imports from the same talent pool down south...those perceived to be not good enough or lacking the physical makeup to be in the NFL.  Reloading while building up your non-import talent base through the draft is completely feasible.  There are several examples of this.

We aren't on the same level as other teams recruiting anybody...see Eric Norwood.

We need to rebuild.  This isn't a regular 3-15 team, this is a rotten franchise.

Next time I look please tell me the signs of a regular 3-15 team. I need to know.  ;)

So, $450,000 plus incentives. This is the new standard now for qbs. Like I said earlier either here or on another thread, the top CFL qbs will be getting half a mill a year or more when the new CBA comes into effect in conjunction with the new tv deal. So, get used to it. It came a bit early. A year from now this contract may look like a deal.

So, $450,000 plus incentives. This is the new standard now for qbs. Like I said earlier either here or on another thread, the top CFL qbs will be getting half a mill a year or more when the new CBA comes into effect in conjunction with the new tv deal. So, get used to it. It came a bit early. A year from now this contract may look like a deal.

It's more likely to be the worst contract since Casey Printers signed with the Ticats.

My thoughts...

-Disappointed that we didn't get Hank but at $465,000 Walters made the right move.

-While Burris would have given us a legit starter and probably 8 or 9 wins that likely doesn't get us in the playoffs.

-We were probably looking at Burris for two years which really is a stop gap. Maybe it's best that this happens and it forces us to 'do it the right way' and find a long term answer.

-Just sucks to know that we have no chance at a GC this year and probably next (assuming we are developing a young QB), which would mean a win in 2016...26 years between Championships, I'd be 33 and too old to really enjoy it. 

-Mostly disapointing because acquiring Banks and Burris sent a message that we want to win NOW.

At some point our run of bad luck has to end. I never thought I would see a GC in Winnipeg back in the 1980's and then all of a sudden Harold Ballard gifted us Tom Clements. You never know what might fall in your lap in this league. You just have to keep trucking.

We had Dieter Brock to deal. Huge difference. 

It's more likely to be the worst contract since Casey Printers signed with the Ticats.

Maybe. The guy is playing on a team not expected to win a GC so he has no pressure to really win. Therefore the fact he signed a huge contract & the team has minimal success will smudge how people ulltimately judge his performance vs what his being paid. Hank's laughing. 

You have no idea what you're talking about.  All speculation.

This is exactly like when we heard Reilly got $250k last year... everyone was like 'thank god Mack didn't over pay' and then it turns out that his salary was $70k signing, $70-80k salary and incentives...  pretty reasonable.

Yup, I have no idea... but neither does anyone else on this forum.  No where have I seen $465 plus incentives...

The RedBlacks are not paying Burris $465,000 unless he is the MOP after their Grey Cup win... This money is not 'tied up' - it is money that you have to start juggling if all of a sudden you are a real contender.

IF Hank is lighting it up, Glenn will simply be traded. That's how this league works - the Bombers just don't get it.

You have no idea what you're talking about. All speculation.

This is exactly like when we heard Reilly got $250k last year... everyone was like 'thank god Mack didn't over pay' and then it turns out that his salary was $70k signing, $70-80k salary and incentives... pretty reasonable.

Yup, I have no idea... but neither does anyone else on this forum. No where have I seen $465 plus incentives...

Free Press said $465. Penton and Edwards both said Burris got $450 plus incentives.

The RedBlacks are not paying Burris $465,000 unless he is the MOP after their Grey Cup win... This money is not 'tied up' - it is money that you have to start juggling if all of a sudden you are a real contender.

IF Hank is lighting it up, Glenn will simply be traded. That's how this league works - the Bombers just don't get it.

This is exactly like when we heard Reilly got $250k last year... everyone was like 'thank god Mack didn't over pay' and then it turns out that his salary was $70k signing, $70-80k salary and incentives... pretty reasonable.

Yup, I have no idea... but neither does anyone else on this forum. No where have I seen $465 plus incentives...

Free Press said $465. Penton and Edwards both said Burris got $450 plus incentives.

Link please...  Penton's twitter says 'way over 400k' and Edwards said around $450k range...

Link please...  Penton's twitter says 'way over 400k' and Edwards said around $450k range...

Here's one:

Former Ticats quarterback Henry Burris landed the big pay day he was looking for on Tuesday, signing a two-year deal with the Ottawa Redblacks worth in the neighbourhood of $450,000 a year, making him one of the highest paid players in the league. - The Scratching Post http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/

Link please... Penton's twitter says 'way over 400k' and Edwards said around $450k range...

Listen to Penton on Jim Toth's CJOB show tonight. He said $450.

My thoughts...

I have little Faith we find our own young, promising qb... We haven't done it in the past 20 years... Insanity.. doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Yer hilarious.. 20 years? Didn't we find McManus in the first place and give khari and then Glenn their shots (even if we didn't "bring" them to the cfl). Not to mention when was the last time we had a CFL hall of fame QB doing the scouting for a new qb?

Lighten up. It's not the same thing at all.

Danny McManus came into the league in 1990.. 24 years ago...

Khari and Glenn were backups from other teams that we traded for.. Khari came in and took over for from Bell if I recall correctly and Glenn was backing up Khari and took over after Khari's shoulder gave out.

So.. No.. Since Danny Mcmanus, who have we developed by scouting and bringing in vs Trading for someone else's backup?   No one that has become a starter yet.

Not saying we don't trade for someone.. but i have zero faith that after 20 years we find a QB not in the league now that is starting for us next year or the year after that.. And then that might be too soon to expect a non cfl  Qb to come into the leauge learn the ropes..

Except Burris has thrown for 5000 yards wherever he has played and scored plenty of touchdowns.

Printers played well in BC with a great supporting cast, and no where else.

Except Burris has thrown for 5000 yards wherever he has played and scored plenty of touchdowns.

And also throws plenty of picks, got benched more than anyone should with the money he makes, and more often than not doesn't get the job done when it gets cold outside.

And also throws plenty of picks, got benched more than anyone should with the money he makes, and more often than not doesn't get the job done when it gets cold outside.

...and, he wasn't 39 when he was doing all those good things...

We had Dieter Brock to deal. Huge difference.

LOL - if you remember, he wasn't really "dealt", he just decided that he wanted to play in Hamilton, so Ballard "gave" us Clements in return. Dieter had just given up on Winnipeg, and really screwed himself with his zoo comment. After that no one wanted him around here. We were just lucky that Ballard gave us something in return. And something really really good.