REDBLACKS major announcement today, Burris Signed

gbill2004

The bottom line is this folks. Regardless of the cap going up or how much room we have you just DO NOT pay that kind of money to a 39 year old quarterback. It's just not in any way, shape or form smart business. His track record doesn't justify it, his age doesn't justify it and us being a rebuilding ball club does not justify it. 

All that being said Henry isn't the bad guy here. It's quite clear what he wanted: One last big pay day before he retires, and hey good for him, he got it. Today should be much more about the Ottawa business model than us losing out on a quarterback. It's clear that Desjardins hasn't learned from his Hamilton days, and that Ottawa as a whole has not learned from one of the many reasons behind them folding yet again.

QB is the most important position on a team.  A good QB can be the difference between 5 and 10 wins.  The Bombers needed Burris and today was a collosal failure.  With the cap going up, we should have paid $500,000 for Burris, if needed.  Looks like its on to option C.  Walters better not f*ck that up too. 

I'm so glad we aren't overpaying for a QB, I'd much rather have no one at all. The name of the game is not winning, it is saving as much money as possible. Save save save.

What exactly were you expecting Henry Burris to win for us?  

And yes...Walters should be sure to sign Steve Myddleton, the mystical free agent NI OL, just give him a blank cheque.

It is going to be a couple years of rebuilding in terms of NI's and QB's.  That's the price we pay for relying on Buck Pierce for 4 seasons, wasting picks on Etienne's and Pencer's.  If this rebuild isn't done right and we chase mediocre players like Burris to the detriment of developing better players, it will take even longer.

QB is the most important position on a team.  A good QB can be the difference between 5 and 10 wins.  The Bombers needed Burris and today was a collosal failure.  With the cap going up, we should have paid $500,000 for Burris, if needed.  Looks like its on to option C.  Walters better not f*ck that up too. 

4-12 against the West the last 2 seasons.

Half a million bucks for a likely 6 win 39 year old QB in Blue and Gold.

That would have been an epic fail.

Taking the low end of your range, if you really think Burris would give us 5 extra wins (bringing us to 8-10) in 2014, please pass me what you're drinking. This TEAM, as a whole has way to many problems to be 8-10 this year.

4-12 against the West the last 2 seasons.

Half a million bucks for a likely 6 win 39 year old QB in Blue and Gold.

That would have been an epic fail.

Bingo.

I'm so glad we aren't overpaying for a QB, I'd much rather have no one at all. The name of the game is not winning, it is saving as much money as possible. Save save save.

And yes...Walters should be sure to sign Steve Myddleton, the mystical free agent NI OL, just give him a blank cheque.

It is going to be a couple years of rebuilding in terms of NI's and QB's.  That's the price we pay for relying on Buck Pierce for 4 seasons, wasting picks on Etienne's and Pencer's.  If this rebuild isn't done right and we chase mediocre players like Burris to the detriment of developing better players, it will take even longer.

If Burris is here, it gives us a couple years to develop a franchise QB...  now we are in a position where we have to 'waste' a pick for Glenn or throw whichever new talent bring in to the wolves... we've seen how that works out.

If Burris is here, it gives us a couple years to develop a franchise QB...  now we are in a position where we have to 'waste' a pick for Glenn or throw whichever new talent bring in to the wolves... we've seen how that works out.

How do you develop QB's?  Hamilton had Burris on their roster the last couple years, is Lefevour ready to start?

It's not as simple as you make it out to be.  QB's need to play to develop.  If Burris would give us a chance to finish top 2 in our division, he would be worth it.  He doesn't.

Not a big deal, adding Burris does nothing to build a team

Sounds good to me but not to a lot of others.

Others: We didn't sign Burris. We should have offered 500k. Oh right...and we need a new O-line. Oh and we need a lot of NIs. And we need to sign some receivers. Ours can't catch. And why have we got so many players going to FA. We should have signed them. MILLER AND WALTERS ARE FAILURES.

Some Others: Sign Burris at the low end of what QBs make. Spend the money elsewhere. Sign Drew Willy. BUT DON'T OVER SPEND. But we need a new O-line, new receivers and all those FAs need to be re-signed. BUT DON'T OVERSPEND.

So what is it boys. Do we empty the bank or do we cheap out. And how in hell do Miller and Walters satisfy you all. Collaros obviously wanted to be with Austin. Not Walters fault unless you wanted to pay him 450k. Ottawa throws money at Burris that Walters can't match because he knows the rest of the team needs to be upgraded. Again not Walters fault.

Don't be surprised if Taman signs Willy or trades him to BC just to get back at Wpg with the way he was dumped.

Not a big deal, adding Burris does nothing to build a team

Sounds good to me but not to a lot of others.

Others: We didn't sign Burris. We should have offered 500k. Oh right...and we need a new O-line. Oh and we need a lot of NIs. And we need to sign some receivers. Ours can't catch. And why have we got so many players going to FA. We should have signed them. MILLER AND WALTERS ARE FAILURES.

Some Others: Sign Burris at the low end of what QBs make. Spend the money elsewhere. Sign Drew Willy. BUT DON'T OVER SPEND. But we need a new O-line, new receivers and all those FAs need to be re-signed. BUT DON'T OVERSPEND.

So what is it boys. Do we empty the bank or do we cheap out. And how in hell do Miller and Walters satisfy you all. Collaros obviously wanted to be with Austin. Not Walters fault unless you wanted to pay him 450k. Ottawa throws money at Burris that Walters can't match because he knows the rest of the team needs to be upgraded. Again not Walters fault.

Don't be surprised if Taman signs Willy or trades him to BC just to get back at Wpg with the way he was dumped.

Simply put it's just about being smart. One could justify overpaying for a young or even a middle aged quarterback because it in turn gives you that stability as a franchise that many covet. Essentially Walters is in a game of poker right now, he knew what he had in Burris or what Burris had to offer the team and when the stakes got to high he folded his cards, and it was a very smart decision. Just as there is more than one hand when playing cards, people can bet their bottom dollar that Walters has other cards that he has yet to play.

In my opinion, Hank took the easy way out here.

Tons of money, play for a team that has no pressure on them to be successful at all.

In Winnipeg all the pressure would be on him to turn around the offence, and make the team successful again.  Winning is expected/demanded in Winnipeg.  In Ottawa showing up is probably good enough.

Tons of money, play for a team that has no pressure on them to be successful at all.

In Winnipeg all the pressure would be on him to turn around the offence, and make the team successful again.  Winning is expected/demanded in Winnipeg.  In Ottawa showing up is probably good enough.

Plus they'll have a whole new squad of cheerleaders that he's never met before.

Last time Burris signed with a new team he took them to a 6 - 12 record in his first season. 

The team had the best offense in the league and the worst defense in the league.  Wasn't his fault. 

Bottom line is today is a massive failure for the Bomber organization.  I'm constantly defending the Bombers but today was a colossal failure.  Walters really let us down. 

Like the MPs

Fine, Glenn plus Willy then. 

That could still work. Though I doubt the Bombers can swing it.

Here's to giving Drew Willy the reigns in 2014 -- running for his life from the very first play behind a patchwork O-line. 

Injured and out of football by Labour Day. 

Or crushed under the weight of a fan-base's  unrealistic expectations ..

Imagine Bomber fans wanting a playoff spot. Not a GC championship  Just a playoff spot. Oh & some respect. Yep, unrealistic alright. 

My point is more to the fact that the vast majority of uneducated fans are going to expect whomever it is that lines up behind centre to work miracles and simply go out and win .. they aren't ready for a young quarterback to struggle .. to allow that player to learn to fight through adversity and eek out tough wins .. to grow from those tough loses .. people are going to want to yank him at the first sign of trouble .. it's a sure fire way to destroy the confidence of a young player and it's part of the reason why we find ourselves in this situation now ..

Blaming uneducated fans for the lack of development of this team, in particular whomever the young QB happens to be at the moment, is a copout excuse for the general incompetence of the management of this team for the past 6 or so years.  Sorry, but I've seen you and a few others use this excuse over the past few years and it doesn't wash. 

Even if the fans are "educated" and I think there are quite a few more than you are willing to give credit to, that by no way means the QB will improve to be a capable starter - he could simply not be talented enough or be capable of playing to the level of the CFL and/or he might not given the surrounding talent to be successful (O-line and receivers).   

Patience in and of itself is but one factor in the successful development of a starting QB, not the only thing.  The talent and the ability of the individual to learn and the supporting pieces (Linemen, receivers) are just as important if not moreso.  Bombers could have had all the patience in the world with guys like Jyles, Brink and Elliott (and in the future Goltz) and kept them around for another 3 years.  It wouldn't have mattered - their talent or lack thereof and their inability to learn and grow would have prevented them from improving.  The fact that two of them are out of the league and one will soon be cut proves my point.

As for our Qb dilemma, I would take Glenn although Burris would have been a better choice with his ability to scramble.  That's a necessary ability given our pathetic O-line.  Glenn can't scramble worth crap.

Last time Burris signed with a new team he took them to a 6 - 12 record in his first season. 

The team had the best offense in the league and the worst defense in the league.  Wasn't his fault. 

Bottom line is today is a massive failure for the Bomber organization.  I'm constantly defending the Bombers but today was a colossal failure.  Walters really let us down. 

You said the same thing twice already or did you forget? One thought mind!