REDBLACKS major announcement today, Burris Signed

gbill2004

Why is Ottawa not getting heat for this. You drafted Glenn if the plan was to sign Burris all along why didn't you pick a import from Calgary that could fill a hole in your starting line up. Also you would freed up a couple Canadians that the Stamps did not have protect. If they don't get anything for Glenn or he never takes a snap in a meaningful situation its a waste.

Maybe because you hedge your bets and take the best QB you can guarantee  you can get through the draft without having to to worry about the outcome of a bidding war..  You know.. like we could have traded for Glenn last year. (speculative) 

If anything it shows they aren't complancent in what they have and are trying to field the strongest team possible.. Wish i could feel the same way about us.  They are sitting pretty.. They have TWO STARTING QBS that HAVE BEEN TO THE GREY CUP In the past two seasons... Meanwhile, we sit here trying to figure out what we can possibly do to find someone better then Hall and Goltz..

Why is Ottawa not getting heat for this. You drafted Glenn if the plan was to sign Burris all along why didn't you pick a import from Calgary that could fill a hole in your starting line up. Also you would freed up a couple Canadians that the Stamps did not have protect. If they don't get anything for Glenn or he never takes a snap in a meaningful situation its a waste.

LOL... really?  They were supposed to plan for Hamilton to sign Collaros and release Burris, and as well assume that they would win the Burris bidding war?

And Ottawa's not getting heat because they did something pretty impressive... won the 39-yr old QB as an EXPANSION FRANCHISE; with him choosing said expansion roster over an existing team in Winnipeg.

There is something still very wrong in Winnipeg that players are attuned to, and our management is not convincing guys that we're righting the ship. 

I agree that we have to be calm at this stage. But we have been calm for so many years and the obvious is happening. We have a rookie CEO, rookie GM, rookie Head Coach it is not a good start to the year. As a veteran in any job would you be enticed to start working for company headed by rookies if you were looking to advance your career.

It's got nothing to do with rookies...there are lots of other reasons why players choose to go to a particular team. You really think Collaros and Burris chose not to come here because we have rookies? They got either a better contract overall, they have better incentives, they have a longer contract, they got more money up front, they got the use of a car from a local dealership, they got their pick of cheerleaders, they like the coaches better....etc.etc.etc.

Bad waste of resources?   How so?  They can cut anyone before training camp without paying a dime.  This will make the team competitve and make it easier to sign FA when the FA know what type of players will be on the team.

They could have taken someone else from Calgary other then Glenn if they had designs on Burris. I just think that Desjardins doesn't know what the hell he's doing, and that this is already looking like yet another gong show in Ottawa.

Pretty big let down again... 3 FA QBs choose not to sign here, for whatever reason.

Three? Burris, Collaros and ??

Reilly

Reilly was traded to Edmonton before free agency last year then was extended. He never hit the market.

We could have made a trade before Edmonton did.

Being a negative whiny ***** serves absolutely zero purpose...

Whatever you say Spuds...

Get muh name off yer keyboard if yer gonna use it douchily plz. I dont say "whatevs sweep the leg" to everyone with a smarmy attitude :P

Pretty big let down again... 3 FA QBs choose not to sign here, for whatever reason.

Reilly

Reilly was traded to Edmonton before free agency last year then was extended. He never hit the market.

and he (evidently) never considered Winnipeg as an option (I believe is the point A_X is raising)

I guess if a bucket of money couldn't get him to Wpg then there is only one reason why he wouldn't come. He couldn't stand the pressure cooker to have to help put a winner on the field and he himself doesn't have the faith in his own abilities.

If it's off to Ottawa then good bye and we'll do it without his help. Period.

Desjardins is looking like a rocket scientist right now.  He makes a play on Burris but still has Glenn as a strong #2 or worst case scenario he has a valuable asset to trade and obtain a player that might fill a current gap or obtain another draft pick. 

He's a ******* genius.  

I'm the ever eternal optimist but today I'm starting to think that this team is in worse shape than I thought.  We have a group of coaches that provides no inspiration to me as a fan and I'm sure players as well.  Did you see any tweets from players applauding the hiring of Etcheverry  or Bellefuielle?   We have a GM that can't seem to sell the team and city to prospective free agents.  Drew Willy may 1 day become a bonafide  #1 QB but that is still a BIG question mark.   

So it's February 4th and we've taken no steps that makes me feel like we've improved the team from last year.  In the meantime, the REDBLACKS have to be considered a better odds on favourites to make the playoffs in their 1st year of operation. 

To those that think we dodged a bullet today by losing out in the Burris sweepstakes.  Let's revisit this at the 9 game mark of the 2014 season and see if you still think the same way.  I believe we'll be having the same discussion as we did last year when we wished we had Reilly and not Max Hall or Justin Goltz. 

Oi the negativity is disgusting. I still have faith in the brain trust to figure this out...

It's February. People need to stop getting their panties in a knot, sit their ass down and just watch it all play out. We have no slightest idea what the final product will be. People need to relax.

Maybe you and Noeller don't.  But I know we're going to suck major ass again this year.

Bookmarked...

Last year 75% of the internet Bomber fan community believed we were going to be good even though it was obvious we weren't.  This year, it's Mr. Perfect and Noeller.  

Oi the negativity is disgusting. I still have faith in the brain trust to figure this out...

It's February. People need to stop getting their panties in a knot, sit their ass down and just watch it all play out. We have no slightest idea what the final product will be. People need to relax.

Maybe you and Noeller don't.  But I know we're going to suck major ass again this year.

Bookmarked...

Last year 75% of the internet Bomber fan community believed we were going to be good even though it was obvious we weren't.  This year, it's Mr. Perfect and Noeller.  

Please show me where I've said we will be a good team this year.

Reilly

We could have made a trade before Edmonton did.

Sure, and the GM at the time has since been fired. To say however that Reilly was a free agent that we missed out on is not true. He was never a free agent.

What was Glenn making last year? (What would he be making this year?)

If Ottawa came close to matching what the Bombers offered Burris, which was reportedly 375k, and Glenn is making 250 - 300, then I don't see how Ottawa could afford both.  If those are the numbers then it's possible that Ottawa will be forced to let Kevin Glenn go.

But like I said, I don't know what the numbers are...

Reilly

Right.. He was traded and signed so he could sign before FA.   Semantics really.

We all know he was going to another team, and would hit FA if hey was interested in signging with anyone else.

But the point still stands.. We missed out on him becuase its appears we are  wasteland where no one wants to risk coming to incase they die due to the radiation poising that apparently exists with our CFL team.