Collaros Released, Signs With Hamilton

Jpan85

This is a very peculiar situation.

The most obvious reason would have been NFL interest, but I just can't see that…no complete resume.

Toronto's motive should have been to move him out West, even for peanuts, but to give Hamilton a clear shot is odd.

You'd think they knew something.

As to the interest from the Bombers...

It seemed to me, from the very start, that the Bombers have only had a passing interest, npi, in Collaros. 

Could this stem from the relationship with the new HC or are they playing this really cool?

Perhaps, through their contacts, they are aware of the ongoings and are preparing to go all in…or not.

One thing for sure, we won't have to wait 'til Feb 15th and that should definitely be a plus one way or another to settle our QB situation.

Depending on how you look at it, this may make it easier to sign him or could make it harder, depending on Toronto’s interest still.  Toronto may have released him, but that doesn’t mean they don’t want him back.  Barker likely saw this as a way to find out what Collaros’ value is now, so he could potentiialy restructure an offer, and determine if they can still afford him.  Barker’s last words to Collaros could have been something like “Call me before you sign anything.” 

This move by Barker doesn't make much sense, unless of course Collaros either has a potential NFL deal lined up or Barker knew no one would trade for Collaros' rights. Now we play the waiting game here in Winnipeg.

If we sign Collaros can we still sign Muamba and Matthews?

Shouldn't be a problem, even without considering that the cap should be going up, the Bombers have some room to play with.

It boggles the mind in this digital age that we haven't heard a peep about Collaros having any NFL tyrouts.  You'd think somebody, somewhere would be able to track him down and find out what he's been up to this winter. 

I guess sprortwriters nowdays mostly poke around on the Internet reading fan forums and speculating wildly as we all do! 

Sounds like a move made simply to move forward with the direction they are going and really, just a parting of the ways.

Barker feels as strong about Harris as Collaros, and I have to wonder if we are all over-valuing Collaros a little bit?

Don't get me wrong, I'd still like to see him here, but I'm not convinced that O'Shea feels as strongly as some.

Odd rationale.  If you pretty much know he's not coming back, why not shop the negotiating rights to every other team?  Collaros is still an asset, even if you only get a 4th or 5th round pick, it's something.

These Collaros reactions are like the highly toughted college QB that during the season has every one is drooling over him.  Yet as you get lead up the draft everyone is nit picking and finding any all reasons why he should not be a first round pick.

Sounds like a move made simply to move forward with the direction they are going and really, just a parting of the ways.

Barker feels as strong about Harris as Collaros, and I have to wonder if we are all over-valuing Collaros a little bit?

Don't get me wrong, I'd still like to see him here, but I'm not convinced that O'Shea feels as strongly as some.

I don't think he does feel as strongly as some people do either, but that's only cause some people seem to think Collaros is a sure fire starter. It's still a risk because he's still unproven, but if you think he's the best unproven guy on the market then you go for him cause there's no good experienced options out there. 

I don't think he does feel as strongly as some people do either, but that's only cause some people seem to think Collaros is a sure fire starter. It's still a risk because he's still unproven, but if you think he's the best unproven guy on the market then you go for him cause there's no good experienced options out there. 

They also have a pretty good backup in Trevor Harris, and a prospect they've been developing for a couple years in Gale.  They are well insulated.

Who's to say that Glenn would automatically be number 1 ?

Look I'm not opposed to Collaros coming here, but to think that Winnipeg is his only option is a bit ridiculous, none of us really know what other teams think of him.

Look I'm not opposed to Collaros coming here, but to think that Winnipeg is his only option is a bit ridiculous, none of us really know what other teams think of him.

No one said that Glenn was #1.  But Glenn thinks he will be since he was grabbed by Ottawa.  That's why he was so excited to be going there.

because Ottawa took Demarco as a backup.... pretty obvious that's what they're planning on going with for their qbs. Oh sure they'll likely put in a call to Collaros but let's be honest, when the guy looks around the league for places he might start Ottawa isn't going to be there. Hamilton if they move on from Burris, Winnipeg or maybe Montreal depending on what they think of the guys they have now are the only real options where it might be a possibility.