Free Agency - 2014...

Mr Dee

Guys, I'm just sayin'. Tired of losing. Tired of always being "years away" from having a good team. Miller promised us we'd be aggressive signing free agent players. Walters toned it down before FA started by saying we'd be active which had me concerned. There always seems to be a ready excuse for as to why we didn't sign someone. Hank was classic. He signed with Ottawa because he wanted his cousins to come watch him play. What a bunch of bullshit. Typical Hank.

Same thing every time with you. Why aren't you ripping BC? They struck out on every player they wanted. Rip Saskatchewan for losing Sanders, Butler and Schmitt.

Every time someone signs in this league, another team or more loess out. Get used to it. No team gets everybody they want.

Rip Wally? Winningest coach in CFL history & uber successful GM? Walters & O'Shea only hope to win half as many games as Buono has the past 25 years. Sask built their team to win a GC at home & now they're up against the cap. Their 1 year gamble paid off. Somehow I knew you'd come after me even though everyone else kept the discussion civil. Why don't you just hit ignore if you find peoples comments not to your liking all the time? I won't miss you. You won't miss me. So,please, go ahead.. You're always getting PO'd about something. 

Sorry but B.C. and Saskatchewan have had FAR worse off seasons than we have had. Just about all the players of value they could lose, they did in fact lose while both teams have added very little. Does Wally have a great track record? Of course, that goes without saying, but there is no way anyone could reasonably argue that they are better today than they were at the end of last season, just as there is no one that could reasonably argue that we are worse today than we were at the end of last season. If you argue or imply things that are simply not true (Such as losing out on Burris as some big catastrophe when an expansion team made a 39 year old QB one of, if not the highest paid player in the league) you are going to get called out on it. That's just how it works. Nothing in Mike's comment that you quoted implies he was uncivil. He did not insult you in any way, shape or form. There is nothing wrong with him being critical of your statement, I would have done (and am doing) the same thing.

The fact is, is that BC and Sask have lost more, and gained less than we have, yet you are being critical of us losing out on Henry Burris of all people? Sorry, Burris was no grand prize, far from it. We have been aggressive NOT ONLY in free agency, but on the trade front to acquire pieces that were of need as well. You're complaining about us being second choice or whatever, but the fact is, is that this team has made more significant moves this off season than in the last three combined. You're not going to get EVERYTHING you want in one off season, that's life, welcome to football. This was never going to be a one year fix. I get that you're tired of being "years away" but guess what? When you're a three win football team, you are in fact years away. That's life and the situation in front of us. Is this team better? Absolutely, no doubt in my mind. Are they contenders yet? Far from it.

Since this current regime has taken over, they have EASILY made more good choices than bad, and mortgaging the future on players that don't justify a certain contract falls into that category. It's not called being cheap. It's called smart business, and that is a fact, whether fans like it or not.

Mr. Perfect, I guess what I'm saying is Wade Miller made it sound like we'd come out guns blazing on Feb 11th. That we wouldn't recognize the team, remember? We signed Nick Moore which was great. But we have the most holes of any team to fill. Yes, we've had better off seasons than BC & Sask, I agree. But we haven't had a better off season than Hamilton or Ottawa. In order for us  to compete in the tough Western Conference we had to have not just a pretty good to great off season, we needed to have a very good to excellent off season. We just have so many holes to fill. My perspective will change if we sign McCune because the guy is a hard nosed MLB who will help our defense be a lot more physical than it was last season.

I'm happy with what we've done so far. I just expected a lot more.  

Mr. Perfect, I guess what I'm saying is Wade Miller made it sound like we'd come out guns blazing on Feb 11th. That we wouldn't recognize the team, remember? We signed Nick Moore which was great. But we have the most holes of any team to fill. Yes, we've had better off seasons than BC & Sask, I agree. But we haven't had a better off season than Hamilton or Ottawa. In order for us  to compete in the tough Western Conference we had to have not just a pretty good to great off season, we needed to have a very good to excellent off season. We just have so many holes to fill. My perspective will change if we sign McCune because the guy is a hard nosed MLB who will help our defense be a lot more physical than it was last season.

I'm happy with what we've done so far. I just expected a lot more.  

McCune is 35 years old and is not the be all end all at MLB. Like RB, MLB is fairly easy to recruit for. If we could get him at a decent price and groom one of our young guys for the year McCune has left I the tank.... fantastic. But if we lose out on him I think your going to be the only one that's truly disappointed.

The guy I really want.... even More so than Kevin Glenn, is Ted Laurent. I sincerely hope that we over pay him to the point where he's the highest paid D-lineman in the league if that's what it takes to get him here. I do not want to have to start Neufeld or Swiston at Tackle.... What a disaster for a young up and coming QB IMO.

Either that or we have to sit someone like Johnny Sears or Chris Randle for the likes of Matt Bucknor or Donovan Alexander.... yuck

again, McCune would be a good addition to the Bombers but it's not the end of the world if we can't sign him. there's a reason why we here in the forum is just talking about it while Walters & co are deciding about it. obviously, they know better than us and that's why they are running the team and not us. i respect their decision if they will sign McMcune or not.

Guys, I'm just sayin'. Tired of losing. Tired of always being "years away" from having a good team. Miller promised us we'd be aggressive signing free agent players. Walters toned it down before FA started by saying we'd be active which had me concerned. There always seems to be a ready excuse for as to why we didn't sign someone. Hank was classic. He signed with Ottawa because he wanted his cousins to come watch him play. What a bunch of bullshit. Typical Hank.

Same thing every time with you. Why aren't you ripping BC? They struck out on every player they wanted. Rip Saskatchewan for losing Sanders, Butler and Schmitt.

Every time someone signs in this league, another team or more loess out. Get used to it. No team gets everybody they want.

Rip Wally? Winningest coach in CFL history & uber successful GM? Walters & O'Shea only hope to win half as many games as Buono has the past 25 years. Sask built their team to win a GC at home & now they're up against the cap. Their 1 year gamble paid off. Somehow I knew you'd come after me even though everyone else kept the discussion civil. Why don't you just hit ignore if you find peoples comments not to your liking all the time? I won't miss you. You won't miss me. So,please, go ahead.. You're always getting PO'd about something. 

Not uncivil at it. Just suggesting you would benefit by tempering your expectations. The thing people often forget when free agency comes up is that the teams don't decide who they sign. The players do. It's not up to us. You could have a free agent that 6 teams want and they all handle everything properly with the negotations. He's still only going to sign one contract.

Not uncivil at it. Just suggesting you would benefit by tempering your expectations. The thing people often forget when free agency comes up is that the teams don't decide who they sign. The players do. It's not up to us. You could have a free agent that 6 teams want and they all handle everything properly with the negotations. He's still only going to sign one contract.

The players decide where they sign, but the teams decide what they are offering.  ISO's simply suggesting that we offer more, because we have to, to get more of the players we want.  Personally, McCune isn't where I'd spend a lot.  I'd save it for the Laurent sweepstakes, but ISO's point remains.  To get players to ignore the 3-15 season and the rookie GM/HC and the poor O line and the first time starting QB, we are going to have to pay them more than other teams. 

The players decide where they sign, but the teams decide what they are offering.  ISO's simply suggesting that we offer more, because we have to, to get more of the players we want.  Personally, McCune isn't where I'd spend a lot.  I'd save it for the Laurent sweepstakes, but ISO's point remains.  To get players to ignore the 3-15 season and the rookie GM/HC and the poor O line and the first time starting QB, we are going to have to pay them more than other teams. 

And when we offer that, but they still elect to go somewhere else because of a million other factors -- compatibility with coaches, location, role on the team, etc -- then what?

I agree with you and Iso when you say we need to offer more money. It's obvious that's what Walters thinks too because we outbid anybody on Nick Moore AND Craig Butler. But as you can see, it's just not all about the money.

I am disappointed that we lost out on Butler but probably moreso that it seems that we didn't really pursue Myddleton or even Jones.  Not super big names but one of those guys, especially Myddleton, would have made a real difference on our OL.

I do agree its another off-season that it feels like we didn't quite 'close the deal' - right or wrong, the perception was that we 'lost out' on Collaros and Burris and settled for Drew Willy.  Combine that with the fact that we did not have our coaching staff announced...  I think that really hampered us in FA.

That being said, after Mack's scorched earth policy, we did okay.

Mr. Perfect, I guess what I'm saying is Wade Miller made it sound like we'd come out guns blazing on Feb 11th. That we wouldn't recognize the team, remember? 

Miller said we wouldn't recognize the roster from the one that ended the year. He did not say it would be through Free Agency.

Walter's said we would look at Free Agency and try to make some moves there if it made sense….if it made sense.

We've dropped over 20 players from last year's roster, including several starters, and we've made more moves in Free Agency than in years, but there was a lot to address, and we weren't going to do it all through Free Agency, so I don't blame the Bombers for not getting everybody they wanted, but I will give them credit for trying, and for offering at least the going rate, and more, for these guys.

Butler, Bourke, were never coming here.

And think about Laurent.

Where do you think his preferences are?

And a big fat no to Arland Bruce, thank you.

I am disappointed that we lost out on Butler but probably moreso that it seems that we didn't really pursue Myddleton or even Jones.  Not super big names but one of those guys, especially Myddleton, would have made a real difference on our OL.

I do agree its another off-season that it feels like we didn't quite 'close the deal' - right or wrong, the perception was that we 'lost out' on Collaros and Burris and settled for Drew Willy.  Combine that with the fact that we did not have our coaching staff announced...  I think that really hampered us in FA.

You really think Andrew Jones or Myddelton would be an improvement here? I don't.

You really think Andrew Jones or Myddelton would be an improvement here? I don't.

Better than Kowalczuk?  Morely?  Myddleton is for sure... some injury probs but still only 27

Would rather have one of those two guys as possible Centres than whatever our plan is right now...