Pre-Season Game 1: Argonauts @ Bluebombers - June 12 @ 7Pm Cdt

M.O.A.B.

Did Burke say today that Goltz will play the first half in Guelph, Hall and Clement the second half?  Is it good to start a season with a QB who hasn't completed a pass in pre-season?

Probably not but in all likelihood the majority of snaps throughout the season will be taken by QBs other than Pierce so it's not a terrible idea to get them as much experience as possible, considering they all seem to have a ways to go.

So what if Buck doesn't play in the second game? Teams very often don't play their projected starter in away games, while the home to get's the privilege and advantage (hahahaha) of playing their starter. Are you guys seriously worried that Buck is incapable of completing a pass? Seriously, you can thank Isaac Anderson for several of those incomplete passes.

So what if Buck doesn't play in the second game? Teams very often don't play their projected starter in away games, while the home to get's the privilege and advantage (hahahaha) of playing their starter. Are you guys seriously worried that Buck is incapable of completing a pass? Seriously, you can thank Isaac Anderson for several of those incomplete passes.

yea cuz i mean, he sucked in limited reps.. means he is done can't throw or run an offense anymore ;)

good call on anderson.. odd he had the dropsies so bad.. 

Usually the starter plays the entire first half and part of the 3rd quarter with adjustments of the second pre-season game, home or away.  You don't think there is a bit of rust to shake off in terms of getting to game speed after an off-season?

Usually the starter plays the entire first half and part of the 3rd quarter with adjustments of the second pre-season game, home or away.  You don't think there is a bit of rust to shake off in terms of getting to game speed after an off-season?

You're right, that happens too... but last year in week 1 we only took Brink, Elliott, and Goltz to Montreal, and Montreal didn't even bother playing Calvillo at home. And I think learning a new system is the only reason Burris came to Winnipeg in week 2, otherwise he probably would have sat, too. As for the rust, the best I can hope is that Burke steps up the pace at practice even further.

Actually, the very best I can hope is for either Hall or Goltz to wow us so much in game 2 that one of them is named starter!

Wish into one hand...

As I understand this.....

We are forced to yank our vet starter, after 3 series....because the big bad Argos decided to engage that shocking defensive strategy, known as the "blitz".....and it is their fault for doing it..... because they "shouldn't do it" and/or.... we can't stop it!    Nothing like handing the opposition an advantage on us, both physically and mentally......

The Argos read the paper, featuring Burke's comments...... before the game, and somehow deduce that running a blitz or two, just might be a real good idea.   Hell, if I was them....I sure as hell, would, period.

And then I hear all the whining on OB and other quarters, about it.  If the team has become that paranoid, about Buck....then his usefulness may be coming to a quick end.... 

Pretty weak sauce.......that needs to be replaced with some jam..... 

I think that we should just ask the other teams we play this year really nicely if they'd not blitz all game.  And then make pouty faces at them when they break their word.

I'm not trying to be a homer here but I'm pretty sure I've seen a doucmentary where the coaches have agreed to no blitzes or trick plays in a pre season game and that generally blitzing and trick plays aren't done in a pre season game but you don't have to believe me....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8281f3fe/article/donte-whitner-says-saints-blitzed-hard-in-preseason

And then there's the 2011 preseason opener between the Saints and San Francisco 49ers, now best remembered as "That One Without The Gentleman's Agreement."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/17/49ers-coach-thankful-saints-showed-their-blitzes-in-preseason/

"Back in August, there was a mini-controversy after the 49ers faced the Saints because New Orleans blitzed San Francisco in their first preseason game like it was the second round of the playoffs."

There is no question that the Argos pulled some underhanded stuff yesterday, but if you didn't know that Chris Jones is an *******, then you haven't been paying attention. I would say that Coach Burke learned a valuable lesson last night...a mistake he won't make again.

Blitzing specifically to chase a QB from the game (notice how they stopped after Buck left) in the pre-season is ethically grey in my opinion. Your focus should be on evaluating your players, not trying to prevent your opponents from evaluating theirs...

On that same coin though, wouldn't sending the house using your pass rushing guys let you evaluate who gets at the QB best, even if its against backup o-line (well in this case, our starters I thought)   

So not only do they get to rattle buck but get to eval that section of their defense.. shady? yup.  like mentioned above, normally the gentleman's agreement before hand covers blitzes all day and trick plays n such..   must not have been on the table from Jones to Burke.. 

If this is true, why do most teams run an incredibly vanilla pre season game?

Mostly because you have 30-40 guys who have never played in the league and have practiced for 2 weeks.  You are evaluating them, you aren't going to spend all your time in training camp scheming.  You decide who is on the team, then you really get into scheme.  Camp is just the basics.

On that same coin though, wouldn't sending the house using your pass rushing guys let you evaluate who gets at the QB best, even if its against backup o-line (well in this case, our starters I thought)   

So not only do they get to rattle buck but get to eval that section of their defense.. shady? yup.  like mentioned above, normally the gentleman's agreement before hand covers blitzes all day and trick plays n such..   must not have been on the table from Jones to Burke.. 

Burke said that Milanovich told him that they'd be blitzing in scrums days before the game.  You can't win in this league if you can't get pressure with 4 guys, so that front 4 is really who you want to be evaluating.  If you are blitzing lots you aren't going to get a great read on those guys.

Well if that were the case they wouldn't have stopped as soon as Buck was gone. I'm not willing to give CJ any benefit of the doubt after last year.

Well if that were the case they wouldn't have stopped as soon as Buck was gone. I'm not willing to give CJ any benefit of the doubt after last year.

they may have once they saw what they could do against our starters.. (was the o-line starters too) dont get me wrong, odds are good that it was jones being an ass just as much too..  he wants to get into buck's head already, i dont doubt at all.. hopefully when we do impliment the protection packages, that blitz sucks and buck completes some deep throws for massive yards or TDs or catches simpson in the flat or behind the rush and away he goes.. 

we coulda been playing rope-a-dope for all we know :D

Burke said that Milanovich told him that they'd be blitzing in scrums days before the game.  You can't win in this league if you can't get pressure with 4 guys, so that front 4 is really who you want to be evaluating.  If you are blitzing lots you aren't going to get a great read on those guys.

Exactly, both coaches had met up and discussed a few of their basic game plans together so it's not like they didn't see the blitzes coming.  Pulling Buck to keep him safe isn't much of a plan.  Teams are going to be gunning for him every game (we saw this last year many times) and the best Burke can do is to prepare for it by keeping Buck in but also keeping him protected.  I get that this was just preseason but once the games start counting I'd rather have Buck focused on putting up numbers not worrying about whether or not he might get another hit.  That fear factor seems to have played a small part in him going 0-5 at the game.

As someone pointed out you play vanilla so teams don't have a library of data to determine schemes and trends. That is exactly why teams with new OCs and DCs do better early in the season. Once that bank of dates has been collected other teams then know how to scheme. The Bombers were proof of that LaPo's first year....great start and then tailed right off because the opponents had analyzed their trends .