Pre-Season Game 1: Argonauts @ Bluebombers - June 12 @ 7Pm Cdt

M.O.A.B.

I like that there seems to be no auto-correct for swearing on this site.  Cool!  Made me spit out my Diet Coke when I read it though.  As for the "marked" comment - not sure what you mean there.  Aren't all QB's 'marked"?  I don't get that.

It's no secret that teams know that Pierce gets hurt a lot and if you knock him out you up your chances of winning. Yeah every qb is marked to an extent, but teams are willing to go farther with known injury cases. Especially teams with a DC like Jones. 

And how would you feel if Jones was the DC in Winnipeg? People always complained about Greg Marshall's none aggressive, vanilla defence when he was DC. Perhaps a reminder of the "heyday" championship defences of the likes of Fox, West, Jones, Battle, Randolph et al would remind us of the success of those teams and the likes of that "style" of player and defence.

The tune seems to change when one is on the favourable side of things.

It's no secret that teams know that Pierce gets hurt a lot and if you knock him out you up your chances of winning. Yeah every qb is marked to an extent, but teams are willing to go farther with known injury cases. Especially teams with a DC like Jones. 

That's right. Every team guns for the QB, but teams are going to be that much more aggressive to try and take Pierce out of the picture. We see other teams a little more willing to risk a roughing penalty to get a solid lick in on Buck. Sure, 15 yards and a first down is a costly penalty any time, but not so much when the payoff is getting to face one of our untested backups. Buck is a marked man, above and beyond any other QB in this league.

Of all the so called good recruiting we have done in recent years?.... I'm not sure when we last head a demon blitzing LB or Safety in Winnipeg.

I wouldn't exactly use last night as the benchmark for what our defense will do pressure wise .. it's preseason .. they keep it vanilla.  Not going to blow your wad in a meaningless tilt against a division rival.

And how would you feel if Jones was the DC in Winnipeg? People always complained about Greg Marshall's none aggressive, vanilla defence when he was DC. Perhaps a reminder of the "heyday" championship defences of the likes of Fox, West, Jones, Battle, Randolph et al would remind us of the success of those teams and the likes of that "style" of player and defence.

The tune seems to change when one is on the favourable side of things.

I'm not saying it's not effective, I'm just calling it like it is. Throw in the shenanigans with Jones going to Toronto in the first place and yeah I'm going to stand by calling him a piece of trash.

Is that the good news or the bad news for Bomber QBs? You design a defensive scheme to put the opposing QBs at a disadvantage. Be it man or zone, match or pressure. That is what pre scouting and video work is all about. How often did Khari not see the MLB drop into a deep zone and throw the pic right to him?

That's right. Every team guns for the QB, but teams are going to be that much more aggressive to try and take Pierce out of the picture. We see other teams a little more willing to risk a roughing penalty to get a solid lick in on Buck. Sure, 15 yards and a first down is a costly penalty any time, but not so much when the payoff is getting to face one of our untested backups. Buck is a marked man, above and beyond any other QB in this league.

And especially in preseason. Teams so rarely blitz in preseason because they want to actually see what their players can do in other situations. The only reason to constantly blitz in preseason is to mess up the other teams qb. It's just a total **** move and it's a big reason why defenses can look like complete crap in preseason but get better as soon as the regular season hits. 

and I should also point out that my frustration isn't even with the Argos, it's the fact that this is just the reality we all have to put up with as Bomber fans since they opted to hitch their wagon to PIerce again. It's frustrating because it's going to happen every week until they finally move on.

One of Cal Murphy's greatest attributes was don't throw plan A until you knew what Plan B was. His downfall, regrettably was his believe that Kent Austin still had an arm when he was clearly done. So came the conclusion of the Murphy era. Are we seeing the same scenario here?

Pierce is done as an effective starting qb, that was painfully obvious last year and it was painfully obvious last night even facing a backup squad. He is too easy to rattle these days just because of the amount of injuries he's had.

Maybe Crowton has some magic up his sleeve for the regular season and he'll rejuvenate Pierce, but I am not holding out hope. The Pierce we got for those first few games in 2010 is long gone and I don't think he's ever coming back. My biggest hope for the season is the Hall or Goltz can step up and take the job. 

Thanks for that. Hearing that Trevor Harris is more cut from the pocket-passer cloth and Zach Collaros is more athletic and able to make something from nothing confirms what we've been seeing and hearing here too. Hadn't heard about Collaros' throwing motion though. Interesting.

It's ironic to think that for the first time in my life, the Argos may actually be developing viable CFL starter QBs... but that they likely won't get to start here.

Harris and Collaros were pretty even stat wise, and yes Harris does have a cleaner throw, and probably looked marginally better.  Harris seems to me though that he wouldn’t be able to establish himself as much if he was blitzed more often.  I could see a different outcome if he was under more pressure, which he clearly wasn’t. 

I’d also say from a strict confidence level, Collaros looked to have the edge between the two.

Wasn't happy seeing the Argos go after Buck so quickly, it's the bloody pre-season. Hall looked decent, but still don't get why everybody(Mike) is so gaga over him, Goltz looked good, just didn't get much reps, Clement doesn't seem to know the system well enough and has issues throwing in the pocket, but running or throwing on the run are his strengths.

Was ecstatic to see Etienne making some grabs.

D looked atrocious, it's still early, but I'm not going to lie I saw Hamilton's 2012 Defense flash before my eyes.

Special teams was meh, and not really a concern of mine, I have fiath in Dicksenson, so better just to keep in mind it's only the pre season. I would hope that the Bombers are trying to groom Pavlopoulos and Cameron to take over all three kicking duties.

Wasn't happy seeing the Argos go after Buck so quickly, it's the bloody pre-season. Hall looked decent, but still don't get why everybody(Mike) is so gaga over him, Goltz looked good, just didn't get much reps, Clement doesn't seem to know the system well enough and has issues throwing in the pocket, but running or throwing on the run are his strengths.

Was ecstatic to see Etienne making some grabs.

D looked atrocious, it's still early, but I'm not going to lie I saw Hamilton's 2012 Defense flash before my eyes.

Special teams was meh, and not really a concern of mine, I have fiath in Dicksenson, so better just to keep in mind it's only the pre season. I would hope that the Bombers are trying to groom Pavlopoulos and Cmeron to take over all three kicking duties.

question is, is casey running Burkes defense or his own?  If its his own then I would chalk it up to pre-season vanilla and evaluation /not showing all the card.s..  if its burkes then same plus getting used to defense on is own right.. 

well your D-Bo-ordinator is apparently a bunt...(I have problems typing the letter "B" )....

be that as it may, when Mack gets canned and the new guy wants to hire his own HC, don't pretend like you wouldn't want Chris Jones in Winnipeg.

As I understand this.....

We are forced to yank our vet starter, after 3 series....because the big bad Argos decided to engage that shocking defensive strategy, known as the "blitz".....and it is their fault for doing it..... because they "shouldn't do it" and/or.... we can't stop it!    Nothing like handing the opposition an advantage on us, both physically and mentally......

The Argos read the paper, featuring Burke's comments...... before the game, and somehow deduce that running a blitz or two, just might be a real good idea.   Hell, if I was them....I sure as hell, would, period.

And then I hear all the whining on OB and other quarters, about it.  If the team has become that paranoid, about Buck....then his usefulness may be coming to a quick end.... 

Pretty weak sauce.......that needs to be replaced with some jam..... 

Did Burke say today that Goltz will play the first half in Guelph, Hall and Clement the second half?  Is it good to start a season with a QB who hasn't completed a pass in pre-season?

that can't be true...  :o