Pre-Season Game 1: Argonauts @ Bluebombers - June 12 @ 7Pm Cdt

M.O.A.B.

Harris looked much better to me.  A guy that has potential to start down the line.  Collaros has a goofy release.  He ***** his arm and then throws, not a smooth motion.  Can see him getting blindsided a lot.  Collaros can run like crazy though, I see him as very similar to Clement.  Has some value as a guy that can come off the bench and give you a chance with his legs.

Thanks for that. Hearing that Trevor Harris is more cut from the pocket-passer cloth and Zach Collaros is more athletic and able to make something from nothing confirms what we've been seeing and hearing here too. Hadn't heard about Collaros' throwing motion though. Interesting.

It's ironic to think that for the first time in my life, the Argos may actually be developing viable CFL starter QBs... but that they likely won't get to start here.

Some "fan/game day experience" observations;

1. Getting to the stadium was an absolute nightmare. NEVER saw traffic this bad anywhere in Winnipeg. Ever. Keep hearing that people knew it would be bad but not this bad. Don't know what can be done about this as there's basically only two ways to get into the U of M campus. Heard Transit riders had it worse with many buses not even showing up at all. Getting out of the stadium was a lot easier than getting in. More organized too because they had police directing traffic at that point. Still a few kinks to work out.

2. Loved the new selection of grub but the concession area was brutal in terms of people waiting in line for food/drinks and those trying to walk around them. Chalk it up to the whole concourse being more narrow than at Canad Inns. Very similar to being at a Jets game now.

3. The food is really good, especially the poutine. It was a 5 minute wait to get a "Torpedo Dog" (which is just a plain hotdog). I'll try it next time. Anyone try this new Blue&Gold/Bold Burger I heard about? Couldn't find it. Nice to see the Rum Hut's back but it's just not the same. Almost looks more "corporate" and fake now. Miss the old shack!

4. Beer selection is awful. Bud or Bud Light. That's it. I realize Budweiser's the sponsor but they need to have at least some variety. Maybe something from the local brews? The premium section/suites had more to choose from though. Speaking of sponsors...

5. Way too many ads splashed all over the place. Loved the two massive scoreboards but because of all the ads plastered on it, the portion of screen dedicated to showing the game and replays (and the score!) was no bigger (maybe even smaller?) than the old Jumbotron. But that's what pays for the place...sigh...

6. Bomber store service was awesome. Staff was polite, friendly and helpful even though the place was packed. Check out counter was fully staffed and they were ringing people through quickly. The little Bomber kiosks in the concourses were great too and very convenient.

7. Not really crazy about the half time show or game day hosts (Power 97). Actually liked Wheeler but he belongs to the Jets now.

8. New Buzz & Boomer! People in our section hated them so much they were actually heckling them. Buzz looks fat (thought they were supposed to be getting in shape?) and Boomer just looks really, really creepy. Oh well, hopefully they don't scare the kids.

9. Cup holders. Enough said. Wait, not true...Pizza Hotline cup holders! Again with the advertising...

And finally...

10. Brand new stadium, same old team!

I took one of the Blue and Gold Express buses from St James... I saw the first bus go by as I was walking to my stop, and it was packed to the ****. Nobody at the next 4-5 stops was getting on that thing. The next bus was fine. I got a seat, and I didn't notice us turning anyone away all the way to the stadium. Perhaps some routes were a little more saturated than others? Whatever the case, traffic was fine til we got to Pembina... lots of cars with 2 or less people in them blocking traffic, sitting in the middle of the intersection, jamming up the long procession of buses trying to get in. We definitely need some cadets directing traffic or something, because as long as there are ******* drivers who think they're time is more valuable than everyone else's, we will experience this again and again.

I left just after the start of the second half. I thought that if it were this crazy getting in, it would be so much worse getting out. I'm a bit surprised to hear things ran smoothly getting out of there. Here's hoping things are sorted out for the next game.

4. Beer selection is awful. Bud or Bud Light. That's it. I realize Budweiser's the sponsor but they need to have at least some variety. Maybe something from the local brews? The premium section/suites had more to choose from though. Speaking of sponsors...

7. Not really crazy about the half time show or game day hosts (Power 97). Actually liked Wheeler but he belongs to the Jets now.

I saw a guy in my section walk out with a Stella, so they must sell them somewhere outside the suites.

I wasn't impressed with the host either, but I'll give him a chance to get better. Thank God it wasn't Carson instead...

- I actually loved the host - I thought he was hilarious. Seriously, pee jugs?! And asking a woman if she were a donut, would she be a Boston Creme?  Add to that the person doing the captioning on the jumbotron got "bonerness" on there somehow, it kept me entertained.

- Upper deck, southwest side was dead.  Word on the street was people on the east were sweating buckets though so, I guess it was worth it.... maybe.

- On field execution was absolutely god awful. Yes, yes, it's preseason, but we had another team fielding even MORE backups and they cleaned up.  Ugh.  Just awful.  

- I missed Buck Pierce... but 0/5??? Really??  Fml.

- I felt less bad about swearing when they left "motherf-er" in a few of the songs.

- They definitely had the speakers set to 11 yesterday... Bass end was good, treble.. not so much.

- Such a gorgeous stadium! 

- Do people honestly feel like only talking about the parking is going to magically make it change overnight?  I parked in Waverley Heights, 20-25 minutes walk and I was there.  No traffic from the spot when I left.  Next time I'd probably bike from the spot, but it wasn't awful.  And for everyone saying they shouldn't have checked passes... can you imagine if they HADN'T and everyone who tried to go in to park would have to turn around??

Yes, oodles of variety. We also got those spiffy beer dispensers that fill from the bottom up, but I only saw them serving Budweiser.

Lady in front of me touched the magnet. Most of the game I spent restraining myself from wanting to touch the magnet.

Didn't get a chance to post last night after the game so I wanted to try and do this now (before my days gets crazy):

* During his extended audition, Max Hall looked like the closest thing we have to a CFL quarterback.  He made quick decisions, got the ball out of his hands quickly and put the ball in spots for his receivers to make plays (the Matthews reception was a beautiful throw).  He doesn't have the strongest arm but he showed he can make the throws asked of him.  There were at least two incompletions last night that I put wholly on the receiver. It was apparent Hall was throwing to a spot and his receiver kept running.

* Clement relies too heavily on his athleticism.  That's not bad, in and of itself, but he needs to demonstrate he can move the ball with his arm.  He *could* have a future but he’s no better than 4th on the depth chart.

* Garrett looked good in his few rushing attempts.  No hesitation.  Ran aggressively and picked up decent yardage in spots.   The running game will be our bread and butter early in the season and I hope Crowton is not afraid to commit to it in order to move the chains.

*  I liked both McCree and Kennedy as returners.  McCree makes quick decisions in traffic and once he gets an edge, he showed he can be dangerous.

* There were a few new guys in the secondary who played their way off the team last night.  Linebacking wasn’t much better either.  Was really impressed with Cauchy’s range and athleticism.  He looks good back there.  West looked more like Logan lite. 

* For all the talk about the hiring of Dickenson being a coup, his special teams let him down.  I realize it was preseason but the fake executed by Toronto was one of the slowest developing plays I’ve seen in awhile and nobody on the Bomber side of the ball even recognized it until Alix was nearing the first down marker. 

Just a couple of things that stood out for me.

photo-14.jpg

photo-15.jpg

photo-16.jpg

Listening to people complaining about the stadium reminds me of living in Vancouver when BC place reopened. Very similar complaints. All were fixed in short order.

Even those about the traffic. Keep in mind that a large chunk of people in line were people who should never have been there. Given some experience, those people in line will learn that they can't drive into the university and it will reduce the number of cars.

The transit people were taking notes, one of which was that the lanes going out of the UofM were empty and some suggested that they use one of them for a bus lane. That will open up traffic.

They need Cadets/Police on Pembina directing traffic. People who weren't going to the stadium were getting blocked at Bison (and I'm assuming UCrescent) It would be smoother if they could get the extra traffic out of there but can't if people driving into the stadium are in the intersection on red lights. It sounds like that was fixed for the ride out. I'm assuming it will be better next game.

The University needs to better advertise to the students that there was a game as quite a few had no idea. If you aren't a Bomber fan, you would have found out if your teacher told you (if they knew) or with the email that was sent out yesterday morning. (if they read the email) There are a large assortment of evening classes and that just adds to the volume. Ideally there would be no Wed/Thursday games but if there are, there needs to be more warning by the University for those who don't follow the Bombers.

As nice as it is that there is a drop off point, that needs to be done at Pembina or a lot on the west side of Pembina(unless it's someone with a disability). Those cars dropping people off are cars that don't need to be enterring the University area.

All of the problems last night can be and likely will be fixed (or at least improved) Will they be for the home opener is an interesting question.

I'm more concerned with the quality of the Bombers last night.

- Do people honestly feel like only talking about the parking is going to magically make it change overnight?  I parked in Waverley Heights, 20-25 minutes walk and I was there.  No traffic from the spot when I left.  Next time I'd probably bike from the spot, but it wasn't awful.  And for everyone saying they shouldn't have checked passes... can you imagine if they HADN'T and everyone who tried to go in to park would have to turn around??

I honestly didn't think parking (at the stadium) was bad at all .. they directed traffic well .. easily found spots.  No problem there.  Getting onto the university was a pain in the rear end and I think part of it lies with people assuming that 30 minute drive they normally take to the U .. would still only be 30 minutes .. that said .. the team, the city and transit really need to act and improve the situation.

One thing I noticed about Hall was that he tends to stare down his receiver. Otherwise I thought he was ok.

I only saw a couple of series for Clement, but questions about his arm strength aren't going to go away. The pick he threw on that deep throw came down flat and basically straight down. I guess on the bright side at least all of this year's qb's can throw a spiral.

I hope Goltz gets at least a half next week. He kinda got screwed on playing time yesterday. I'd like to see he & Hall play the entire game.

- I actually loved the host - I thought he was hilarious. Seriously, pee jugs?! And asking a woman if she were a donut, would she be a Boston Creme?  Add to that the person doing the captioning on the jumbotron got "bonerness" on there somehow, it kept me entertained.

- Upper deck, southwest side was dead.  Word on the street was people on the east were sweating buckets though so, I guess it was worth it.... maybe.

- On field execution was absolutely god awful. Yes, yes, it's preseason, but we had another team fielding even MORE backups and they cleaned up.  Ugh.  Just awful.  

- I missed Buck Pierce... but 0/5??? Really??  Fml.

- I felt less bad about swearing when they left "motherf-er" in a few of the songs.

- They definitely had the speakers set to 11 yesterday... Bass end was good, treble.. not so much.

- Such a gorgeous stadium! 

Better hope they add more parking spots for bikes.  They ran out of those too.

Didn't get a chance to post last night after the game so I wanted to try and do this now (before my days gets crazy):

* During his extended audition, Max Hall looked like the closest thing we have to a CFL quarterback.  He made quick decisions, got the ball out of his hands quickly and put the ball in spots for his receivers to make plays (the Matthews reception was a beautiful throw).  He doesn't have the strongest arm but he showed he can make the throws asked of him.  There were at least two incompletions last night that I put wholly on the receiver. It was apparent Hall was throwing to a spot and his receiver kept running.

Isaac Anderson was the guilty party on both of those. And I agree with what you said, he made a couple of really nice throws. His INT was a bad one though, but I think I'd rather see a DL pick a ball off than a DB if I'm evaluating. That was just a nice show of athleticism by #75 on Toronto.

* Clement relies too heavily on his athleticism.  That's not bad, in and of itself, but he needs to demonstrate he can move the ball with his arm.  He *could* have a future but he’s no better than 4th on the depth chart.

PR or cut is how I see Clement.

* Garrett looked good in his few rushing attempts.  No hesitation.  Ran aggressively and picked up decent yardage in spots.   The running game will be our bread and butter early in the season and I hope Crowton is not afraid to commit to it in order to move the chains.

I didn't really think Garrett was all that impressive to be honest. He looked like he ran hard but the production was so-so.

*  I liked both McCree and Kennedy as returners.  McCree makes quick decisions in traffic and once he gets an edge, he showed he can be dangerous.

What about Massey? Are you maybe confusing Massey with McCree? The only thing noticeable I saw about McCree was how he bobbled the one kickoff.

* There were a few new guys in the secondary who played their way off the team last night.  Linebacking wasn’t much better either.  Was really impressed with Cauchy’s range and athleticism.  He looks good back there.  West looked more like Logan lite.

Desia Dunn, see ya. Pendleton, thanks for coming out. Jeremy McGee? I hope not. Out of the linebackers, I noticed Parker flying around but not doing much else. Maybe a bit late every time. Not necessarily a bad thing, though.

* For all the talk about the hiring of Dickenson being a coup, his special teams let him down.  I realize it was preseason but the fake executed by Toronto was one of the slowest developing plays I’ve seen in awhile and nobody on the Bomber side of the ball even recognized it until Alix was nearing the first down marker.

Especially considering they were told beforehand that a fake was coming. And it was the third quarter, wasn't it? Come on.

For me, my comment regarding Garrett was more to do with his coming back from injury (not necessarily a matter of overall production).  There was no hesitation and he didn't appear to lack any burst .. nor did he shy away from contact.

I'd agree that the pick by Hall was bad .. he simply didn't see the defender drop off ..

Returners .. I could be getting the two mixed up (in retrospect .. I am thinking Massey and his missed FG return).

So what's all this about Argos D trying to pound Pierce and take foot off the gas when he leaves the game ?

Jones has always been a ***** so it's not surprising they'd just try and hammer Pierce, if you take him out in the preseason there's one less team to worry about. 

Also why the bombers SHOULD have moved on from him in the offseason. Can't rely on a guy that is marked.

Jones has always been a ***** so it's not surprising they'd just try and hammer Pierce, if you take him out in the preseason there's one less team to worry about. 

Also why the bombers SHOULD have moved on from him in the offseason. Can't rely on a guy that is marked.

I like that there seems to be no auto-correct for swearing on this site.  Cool!  Made me spit out my Diet Coke when I read it though.  As for the "marked" comment - not sure what you mean there.  Aren't all QB's 'marked"?  I don't get that.