Pre-Season Game 1: Argonauts @ Bluebombers - June 12 @ 7Pm Cdt

M.O.A.B.

...Wpg born and raised, was working in BC (Kelowna?) and got hired to take Wheeler's gig, when he jumped to CITI. Never listened to the kid.

I will say that, as much as I love Kelly Moore (...an old friend...) and don't dislike Jim Toth, this half-time show has been atrocious....yeeeesh......

I always listened to Doug Brown Spin zone, and i much prefer him over zalnosky..

Call it like it is.. The team played like garbage.. which is should.. Its pre-season :) Pretty sure when we play well in preseason we do horrible during the regular season..

I'm just happy its football season!

Yeah, I've never listened to the kid, so I can't even say that I've airchecked him. This summer, when I'm home, I'll try to tune in and break it down. In fairness, he had some shoes to fill....seems to me that Rena Jae chick is the best part of that show, from what I gather. #NotTooShabby

Here are my thoughts ...

-- I missed the first five minutes because of traffic

-- My hamburger had no toppings because they ran out

-- Desia got a quickname nickname from me. Is. As in Desia Is Dunn. Cut him tomorrow, he was horrendous.

-- The best thing McGee did all day was get hurt.

-- Etienne had a couple nice grabs, as did Carter.

-- Hall was by far the best QB and all this talk about how they took Buck out to protect him makes me sick, it`s pretty obvious teams are just going to gun for him until he gets knocked out.

-- Apparently missing five minutes means you don`t see ANY starters, I think the only first unit guy I noticed on the field was Jovon. Maybe Stewart once or twice.

-- Massey and Kennedy both impressed me as returners, McCree can follow Dunn as far as I`m concerned.

-- Wendell Brown was all over the place but still ... how can I honestly try and say ANY linebacker impressed me.

-- David James looked on. And then off. And then on. And then off. Too inconsistent.

-- Marty Markett probably will not make the team but he needs to stick around on the PR. He will be a very good replacement at CB WHEN the time comes, I just dont think that time is now.

-- Marcus Hyde is FAST. JT Gilmore is HUGE. Like both of these guys on the line.

That`s about all I remember for now. Oh yeah. Doug Brown sucks as a radio personality. Maybe he should go commentate a funeral, seems better suited for his personality.

From the radio show they made it seem like Goltz was great in his brief play,  Hall played well.    Lucas and Markett stood out on defense where everyone else was absolute 100% garbage.  

Renaud had a good game as well.  

Burke really hated the play of the 2nd unit of lb'ers... anyone know who that was? Sounds like they are gonzo.

Oh yeah and as good as my actual SEATS are, holy **** is the environment around me AWFUL. I think my section is being sponsored by the River Ridge Nursing Home. The most excitement I saw from other fans was a dude shaking his cane at the field. For real.

West side sucks. Why am I here.

I think Hall showed a lot tonight .. but, overall, the game plan on the Bombers part was pretty vanilla ..

I'd say he showed something. I don't know if it was enough to be called a lot though. I think he beats out goltz in the end though. ie even if they call goltz number 2 to start. when buck gets hurt halk ends up playing sooner rather then later like Elliott last year.

also lucas knifed in for a nice tackle for loss.

Oh yeah and as good as my actual SEATS are, holy **** is the environment around me AWFUL. I think my section is being sponsored by the River Ridge Nursing Home. The most excitement I saw from other fans was a dude shaking his cane at the field. For real.

that ain't good. being surrounded by geriatrics never ends well at a football game..  

Thoughts:

Traffic plan needs work. Our blue n gold express bus was full after the first 2 out of 6 planned stops. Good job getting us out quick after the game though.

I liked Wendell Brown, Marty Markett, and Ryan Lucas on defence. Everyone else sucked royally. Also Anthony Woodson is our second best running back and making a push for number one since Simpson decided it would be a good idea to gain 10 pounds so he could run slower and get less yards per rush. Odd decision but he's the pro I guess?

Offence looked terrible. Pierce goes 0/5 are you kidding me? Maybe they should give some first team reps to their first team qb in practice... Just a thought.

Concessions were unbearably slow. True North pays people to run their concessions, Bombers have volunteers (i.e. seniors from some ridiculous club) running the concessions. Seriously this guy couldn't even read the numbers on the cash register. It was bad. Missed 12 minutes of the third quarter waiting in line... Nice tv's on the columns at least.

Massey looked good returning. Renaud punted 6 out of 8 punts and looked good. Hutchison and Cameron got the other two. So much for evaluation? The job is Renaud's. Palardy looked like Palardy.... Misses ugly ones sometimes but will otherwise do an adequate job... Not that it matters since no one is competing with him for the job.

Overall I thought the team looked awful. Poorly prepared and completely disorganized. The atmosphere sucked because nobody cared and everyone stays in the concourse rather than sitting in their seats. The guy on the mic was AWFUL, oh man did he ever suck... See ya later pal, you win 0 dollars and a lifetime of shame.

I thought Clement looked like he was the better QB out of Hall and himself. Hall looked better in camp but Clement is far more mobile and seemingly just as accurate as Hall when the lights come on. Hall had a LOT of chances to do something and he never did.

Etienne was our leading receiver with 2 catches for 31 yards.

Here are my thoughts ...

-- I missed the first five minutes because of traffic

-- My hamburger had no toppings because they ran out

-- Desia got a quickname nickname from me. Is. As in Desia Is Dunn. Cut him tomorrow, he was horrendous.

-- The best thing McGee did all day was get hurt.

-- Etienne had a couple nice grabs, as did Carter.

-- Hall was by far the best QB and all this talk about how they took Buck out to protect him makes me sick, it`s pretty obvious teams are just going to gun for him until he gets knocked out.

-- Apparently missing five minutes means you don`t see ANY starters, I think the only first unit guy I noticed on the field was Jovon. Maybe Stewart once or twice.

-- Massey and Kennedy both impressed me as returners, McCree can follow Dunn as far as I`m concerned.

-- Wendell Brown was all over the place but still ... how can I honestly try and say ANY linebacker impressed me.

-- David James looked on. And then off. And then on. And then off. Too inconsistent.

-- Marty Markett probably will not make the team but he needs to stick around on the PR. He will be a very good replacement at CB WHEN the time comes, I just dont think that time is now.

-- Marcus Hyde is FAST. JT Gilmore is HUGE. Like both of these guys on the line.

That`s about all I remember for now. Oh yeah. Doug Brown sucks as a radio personality. Maybe he should go commentate a funeral, seems better suited for his personality.

thanks for this.  I agree with most of it from what i heard on radio.. though didn't now our starters were out for the majority of the game.. alot of people are "woe is me, our starters got whoomped on" but if they weren't in then it was bench vs bench..  

What did you think of Parker or was he in the starter category and thusly not played much?  Kinda thought Dunn wasn't anything special. wonder if he is gone before next game.. 

From the radio show they made it seem like Goltz was great in his brief play,  Hall played well.    Lucas and Markett stood out on defense where everyone else was absolute 100% garbage.  

Renaud had a good game as well.  

Burke really hated the play of the 2nd unit of lb'ers... anyone know who that was? Sounds like they are gonzo.

Ian Wild i believe at SAM and i thought Brown at WIL? 

or was it that new kid.. faulcon?

Traffic sucked. Took the bus and walked from Pembina as did most of the bus. Better on the way back.

Hall and Goltz looked ok. Renuad punted well. Thought Cameron kicked well. Frazier looked good. Carter and Etienne both had two nice catches.

Clement needs an apple and a road map. Too many bad plays on D.

Heh, I got forced to the west side as well. It was actually not that bad (though the crowd was definitely a bit older) when the Bombers were making plays (all 2 of them). I think it will be better at the Home Opener.

Bluto, Calleros was much better than Harris.

what in their play gave you that impression? from the statline they were very even...

Collaros: 9-12, 95 yds, 1 TD (TD after taking poss on the Bomber 16 yd line)

Harris: 8-11, 115 yds (lead drives that produced 1 FGA and 1 rushing TD)

Harris looked much better to me.  A guy that has potential to start down the line.  Collaros has a goofy release.  He ***** his arm and then throws, not a smooth motion.  Can see him getting blindsided a lot.  Collaros can run like crazy though, I see him as very similar to Clement.  Has some value as a guy that can come off the bench and give you a chance with his legs.

For us, Clement looked like the most poised QB, but he can't pass from the pocket (even against the Argo cuts), which is a pretty big deficiency.  Goltz showed very little willingness to hang in the pocket and make a throw.  Hall was so-so, but was the only one that had moments of looking like a CFL QB.  Could be a very long year if tonight is any indication.  Hard to say anyone stood out on offence.  Lots of drops, lots of 3 yard passes.

Except for a handful of plays, our DL and LB's were brutal.  I find it hard to judge the DB's because of how badly the front 6 were dominated all night.

I watched most of the game on the jumbotron, because I'm sure as a large % found tonight in our NFL-style stadium for a Canadian field, you can't see a whole lot of the play from a good portion of the seats.  We were spoiled for years with most of our seats between the goal-lines.  We will be moving to the upper deck for next season, and should have been smart enough to start there this season.  One thing that would help me would be if the jumbotron cameras were zoomed out a bit so we could actually see the play.  It is cool that we can see Buck's nose hairs in HD, but I came for a football game.

The issues getting on campus for people driving in to park on campus and with the buses were unbelievable, beyond what the most cynical of the cynics could have imagined.  Personally I'd burn the transportation plan, take what was learned last night and work like dogs for the next 10 days (Bombers, City, Transit) to create an improved plan.  I know of several people who didn't make it to the game because they gave up waiting for a bus at the St. Vital and Assiniboia Downs park and rides and went home.  There will be 5000 more people attending in 2 weeks.  If this can't be solved, this is a major problem for this franchise because the shine on the new park will wear off quickly and it will be hard to sell tickets if it is anywhere near as frustrating to attend games going forward as it was tonight.

Another big problem is the concourse.  Maybe more people were moving around that usual because it was the first game, but they really need to create queues for the concessions.  I was in a beer line that was about 15 wide and 10 deep, total chaos.  No one knew where it started and it was blocking most of the concourse as a result.  Would also be nice to have the screens mounted on the walls opposite the field by the concessions.  A lot of them facing north/south when everyone is facing east or west in line for concessions and can't see the field or that screen.  The people walking can see the field, so they aren't looking at the screen.  As a result, most of the screens were useless.

Ok I somewhat take it back,  Doug mentioning being waked up from a coma wasn't really appropriate.     Kind of sounded whiny and that was unnecessary.

That's exactly what I was talking about. There's nothing wrong with telling listeners that  the game wasn't good as an analyst because that is what he is getting paid to do. But he was starting to get stupid & I mean STUPID on the air. For Doug to start referring to the game as waking up from a coma is just ridiculous. Or Carter's catch as lipstick on a pig?? I don't want hear that. Even Bob irving was sounding exasperated. At one point, Brown made a reference to something Bob had earlier said & Irving says, "I didn't say that!" That's the point when someone should've sent a message to Doug in his headset to shut up. Doug wasn't being an analyst. He was being a jerk. One thing, I didn't hear a lot of why a play worked or not. Just a lot of whining from Brown.

That was me Mike complaining about all those people on the turf. You shoulda come over & said hello. ;)