Which would you rather have?

Which would you rather have?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. As a fan which would you rather have?

• A Poor Record for a few years 3-15 (4-14)
    • Investors Group Field

Which would you rather have?  A poor record for a few years or a brand new state of the art facility to watch football games in?  I know the cost of the stadium isn't directly related to the poor football performance over the last few years but the club likely cut cost in areas that have affected the play on the field.  So would you rather have a playoff team with a winning record and be sitting at Canad Inns still or a crappy team for a few years and a nice stadium?

I can't imagine what person, in any walk of life, anywhere, would prefer to have a terrible team over a brand new stadium.

Would you rather be a millionaire or have cancer?

I guess what i'm asking is......if we had to deal with having a poor football team for a few years while we had some time to pay off the massive debt of the stadium would you prefer that over having a good team and having to live in the old barn?  Personally I can handle the poor football for a few years while making adjustments to balance both.  I just don't think the club can succesfully do both right now.

I voted for the new stadium, but I'm also not convinced these two options are mutually exclusive.  If you can guarantee that there would only be a couple of years of futility for a brand new stadium, then it is a no brainer.

The problem though is that this team has been a bad team for a long time.  The issue is not the stadium, it is the board and how this team is managed.  I've compiled the winnineg percentages of all the teams over the last 5 and 10 years (with this season included):

Last 5 Years:

Calgary 68%

Montreal 62%

BC 56%

Saskatchewan 50%

Hamilton 46%

Toronto 43%

Edmonton 42%

Winnipeg 34%

Last 10 Years:

BC 63%

Montreal 60%

Calgary 59%

Saskatchewan 53%

Toronto 47%

Edmonton 44%

Winnipeg 39%

Hamilton 37%

We have been by far the worst team in the league in the last 5 years.  In the 10 year picture, Hamilton has been worse then us, but not by much.  Players, coaches, GMs, scouts, have all been changed in that time frame.  Only the board is constant.

Sorry to derail your thread, but this team was bad in the old stadium.  The reason we are bad now is not the debt, is not the new stadium.  It is now in the DNA of this team.

Asinine question.  One of the selling point of the new stadium was that it would provide the Bombers with additional revenue so they could finally compete with other teams when it came to players, coaches and management.  It was supposed to help them, not hinder them.  Also, what are you talking about when you say it will take a few years for them to get out from under this debt?  They have to pay off this debt over the course of 45 years!  Things won't suddenly change in a few years.  They will still have to pay $4.5 million in debt obligations every year a few years from now.

Not that I agree that this poll is mutually exclusive, but the debt payment amount is constant.  Therefore in 5 and 10 years, as ticket, concession,  and TV revenues rise due to inflation, the percentage of the Bombers revenues that go to debt repayment will lessen.

So there is a point that the organization will feel more pain in the short term paying for the stadium as opposed to 5 and 10 years from now.

Consider all the coaches and GM's they've been paying not to coach. They've been over spending with poor results

This is exactly it, they've been spending a ton on the coaches and GMs lately, just that they've been paying multiple people while only one does the job. It doesn't save any money to cheap out on hirings. Hire the best people and pay them what it takes and you'll make more money in the long run. 

The two things aren't connected. You might as well ask would you like a beautiful wife or orange juice for breakfast.

BTW: The massive debt is a fact of life for the next 40 years.

what about a beautiful wife or a non crazy wife? are they connected?

You have to try and stay above the line

16717712_500.jpg

Pickles or briefs?

I was thinking "Boxers or take the escalator?"

*If* they were exclusive, I'll take the stadium 11.63568 times out of 10. That said, I still expect improvement, because it's lovely to go sit in the stadium, but it ain't cheap, and I want my time and money to at least entertain me and not give me ulcers.

The circus is beyond frustrating. I've been indifferent to a lot of the hirings and firings over the past several years, but it's getting really hard to stay interested.  The money wasting is obscene.

I want to love my team again.