2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's the players/agents who put those bonuses in there at that time.... to force the team to **** or get off the pot, and allow them to move on to another team if they don't get the bonus. This is what they want. 

Would they really want to be released this late in the off-season though? Teams have already been planning out their FA spending and if they've committed their cap space elsewhere, it lessens where the player can sign & for how much.

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Would they really want to be released this late in the off-season though? Teams have already been planning out their FA spending and if they've committed their cap space elsewhere, it lessens where the player can sign & for how much.

This was a failure of the agent. Bonuses should be due two weeks prior to the tampering window, at the very least. 

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

If it wasn't for the legal tampering period the timing of release would be right as FA opens. That's probably a good time to get released.  So this is only a week late. I'd bet these bonus dates start to coincide with the start of the tampering period. 

12 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

There is months to go before TC. Not that late in the offseason as well. Teams have not committed all their money at this point of the season unless they are fools.

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

There is months to go before TC. Not that late in the offseason as well. Teams have not committed all their money at this point of the season unless they are fools.

Plus, cfl cap only matters at the end 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Plus, cfl cap only matters at the end 

True. If a player is worth picking up a GM will figure it out. I think when we first signed Bighill it was in April or May of the offseason.

Edited by GCn20

24 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

If it wasn't for the legal tampering period the timing of release would be right as FA opens. That's probably a good time to get released.  So this is only a week late. I'd bet these bonus dates start to coincide with the start of the tampering period. 

But the tampering window is there so we can't pretend like it's not.  

15 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Any offers made during the tampering window are binding so looking around at some teams (hello Saskatchewan), they have committed a significant amount already.  I'm not saying teams can't or won't continue to sign guys.  Just from a players point of view, it doesn't strike me as ideal to be looking for a dance partner after the music has already started.

46 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Wonder if Awe's getting a signing bonus or if they'll just put the money towards all the fines he'll rack up this season?

I would like to see Baron here, at the right price.

Clements is 3 years younger, probably less expensive, and more versatile, pass.

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

True. If a player is worth picking up a GM will figure it out. I think when we first signed Bighill it was in April or May of the offseason.

Bighill was a special case, he was still engaged in finding work in the NFL when he made the decision to come back to the CFL permanently.  I think everyone was shocked when the Bombers signed him, especially Sam Hurl.

Just now, bigg jay said:

Clements is a LB while Baron is a DT so I'm not getting the comparison?

Sorry, I was thinking of Bear Woods, he was woody too.

6 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Bighill was a special case, he was still engaged in finding work in the NFL when he made the decision to come back to the CFL permanently.  I think everyone was shocked when the Bombers signed him, especially Sam Hurl.

For sure. Just saying if a player shakes loose in May that can be a difference maker a good GM will carve out the cash to get him.

12 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Any offers made during the tampering window are binding so looking around at some teams (hello Saskatchewan), they have committed a significant amount already.  I'm not saying teams can't or won't continue to sign guys.  Just from a players point of view, it doesn't strike me as ideal to be looking for a dance partner after the music has already started.

No doubt it is not ideal.

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Clements is a LB while Baron is a DT so I'm not getting the comparison?

Woody Baron would be a nice add, but he commands pretty hefty dollars....or at least he did on his last contract. I can't remember what he was making but I remember being shocked at the amount.

Edit: 150k for this season. Pretty expensive for his output. If he wanted to come in here at 120-125k I would hope we would consider it.

Edited by GCn20

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Does Bear Woods even play anymore. Lost track of him.

17 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Ya that's why I said it's a week late

58 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Sam Hurl was constantly surprised- mostly on the field.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

I can not imagine a world where cfl players want to get cut late and be surprise free agents and lose 50-60k. That’s a big chunk of their earnings. 

pass on woody baron imo. Same 3t type smallish dt we’ve let walk this and last off season. Sayles is hands down better than him.  Save the money and bring in import nose tackles. 

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I can not imagine a world where cfl players want to get cut late and be surprise free agents and lose 50-60k. That’s a big chunk of their earnings. 

pass on woody baron imo. Same 3t type smallish dt we’ve let walk this and last off season. Sayles is hands down better than him.  Save the money and bring in import nose tackles. 

Sayles is better and is being compensated well for it too.

9 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I would like to see Baron here, at the right price.

Posters say that here all the time. Just what is the "right price"? You're not a GM nor do you know the financials of the Bombers when it comes to what we have to pay players. Therefore, what you said makes no sense. No offense, but you have no idea what the right price is. None of us do. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Posters say that here all the time. Just what is the "right price"? You're not a GM nor do you know the financials of the Bombers when it comes to what we have to pay players. Therefore, what you said makes no sense. No offense, but you have no idea what the right price is. None of us do. 

You're reading way too much into that.  I said the right price - meaning whatever works for the team.

While I would like to see a proven DT like Baron brought in, I doubt it happens as DT is clearly a spot Walters isn't willing to overpay for since we've let one walk year after year (Stove, Sayles & now Walker).