2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

16 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Depends what you mean by resetting the market, at the time Bighill first signed in 2018 he became the highest paid D- player in the CFL, only to be eclipsed by Jefferson's signing in 2019.  Decent chance Stanley was also the highest paid O-lineman in the league at one time as well.

Probably not as Canadian OL are paid a premium over Americans, which is sad. A guy like Bryant should be much better paid. Especially over some of the interior Canadian O Linemen like Sukh Chungh who for the most part is a pylon when it comes to pass blocking but gets extremely well paid to yell out that old lookout block to Adams. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Probably not as Canadian OL are paid a premium over Americans, which is sad. A guy like Bryant should be much better paid. Especially over some of the interior Canadian O Linemen like Sukh Chungh who for the most part is a pylon when it comes to pass blocking but gets extremely well paid to yell out that old lookout block to Adams. 

An overpaid guard who can only run block on a team that doesn’t run the ball lol 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Could you imagine the outcry if junior leagues across the country opened up their rosters to Americans right across Canada because in order to do what you're suggesting that would be the only way. CFL teams wouldn't spend a penny on funding a developmental league for young American players as the CFL is broke. Canadian kids out of high school looking for a place to play & develop would be the first to be froze out as they can't compete with better trained Americans. Especially on both sides of the LOS. Whether it would be good for the CFL or not, it would never happen. It certainly wouldn't happen at the U Sport level with government funding. I doubt if the Provincial Football Boards as well as Football Canada would sanction it anyway.

They could play each other or they could be a travelling inter squad practice team for cis / juco. 
 You could build the roster with half juco us kids and half Canadians who fall out of junior or college up here even those who age out. Having a pipe line to juco type talent and a development system for candians would be huge. 
 It could be like an expanded practice roster where teams assign guys to it, every one pays equally for it, and any team can claim any guy the team that assigned him just gets the right to activate them or lose them. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

They could play each other or they could be a travelling inter squad practice team for cis / juco. 
 You could build the roster with half juco us kids and half Canadians who fall out of junior or college up here even those who age out. Having a pipe line to juco type talent and a development system for candians would be huge. 
 It could be like an expanded practice roster where teams assign guys to it, every one pays equally for it, and any team can claim any guy the team that assigned him just gets the right to activate them or lose them. 

Would def make sense to be a joint US/Can kid thing who have aged out of school, and former draft picks who got cut in camp, but given a avenue to develop, and still have eyes on them could actually in a yr or 2 make an active roster

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I doubt if Football Canada or the provincial bodies would sanction  something like this so insurance would be very expensive. Senior football used to be very popular in the 1950's & 60's & there was even a national championship but the leagues in Canada all went under because of the cost. I'm not saying what Booch & you are proposing isn't a good idea as it is but we have a huge country & to establish some kind of a league for Canadians & American kids would be very difficult. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I doubt if Football Canada or the provincial bodies would sanction  something like this so insurance would be very expensive. Senior football used to be very popular in the 1950's & 60's & there was even a national championship but the leagues in Canada all went under because of the cost. I'm not saying what Booch & you are proposing isn't a good idea as it is but we have a huge country & to establish some kind of a league for Canadians & American kids would be very difficult. 

You might be right about that, I’m not sure. Honestly it might be far more reasonable to have one or two teams host these guys for regular practices, then have them run combine and rookie camp type stuff in other cities. 
 Maybe it’s literally like a pr contract but with the league and would piggy back on that coverage. 
 Some athletic sanctioning bodies are much harder to work with than others. Man and ont are very tough on combat sports I know for sure.  

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Would def make sense to be a joint US/Can kid thing who have aged out of school, and former draft picks who got cut in camp, but given a avenue to develop, and still have eyes on them could actually in a yr or 2 make an active roster

I feel like a lot cis kids would really benefit from playing younger super athletic imports. It would be such a huge win for the league even if it developed 2-3 nis a year. 

8 hours ago, Booch said:

Well, this all sounds like a massive undertaking and I'm not surprised it hasn't happened, tbh.

Just now, Stickem said:

Sometimes it feels like we're just spinning our tires and stuck in the mud....and that comes from the top

Yup....they need a younger visionary type...who's hip to what's going on in the world now

Have an asst commish who is an older CFL vet to maintain and guide with culture and history to the youngin

Just now, Booch said:

Yup....they need a younger visionary type...who's hip to what's going on in the world now

Have an asst commish who is an older CFL vet to maintain and guide with culture and history to the youngin

Young blood would be like giving us a transfusion and a new life.....but it's hard to get some old croc's to move over

20 minutes ago, Booch said:

God forbid but if Wade ever retired from the Bombers I think he’d make a great commissioner. 

51 minutes ago, Booch said:

Cfl has poor forward thinking and at times focuses on the wrong things

I doubt all of these professional talent evaluators are unaware of JUCO; it’s probably simply the viewpoint that to get to that point they’ve, for a multitude of reasons, have burned through all of their chances. It makes them long shots so resources are mostly spent elsewhere.

Even if you look at our off season recruitment from this off season. Several look to have come from juco, but they fixed what they needed to and transferred to other colleges.

It sounds like you get to know some of these guys personally and know their stories so you have a more intimate view of them. But that doesn’t enter the black and white of a scouting report, I guess.

Edited by Jesse

22 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Depends what you mean by resetting the market, at the time Bighill first signed in 2018 he became the highest paid D- player in the CFL, only to be eclipsed by Jefferson's signing in 2019.  Decent chance Stanley was also the highest paid O-lineman in the league at one time as well.

The implication of resetting the market would be paying a player far more than any player has ever been paid at that position in the past. Otherwise it just market value. Lawler at 300k or Reilly at 700k for instance.

Collaros at 550k, Willie at 200k, Biggie at 200k all had precedent for the salaries. Stan has never been the highest paid OL in the league.

In my mind making the leagues best players the highest paid by a few thousand isn't resetting the market. If we paid BO 175k and made him the leagues highest paid RB that's fair market value. 200-250k..that's resetting the market. Just my own personal definition tho.

Edited by GCn20

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

You might be right about that, I’m not sure. Honestly it might be far more reasonable to have one or two teams host these guys for regular practices, then have them run combine and rookie camp type stuff in other cities. 
 Maybe it’s literally like a pr contract but with the league and would piggy back on that coverage. 
 Some athletic sanctioning bodies are much harder to work with than others. Man and ont are very tough on combat sports I know for sure.  

When my son played JUCO in Northern Cali, he was the only Canadian on the roster. Most of his teammates were black & came from the Hood in LA, San Diego, San Fran, Oakland, San Bernadino, Sacramento,etc. These kids were dirt poor & went to lousy & substandard high schools so their grades were below the standards needed to play in the NCAA.

Most of these kids got horrible SAT scores & could barely finish high school. Their reading comprehension may have been on a Grade 7 level. Don't even talk about math & the sciences. Their socio economic disadvantages were many. Most kids that got into JUCO tried to follow the dream of playing for a 2 year scholarship at a prestigious D1 college to get their NFL shot & that was their only goal. Most, if not all didn't know where Canada was, couldn't name one Canadian city & or even heard of the CFL. Never having being exposed to the CFL growing they didn't know about the opportunities available to them. 

Most didn't want to come to Canada. I guess they want to go back to the Hood with their gang friends & live the lifestyle rather than take a life gamble & give the CFL a shot. Even though life for them is hard, it's all they know outside of football.

I'd be skeptical this would work but having said that, it's at least an idea that is outside the box & we've shown more initiative discussing it than the CFL has done marketing the league or improving scouting in a decade. So, good job at least coming up with ideas to discuss. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Cfl has poor forward thinking and at times focuses on the wrong things

Yeah, its a shame they got rid of off-season mini-camps. I think bringing them back would improve the on field product especially at the start of the season.

Another head scratcher is why they havent brought back CFL week especially since the combine is in Winnipeg this year. Its a great marking opportunity lost for the league.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

I doubt all of these professional talent evaluators are unaware of JUCO; it’s probably simply the viewpoint that to get to that point they’ve, for a multitude of reasons, have burned through all of their chances. It makes them long shots so resources are mostly spent elsewhere.

Even if you look at our off season recruitment from this off season. Several look to have come from juco, but they fixed what they needed to and transferred to other colleges.

It sounds like you get to know some of these guys personally and know their stories so you have a more intimate view of them. But that doesn’t enter the black and white of a scouting report, I guess.

It's more they don't allocate the time or resources to explore it. If they eliminated one free agency camp, and actually attended an event, where some of the top Aged out Juco....Guys who dont meet DIV I thru III requirements, and have nowhere to display talent....even some the guys who have played nothing but semi pro or senior football right outta highschool, they would come away with a buttload of names, or possible camp invites...Why do you think our former guy Rig's was so successful...he, or he would send an associate to things like this...and not so much knowing them on a personal level....but it helps, but more for training them for combines/tryouts as well as getting some legit tryout looks

4 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

God forbid but if Wade ever retired from the Bombers I think he’d make a great commissioner. 

Honestly that’d be great for the league. 

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

remember when the nfl shunned spread offence QBs because it wasn’t viable at the pro level? For like 30+ years. 
 Juco is a risk, and pro scouts do not want to take the risk and neither do teams. Now with the cap on ops it leaves scouting departments spread thinner than ever. It can also be more work up here. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When my son played JUCO in Northern Cali, he was the only Canadian on the roster. Most of his teammates were black & came from the Hood in LA, San Diego, San Fran, Oakland, San Bernadino, Sacramento,etc. These kids were dirt poor & went to lousy & substandard high schools so their grades were below the standards needed to play in the NCAA.

Most of these kids got horrible SAT scores & could barely finish high school. Their reading comprehension may have been on a Grade 7 level. Don't even talk about math & the sciences. Their socio economic disadvantages were many. Most kids that got into JUCO tried to follow the dream of playing for a 2 year scholarship at a prestigious D1 college to get their NFL shot & that was their only goal. Most, if not all didn't know where Canada was, couldn't name one Canadian city & or even heard of the CFL. Never having being exposed to the CFL growing they didn't know about the opportunities available to them. 

Most didn't want to come to Canada. I guess they want to go back to the Hood with their gang friends & live the lifestyle rather than take a life gamble & give the CFL a shot. Even though life for them is hard, it's all they know outside of football.

I'd be skeptical this would work but having said that, it's at least an idea that is outside the box & we've shown more initiative discussing it than the CFL has done marketing the league or improving scouting in a decade. So, good job at least coming up with ideas to discuss. 

A good us pro or semi pro juco alternative would be huge. A lot of the top talents are too talents because they don’t have alternatives including school. 

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Honestly that’d be great for the league. 

remember when the nfl shunned spread offence QBs because it wasn’t viable at the pro level? For like 30+ years. 
 Juco is a risk, and pro scouts do not want to take the risk and neither do teams. Now with the cap on ops it leaves scouting departments spread thinner than ever. It can also be more work up here. 

A good us pro or semi pro juco alternative would be huge. A lot of the top talents are too talents because they don’t have alternatives including school. 

Money, money, money, money. Show me the money.