2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

I bet Brady O is driving a hard bargain ...contract wise AND I bet we're prepared to provide him with a good deal....I would only hope that he lessens his expectations about wanting to set a new benchmark for rb's in the league....Looking at some of the other teams 'stars' taking less to make other signings more palatable for their club, says a lot and runs counter to wanting to set a new benchmark for yourself....Will he remain FIFO or will he move on to secure a more lucrative position ??..His choice and I hope he makes the right decision....that to remain in BlueNGold....We should hear something shortly

Harris checked out of FIFO & the Bombers let him walk. BO is years younger & in a lot better shape while Harris was basically finished as proven by his playing time with the Argos. However, I assume the same thing will happen here which will free up a lot of money to sign others.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I bet Brady O is driving a hard bargain ...contract wise AND I bet we're prepared to provide him with a good deal....I would only hope that he lessens his expectations about wanting to set a new benchmark for rb's in the league....Looking at some of the other teams 'stars' taking less to make other signings more palatable for their club, says a lot and runs counter to wanting to set a new benchmark for yourself....Will he remain FIFO or will he move on to secure a more lucrative position ??..His choice and I hope he makes the right decision....that to remain in BlueNGold....We should hear something shortly

Stanback made about $170k last season and he's maybe the 4th or 5th best RB in the league now, making Brady the top paid RB in CFL history could be accomplished for $180k.  Who is going to offer him more?

yeah...But was maybe Stanback an overpay....and the market got re-set last yr, and 170k is now the gold standard for a top back...I realistically dont expect an offer north of 180k now. The pay structure is shifting and I don't think in the RB's favor...especially if your scouting staff knows what to look for when recruiting a fresh import....there are oodles out there, that you could reload with every few yrs on entry level deals...that could be lights out.

The notion that having a stud Canadian and paying high top dollar to him, cause he is Canadian is a flawed plan...especially if your roster is configured poorly...somewhat Like ours was that you have no viable Canadian to back him up...and if you do, he's being paid well above league minimum too....and is likely a severe drop off.

Also with BO's style of running...where he takes a beating game in and game out is not a sustainable plan for success...It's just not. Love him, for all he gives, and being local, but once, or if his cost becomes too much, the smart move is to offer what doesn't upset our SMS structure, and let him see what else he can get.....but stand pat on a hard offer, and if he chooses to leave over 10..15...25k....c'est la vie

3 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Carey’s gonna give you 6 games at MOP level and either sit/play banged up for the other 12.

As part of a RB committee I think he’d do well here, but not a guy I’d break the bank for

Totally agree. Gotta be a bargain for any one. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

I met Taylor Swift before. She’s quite friendly to be honest. When she comes to Winnipeg, she enjoys the Forks quite a bit. Cuz assuming u mean chilling with T Swift. ;) 

I’ve actually heard that a lot. Couldn’t name a song of hers to save my life but she is one of the biggest performers in the world and not a jlo head case. That’s an achievement. I’m a bit of an ass on a good day with no fame. 
 Zach should live it up. Just like swifts hype has been a windfall for the chiefs Zachs exposure down south is good for us. But for us it’s in terms of recruiting Americans. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why would the Argos do that? Their ratio is set & Ouelette is exactly the same kind of back as Brady. That & the fact he's probably the best known Argo in a cluelesss city when it comes to the CFL doesn't make it smart to change.

Survey says...  Not. A. Chance.

their ratio isn’t set, because they are staring down the hardest off season in their recent history. The ability to flip an extra imp ol would be huge for instance. 

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

I’d bet he’s back on a 200k contract. I don’t think competition exists in the market to drive him up crazy. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

yeah...But was maybe Stanback an overpay....and the market got re-set last yr, and 170k is now the gold standard for a top back...I realistically dont expect an offer north of 180k now. The pay structure is shifting and I don't think in the RB's favor...especially if your scouting staff knows what to look for when recruiting a fresh import....there are oodles out there, that you could reload with every few yrs on entry level deals...that could be lights out.

The notion that having a stud Canadian and paying high top dollar to him, cause he is Canadian is a flawed plan...especially if your roster is configured poorly...somewhat Like ours was that you have no viable Canadian to back him up...and if you do, he's being paid well above league minimum too....and is likely a severe drop off.

Also with BO's style of running...where he takes a beating game in and game out is not a sustainable plan for success...It's just not. Love him, for all he gives, and being local, but once, or if his cost becomes too much, the smart move is to offer what doesn't upset our SMS structure, and let him see what else he can get.....but stand pat on a hard offer, and if he chooses to leave over 10..15...25k....c'est la vie

Stanback was a monster and such a pleasure to watch run the ball pre injury. (Still like him too) but his hands and run blocking were sketch. That made the over pay tougher imo. 
 100% and we really should be splitting Carrie’s this year Brady or not. The value of having a change of pace back is immense as well. 
 If we go deep dive juco, premiere d1 programs benches, and undersized small school backs we can get any thing you could ever want in a back. 
 As a franchise we need to get big value from our next big contracts. We already have a ton of money hard set. A bad deal could screw us in a big way. 

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Stanback made about $170k last season and he's maybe the 4th or 5th best RB in the league now, making Brady the top paid RB in CFL history could be accomplished for $180k.  Who is going to offer him more?

The usual suspects. Ottawa or Edmonton who constantly overpay for free agents. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Stanback was a monster and such a pleasure to watch run the ball pre injury. (Still like him too) but his hands and run blocking were sketch. That made the over pay tougher imo. 
 100% and we really should be splitting Carrie’s this year Brady or not. The value of having a change of pace back is immense as well. 
 If we go deep dive juco, premiere d1 programs benches, and undersized small school backs we can get any thing you could ever want in a back. 
 As a franchise we need to get big value from our next big contracts. We already have a ton of money hard set. A bad deal could screw us in a big way. 

There's former XFL & USFL players now available as well. 

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Totally agree. Gotta be a bargain for any one. 

I’ve actually heard that a lot. Couldn’t name a song of hers to save my life but she is one of the biggest performers in the world and not a jlo head case. That’s an achievement. I’m a bit of an ass on a good day with no fame. 
 Zach should live it up. Just like swifts hype has been a windfall for the chiefs Zachs exposure down south is good for us. But for us it’s in terms of recruiting Americans. 

their ratio isn’t set, because they are staring down the hardest off season in their recent history. The ability to flip an extra imp ol would be huge for instance. 

I’d bet he’s back on a 200k contract. I don’t think competition exists in the market to drive him up crazy. 

Two hundred thousand is too much. Let him walk & we'll see what the market brings. By all means, Walters sgould present him with a contract but as a take it or leave it offer.

I can't think of a single instance where a championship calibre team reset the market for any position. There is a reason for that, it's a desperation move. If BO wants to reset the market it will almost certainly have to be on a crap team. If the Bombers pay a RB 200k I would be shocked and quite disappointed frankly.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Toronto apparently does not want to pay Oullette $170,000. Carey just got cut and Calgary is paying 2 other guys. Brady might find out $170,000 is the best offer.

RBs in every pro football league come away miffed at why they are the lowest paid skill position. It's just the reality.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The usual suspects. Ottawa or Edmonton who constantly overpay for free agents. 

There's former XFL & USFL players now available as well. 

Two hundred thousand is too much. Let him walk & we'll see what the market brings. By all means, Walters sgould present him with a contract but as a take it or leave it offer.

The Elks have Kevin Brown on an ELC, he was #2 behind Brady in rushing yards.  If any teams are interested in Brady, I suspect it would be BC, Sask. or Ottawa, but for the numbers he's looking for it makes little economic sense for any of those teams.

10 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

The Elks have Kevin Brown on an ELC, he was #2 behind Brady in rushing yards.  If any teams are interested in Brady, I suspect it would be BC, Sask. or Ottawa, but for the numbers he's looking for it makes little economic sense for any of those teams.

So Kevin Brown has already been in the league 2 years but he's not listed as a FA. He must have signed a new deal at some point. 

16 hours ago, wbbfan said:

So many JUCO guys....who are behind 8 ball for both NFL and CFL opps.....we work with tons in Cali, to get them pro day opps....get contacts for them for Div II....and Div III schools, even interest in Europe....I see guys all time we work with who could be all-stars up here....sadly many don't have paperwork in order to get up here, or to Europe....moreso from coming from rough back grounds, or poor back grounds....or just from not being known since they aged out of highschool and then didnt get an opp anywhere.

When Rig's was here we had exchanged names of guys....some guys were seriously looked at...and ended up here in the CFL in some instances...Our current regime tho since he left back for B.C seems to be dropping ball on that super deep pool

23 hours ago, bluto said:

Consider how any of these names could make an impact for virtually any other team:

Bede. Brissett. Coxie. Daniel. Hendrix. Jones. Leake. Oakman. Ouellette. Peters. Pickett. Richards. Tate.

One of these things is not like the others. Richards is not making an impact for any team. He's still, four seasons into his career, far from being ready to play.

16 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I can't think of a single instance where a championship calibre team reset the market for any position. There is a reason for that, it's a desperation move. If BO wants to reset the market it will almost certainly have to be on a crap team. If the Bombers pay a RB 200k I would be shocked and quite disappointed frankly.

No. But Winnipeg does have the highest paid QB. I'm guessing some of our OL (pre-haircut) have been right up there.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

So many JUCO guys....who are behind 8 ball for both NFL and CFL opps.....we work with tons in Cali, to get them pro day opps....get contacts for them for Div II....and Div III schools, even interest in Europe....I see guys all time we work with who could be all-stars up here....sadly many don't have paperwork in order to get up here, or to Europe....moreso from coming from rough back grounds, or poor back grounds....or just from not being known since they aged out of highschool and then didnt get an opp anywhere.

When Rig's was here we had exchanged names of guys....some guys were seriously looked at...and ended up here in the CFL in some instances...Our current regime tho since he left back for B.C seems to be dropping ball on that super deep pool

If the league went to the govt with a plan to bring up troubled juco kids and give them a chance to turn their life around they could make it work with out question. A lot of people get passes going both ways for all kinds of legal trouble so they can work. Might be on a 1 strike system, and might have to bring a list of kids each year but this happens all the time. 
 With the nfl expanding prs, and taking smaller guys, and taking spread guys now plus the spring league, the cfl really needs to tap new fertile scouting ground and juco is a huge opportunity. If the xfl 4.0 taps that the cfl could be in trouble long term. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

No. But Winnipeg does have the highest paid QB. I'm guessing some of our OL (pre-haircut) have been right up there.

Sure. Fair market value. But we never reset the market. I'm certainly not suggesting that we don't pay handsomely for players. What we don't do is hand out contracts that drive the whole position price up league wide.

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sure. Fair market value. But we never reset the market.

Maybe big Stan but doubt kolo neuf Dobson Eli grey hardick were top 5 or 10. Of those I’d suspect maybe neufeld after Stan. cdn vet factor there. 

Hardrick seems like he’s retiring. My guess. Richmond takes his spot. 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Goalie said:

Maybe big Stan but doubt kolo neuf Dobson Eli grey hardick were top 5. 

Stan deserves every penny. Pretty tough to argue that..and according to 3DN he was barely top 5.

It is my opinion that if Stan had gone to FA at any point and someone offered him 300k we would not have matched.

22 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You bet. Zach's having a good time & good on him. Could you imagine if an entertainer like Swift was dating a CFL player? The popularity of the league & the eyes on it would explode. The CFL can only wish for the kind of coverage Taylor Swift would give them.

Which brings up another question, why doesn't the CFL try to reach out to entertainers & actors to come to their games to be seen & heard? The league has no clue how to do anything to get the crowds back & interest up. Every year, the same damn thing...

What, you don't think that having Fred Penner at an occasional game isn't a big deal?

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

If the league went to the govt with a plan to bring up troubled juco kids and give them a chance to turn their life around they could make it work with out question. A lot of people get passes going both ways for all kinds of legal trouble so they can work. Might be on a 1 strike system, and might have to bring a list of kids each year but this happens all the time. 
 With the nfl expanding prs, and taking smaller guys, and taking spread guys now plus the spring league, the cfl really needs to tap new fertile scouting ground and juco is a huge opportunity. If the xfl 4.0 taps that the cfl could be in trouble long term. 

Definitely....even a league sponsored development roster...guys training ...playing mock games...it's definitely something that would make sense and get oodles of talent infused into the league 

A lot of these young men are victim of circumstances and poverty and didn't have the ways and means to go to school...or get documents to travel...not necessarily criminal issues...or guys who never completed their secondary education so couldn't attend big time schools even tho had more than enough talent

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

Definitely....even a league sponsored development roster...guys training ...playing mock games...it's definitely something that would make sense and get oodles of talent infused into the league 

A lot of these young men are victim of circumstances and poverty and didn't have the ways and means to go to school...or get documents to travel...not necessarily criminal issues...or guys who never completed their secondary education so couldn't attend big time schools even tho had more than enough talent

Could you imagine the outcry if junior leagues across the country opened up their rosters to Americans right across Canada because in order to do what you're suggesting that would be the only way. CFL teams wouldn't spend a penny on funding a developmental league for young American players as the CFL is broke. Canadian kids out of high school looking for a place to play & develop would be the first to be froze out as they can't compete with better trained Americans. Especially on both sides of the LOS. Whether it would be good for the CFL or not, it would never happen. It certainly wouldn't happen at the U Sport level with government funding. I doubt if the Provincial Football Boards as well as Football Canada would sanction it anyway.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Sure. Fair market value. But we never reset the market. I'm certainly not suggesting that we don't pay handsomely for players. What we don't do is hand out contracts that drive the whole position price up league wide.

Depends what you mean by resetting the market, at the time Bighill first signed in 2018 he became the highest paid D- player in the CFL, only to be eclipsed by Jefferson's signing in 2019.  Decent chance Stanley was also the highest paid O-lineman in the league at one time as well.