2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

2 hours ago, Doublezero said:

That description also fits Schoen to a T.

I don't know if this has been discussed much but Schoen took some massive hits last season - dramatic, nasty hits - catching balls that were thrown late, and seemingly off target by Zach Collaros. I say "seemingly" because you never know 100% when the timing is off a little, whether the problem is with the QB or receiver. But it was clear last season that Zach was taking too long to process where to deliver the ball. Contrast that with Dru Brown who was able to get the ball off quicker. So Collaros ended up  scampering around and made risky throws. Receivers really have to make a play on many of those types of balls. Would not be surprised if Schoen got fed up with getting hit so hard and often, TBH. Of course it goes with the territory, to a degree. But I could see him going somewhere where the QB gets rid of the ball quicker.

A lot off scrambles though, right?  And teams are rolling coverage on him so there's guys nearby below and above.  

Schoen's averages are higher with Lawler last season, and his games with Brown are well below his average.

I think his connection with Collaros will probably keep him here really.  

I could see Bailey and BOLO following Brown.  I'm just not sure anyone will commit to Bailey being more than a 3-4 type receiver.

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

A lot off scrambles though, right?  And teams are rolling coverage on him so there's guys nearby below and above.  

Schoen's averages are higher with Lawler last season, and his games with Brown are well below his average.

I could see Bailey and BOLO following Brown.  I'm just not sure anyone will commit to Bailey being more than a 3-4 type receiver.

The difference between have one guy like lawler/schoen and having 2 is gigantic. Lawler and schoen both worked off each other really well last year. Lawler came in and played like his hair was on fire then teams shifted to him and schoen took over with all those tds and yards before getting hurt. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The difference between have one guy like lawler/schoen and having 2 is gigantic. Lawler and schoen both worked off each other really well last year. Lawler came in and played like his hair was on fire then teams shifted to him and schoen took over with all those tds and yards before getting hurt. 

They gotta work on screen game and other quick stuff this year.  Lawler is great at it.  Will absolutely bind defenses in combination with their and Demski's ability to get downfield too.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

They gotta work on screen game and other quick stuff this year.  Lawler is great at it.  Will absolutely bind defenses in combination with their and Demski's ability to get downfield too.

100%. The offence can evolve a lot in terms of useage for both them and Demski with route concepts and packages. The chiefs and dolphins do a great job of using guys like that. 

41 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

thats why if we landed a Payton Logan in FA....or a rookie clone in lieu of BO if he gonna hold us hostage where we would excell in the screen game...guys like that...get a small hole...or get edge outside with the explosive speed are eating up huge yards....we have lacked that aspect and at times it has hurt us when our deep to intermediate game was off...or taken away and we had no answer to it

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Ottawa already has Justin Hardy, who cracked 1,000 yds. last season and plays a gritty style similar to Bailey.

Walters is going to grab him, we'll bemoan it, and he'll kill it here like Kolankowski did. 

Then, O'Day signs him next year to an inflated contract, and he fails again. 

Edited by JCon

Just now, Noeller said:

Kolankowski "killed it" here? 

From where he came from to where he's at now, you could say he is (relatively speaking of course). 

He was a 6th round draft pick, who was out of football for 2 years and then had to drive down to one of our FA tryouts just to get a look.  That screams TCF but he's made the most out of his opportunity here.

alright, so based on the lowest of possible expectations.....the fact that he was mediocre is killing it compared to what we'd initially thought. I can understand that. 

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

alright, so based on the lowest of possible expectations.....the fact that he was mediocre is killing it compared to what we'd initially thought. I can understand that. 

He was not mediocre. He was, at the very least, average. And average was good enough to get us to back to back Grey Cups. Not everyone is an all-star. He was a stopgap, but he came in with zero expectations and was cheap, which allowed us to push salaries elsewhere. 

I don’t think we bring in any vet ni ol from fa. Rookies for depth beyond what we keep. 
 I’d actually take bladek over kola, the only guy with less mobility than kola is Thomas. That said, Dobson Eli and gray would be miles ahead of bladek. 
 I respect kola for his effort and toughness, he over achieved a lot and was enabled by our ol and the sheer fact he was a centre. He’s the worst ol we’ve had in a long long time. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/19/east-west-shrine-bowl-will-not-invite-u-sports-prospect-for-first-time-since-1985/

Kinda sad news, the east west bowl is no longer inviting cis players. The writing was on the wall going down from 2 - 1 which was nonsensical enough. 

I think that the selections of Canadians were political anyway. Not always the best U Sport players went down for the game. Besides, why should an American Senior Bowl promote Canadian players over Americans? 

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I don’t think we bring in any vet ni ol from fa. Rookies for depth beyond what we keep. 
 I’d actually take bladek over kola, the only guy with less mobility than kola is Thomas. That said, Dobson Eli and gray would be miles ahead of bladek. 
 I respect kola for his effort and toughness, he over achieved a lot and was enabled by our ol and the sheer fact he was a centre. He’s the worst ol we’ve had in a long long time. 

Bladek would be an upgrade over who we have now. He certainly would add more depth to our OL position.

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think that the selections of Canadians were political anyway. Not always the best U Sport players went down for the game. Besides, why should an American Senior Bowl promote Canadian players over Americans? 

Bladek would be an upgrade over who we have now. He certainly would add more depth to our OL position.

The east west game is about creating a showcase for guys who need the opportunity and haven’t gotten the visibility their talent deserves. 

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Agreed, though regardless of how we rate him on here, Bladek will command a big salary. 
I don’t think we could afford him here unless we lose a lot more guys than planned 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Agreed, though regardless of how we rate him on here, Bladek will command a big salary. 
I don’t think we could afford him here unless we lose a lot more guys than planned 

Bladek wouldn't be an upgrade over anyone we have now...Maybe Machino and Kolo if we resigned him but doubt we do...

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

Bladek wouldn't be an upgrade over anyone we have now...Maybe Machino and Kolo if we resigned him but doubt we do...

That’s what I mean. I wouldn’t want him here other than depth. 
I think someone’s going to overpay and start him for sure. So many teams with trash OL’s. Sask most notably. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

That’s what I mean. I wouldn’t want him here other than depth. 
I think someone’s going to overpay and start him for sure. So many teams with trash OL’s. Sask most notably. 

I’ll also add that the Ontario teams really seem to cycle ol between each other a lot. He could end up in ott or ham as well as ssk. But I’m sure ssk will offer the most money lol.