2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

14 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sure he will accommodate. Question is how much does that accommodation hurt his production and over all effectiveness.

Severely.

I'm talking about Montreal's desire for him - not the best place for his individual production.

He's going to do his own personal cost/benefit of individual production/salary/living expenses/etc.

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Severely.

I'm talking about Montreal's desire for him - not the best place for his individual production.

He's going to do his own personal cost/benefit of individual production/salary/living expenses/etc.

I hear ya, but certainly Montreal is keenly aware of who Dalton Schoen is and what his main strength is and are keenly aware of what Cody Fajardo's flaw fatale is. Knowing that do you go out and pay Schoen 250-300k when you know he isn't really a great fit with your QB?

16 minutes ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

Ottawa is going all out for 2024.

If by all out you mean making totally necessary changes to their roster...then yup...they sure are.

Just now, GCn20 said:

I hear ya, but certainly Montreal is keenly aware of who Dalton Schoen is and what his main strength is and are keenly aware of what Cody Fajardo's flaw fatale is. Knowing that do you go out and pay Schoen 250-300k when you know he isn't really a great fit with your QB?

IMO, he's a great fit. We disagree on that point.

Hopefully, its a moot point and he's about to re-sign with us. 

15 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Not saying Schoen wouldn't be productive with Fajardo. He is probably still a 1000 yard guy with him. Just saying that he likely doesn't earn the 250-300k he will be paid through no fault of his own whatsoever. He will run the best routes and beat DBs but Faj will over/under throw him.

16 minutes ago, Jesse said:

The Als also pay Natl. receiver Kaion Julien-Grant around $170k, so they might not be interested in pursuing Schoen. 

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

The Als also pay Natl. receiver Kaion Julien-Grant around $170k, so they might not be interested in pursuing Schoen. 

And we pay Kenny, and Demski, and still want to sign Schoen. Teams can afford multiple high end receiving contracts.  

48 minutes ago, Jesse said:

And we pay Kenny, and Demski, and still want to sign Schoen. Teams can afford multiple high end receiving contracts.  

Certainly at the going rate for top end receivers, but Lawler and Lewis salaries are anomalies that a lot of GM's are not going to accept willingly.

14 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Certainly at the going rate for top end receivers, but Lawler and Lewis salaries are anomalies that a lot of GM's are not going to accept willingly.

I agree. There is a ton of risk to contracts that big.

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

IA guy who can still make the catch on a very poorly thrown ball. 

That description also fits Schoen to a T.

I don't know if this has been discussed much but Schoen took some massive hits last season - dramatic, nasty hits - catching balls that were thrown late, and seemingly off target by Zach Collaros. I say "seemingly" because you never know 100% when the timing is off a little, whether the problem is with the QB or receiver. But it was clear last season that Zach was taking too long to process where to deliver the ball. Contrast that with Dru Brown who was able to get the ball off quicker. So Collaros ended up  scampering around and made risky throws. Receivers really have to make a play on many of those types of balls. Would not be surprised if Schoen got fed up with getting hit so hard and often, TBH. Of course it goes with the territory, to a degree. But I could see him going somewhere where the QB gets rid of the ball quicker.

5 hours ago, johnzo said:

of course Bruce IV was a Chris Jones signing. 

No doubt. It’s kind of sad it took the league this long. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

That's an interesting development. 

I'll take Wieneke here, especially if we can't re-sign Schoen. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Wieneke might need to sign a 1 year prove it wasn't him deal,   he will be a good value depth receiver for whoever signs him.   

If happily take him to camp on a league min deal.