2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

17 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I get it....but gross.

Yeah. safety over aesthetics is understandable. I worry that better helmets and guardian helmets are not the answer to the problem. Plenty of offensive players already use their helmet like a weapon. Is a defensive player going to be called if that thing is the first point of contact? How hard would it be to tackle a qb with one on legally? 

I can\'t see any player wearing one in game to be honest...it one thing with no contact these days in practice...game is totally different, and in scrums...big collisions etc....do they come flying off?...get re-arranged on a guys helmet and block his sight?...will they be litterd all over field much like a helmet now...and need to be put back on..delaying a game or having a guy have to come off?....

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

I can\'t see any player wearing one in game to be honest...it one thing with no contact these days in practice...game is totally different, and in scrums...big collisions etc....do they come flying off?...get re-arranged on a guys helmet and block his sight?...will they be litterd all over field much like a helmet now...and need to be put back on..delaying a game or having a guy have to come off?....

I could see some Olinemen doing it but other than that, doubtful 

54 minutes ago, Booch said:

The practice thing I could see, safety and all that....but game time??? just doesn't seem practicable....Looks like someone with a bee hive on their head...which could pose another problem if there is a swarm in the area....

20 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I could see some Olinemen doing it but other than that, doubtful 

yeah....that I could see...and that could be a real reach

Guardian caps are a quick fix for the real problem in pro football: players lacking basic tackling skills. Instead of focusing on proper technique (Square up and wrap, head behind the tackle, drive thru the contact, etc) and penalizing dangerous tackle form, the leagues rely on advanced gear to prevent injuries. This leads to players thinking tackling is just about throwing themselves at opponents like a bowling ball, rather than using proper form. It's a farce of safety theatre

19 hours ago, Booch said:

Not to mention they look stupid.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

wear your mouthguard...thatalone will mitigate many concussions 

It will certainly help. It won't prevent them as much as the guardian cap would.

Just now, JCon said:

It will certainly help. It won't prevent them as much as the guardian cap would.

thing is....its not just head shots that can cause a concussion...it's the abrupt stopping of a body...so a guardian cap does nothing for that....a sudden jarring of the body with zero head contact probably causes as many if not more concussions

I've had 6 confirmed concussions....1 was a head shot....

Edited by Booch

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

thing is....its not just head shots that can cause a concussion...it's the abrupt stopping of a body...so a guardian cap does nothing for that....a sudden jarring of the body with zero head contact probably causes as many if not more concussions

I've had 6 confirmed concussions....1 was a head shot....

Yup. Everything helps. 

33 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yup. Everything helps. 

Football players would have to inject foam directly into their brain cavity so it doesn't slosh about on contact, adding more protection directly to the outside is putting more lipstick on a pig and does little to increase protection.  Airbags work because they dissipate the energy of a collision over a larger area and reduce the acceleration of the body, the second factor being the most important. 

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Football players would have to inject foam directly into their brain cavity so it doesn't slosh about on contact, adding more protection directly to the outside is putting more lipstick on a pig and does little to increase protection.  Airbags work because they dissipate the energy of a collision over a larger area and reduce the acceleration of the body, the second factor being the most important. 

That's exactly what the guardian helmet does. Literally what it is designed for. 

Just now, JCon said:

That's exactly what the guardian helmet does. Literally what it is designed for. 

doesn't stop the brain smashing into the skull when the body is stopped cold....thats where the brain injuries occur...so a guardian cap does nothing for that other than look dumb...Like I said...a good majority of concussions are not head impacts..they are sudden abrubt deceleration....and whip lash effects where the brain flaoting freely in the fluid inside the skull smashes around inside it....Guardian caps will spread out impact on the hemet, preventing some concussions...but thats about it....if you truly wanna limit or eliminate a chance for a concussion you need to have football played at a brisk walking pace...and thats it....and we all know that not happening

1 hour ago, Booch said:

wear your mouthguard...thatalone will mitigate many concussions 

For sure. 

I got no issues with any player who makes the conscious decision to protect themselves against brain injuries. I just wish they could make them look a little better.

55 minutes ago, Booch said:

doesn't stop the brain smashing into the skull when the body is stopped cold....thats where the brain injuries occur...so a guardian cap does nothing for that other than look dumb...Like I said...a good majority of concussions are not head impacts..they are sudden abrubt deceleration....and whip lash effects where the brain flaoting freely in the fluid inside the skull smashes around inside it....Guardian caps will spread out impact on the hemet, preventing some concussions...but thats about it....if you truly wanna limit or eliminate a chance for a concussion you need to have football played at a brisk walking pace...and thats it....and we all know that not happening

roll your eyes all you want....those are facts

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

roll your eyes all you want....those are facts

Saying the guardian cap does nothing is not a fact. That's an opinion not based in fact. 

I get that people don't like the looks of it, but that's a pretty immature reason not use it. 

Just now, JCon said:

Saying the guardian cap does nothing is not a fact. That's an opinion not based in fact. 

I get that people don't like the looks of it, but that's a pretty immature reason not use it. 

does nothing to prevent the brain smashing inside the skull from a violent hit stopping the body cold...or causing a whip lash....read before yapping,,I said will spread out impact of a head shot...but thats about it...only a portion of what causes a concussion

Edited by Booch

18 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Why wear helmets at all then?

He asked facetiously

yes it sure worked fine in the days of Teddy Roosevelt - back when men were men and took their head shots without complaining....or without helmets on...I still can't believe that there was a time in the NHL when not only players didn't wear helmets but goalies didn't wear masks.  Just one of the many things I look back in history and ask "what were they thinking"....

In 1905, President Theodore Roosevelt - an avowed football fan - summoned coaches and athletic advisers from Harvard University, Yale University and Princeton University to the White House to discuss how to improve the game of football, "especially by reducing the element of brutality in play," The Washington Post wrote in an Oct. 10, 1905 article.

The changes inspired in part by Roosevelt were the first steps in a long line of reforms to make football safer.

Football at the time was particularly dangerous and violent. In 1905 alone, at least 18 people died and more than 150 were injured playing football. According to the Washington Post, at least 45 football players died from 1900 to October 1905, many from internal injuries, broken necks, concussions or broken backs.

How Teddy Roosevelt helped save football - The Washington Post

Edited by kelownabomberfan

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yes it sure worked fine in the days of Teddy Roosevelt - back when men were men and took their head shots without complaining....or without helmets on...I still can't believe that there was a time in the NHL when not only players didn't wear helmets but goalies didn't wear masks.  Just one of the many things I look back in history and ask "what were they thinking"....

The flying wedge formation was also banned in 1894 because of the number of deaths it caused, pretty amazing they were considering outlawing football over a hundred years ago.

Are there any NHL hockey players currently wearing the full faced shields or cages?  What are they thinking???

3 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

The flying wedge formation was also banned in 1894 because of the number of deaths it caused, pretty amazing they were considering outlawing football over a hundred years ago.

Are there any NHL hockey players currently wearing the full faced shields or cages?  What are they thinking???

NHL players coming in to the league now must wear visors so kinda. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I think if you re-read what he posted you'll see that it does make sense. The cap helps, but it does nothing for sudden stops/impacts which make the head (and therefore brain) whip back and forth.