2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Walters has a mind of his own and they make these decisions in tandem. He had a good interview with Donavan Bennett a week or so ago and stated that he has final say over the roster and has and will use it. He listens to the coaching staffs opinions and then goes from there and decides how they fit into his SMS or if they will fit into his SMS. He said that the coaches trust the scouting pipeline and if a deal can't be worked out with a player the coaches would like to have that they trust the process of how he decides on that.

One critical part of that interview you didn't mention was how they balance the culture of the dressing room between character and talent.  Walters provides a great explanation of how O'Shea is more in on the character of players and the scouts are all in on talent, with himself leaning to the side of character.  This could explain why a highly disciplined navy seal became an important part of the team and the retention of a vet like Jake Thomas was more than likely.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Booch said:

doesnt have to be a rookie.....but a younger player with upside...and we already have that Schmeckle guy...and the other one coming back with Last name starting with S....no need for jake....I get it..he a vet ...blah blah blah....but he is easily replaced...has no use on any teams, and is for a lack of a better word...just in the way now...

I get what you're saying. I'm going to disagree because it seems like we're going to be seeing quite a shift in the roster this year. We are going to see some vets either walk away of be moved on form and we're going to see a lot of younger guys (or FAs) come in to replace those guys. The shift is happening.

So having Jake in the room at a lower salary. I don't think that's going to get in anyone's way. He'll have his leadership/locker room vet hat on. MOS will undoubtedly use him to to talk about the way things used to be and how far we've come. His NAT status keeps him out of the way of any young import we may have coming in, and Lawson has already assumed the mantle of the other starter. 

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm wondering if they've talked to Mason Bennett representative already and found out he wasn't coming to Wpg so they figured Jake is better than what else is out there....??

Thomas has nothing to do with us reaching out to the Canadian DE's like Bennett and Kongbo.

8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I get what you're saying. I'm going to disagree because it seems like we're going to be seeing quite a shift in the roster this year. We are going to see some vets either walk away of be moved on form and we're going to see a lot of younger guys (or FAs) come in to replace those guys. The shift is happening.

So having Jake in the room at a lower salary. I don't think that's going to get in anyone's way. He'll have his leadership/locker room vet hat on. MOS will undoubtedly use him to to talk about the way things used to be and how far we've come. His NAT status keeps him out of the way of any young import we may have coming in, and Lawson has already assumed the mantle of the other starter. 

Thomas has nothing to do with us reaching out to the Canadian DE's like Bennett and Kongbo.

we have enough leaders....and he's taking reps....important reps from development of younger talent....or the actual roster spot of an up and comer....thats my issue....I sure Collaros..WJ...Woli...Bryant...Demski...Nichols...Lawler...Neuf....Biggie..I could go on.....is more than ample leadership....We have enough Chef in the kitchen on both sides of the ball

Just now, Geebrr said:

It isn’t worth being this worked up about it. 

Meh, we're just talking.

I get booch's point. At this point in Jake's career, it wouldn't be super harmful to move on and replace with a younger player. But I'm also ok with keeping vet's around if they accept the reduced pay/playtime - as long as there's a balance and you're not hanging on to too many vets or depending on too many inexperienced players for reps.

And that's what I think this is. Maintaining a balance.

18 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

It isn’t worth being this worked up about it. 

not worked up....just parlaying my point how it surely shouldnt have been a priority signing...and just stagnates the roster....again

7 minutes ago, BBlink said:

If it's a reasonable salary and he's backing up Lawson then I'm fine with it. He's still a decent Canadian player

time to move away from decent...and ok....to next level, or the heir to be a next level...mediocrity and a handful of "just decent" guys on roster hasn't produced lately....and don't throw reg season record out there as a yeah but...well balanced and deep rosters, not wiped out from the season has beat us last 2 grey cups....with lesser records...Thats what won us Grey Cups the 2 yrs in a row...clinging and not moving on from some of that balance and deepness, with new...younger...hungrier bodies hasn't panned out....and we still clinging to some it seems....I sure we may purge a few....but are they they right ones to purge....and are we keeping some who should have been in the purge?

58 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Mason is a DT, no? Kongbo rotates along the line. 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

not worked up....just parlaying my point how it surely shouldnt have been a priority signing...and just stagnates the roster....again

time to move away from decent...and ok....to next level, or the heir to be a next level...mediocrity and a handful of "just decent" guys on roster hasn't produced lately....and don't throw reg season record out there as a yeah but...well balanced and deep rosters, not wiped out from the season has beat us last 2 grey cups....with lesser records...Thats what won us Grey Cups the 2 yrs in a row...clinging and not moving on from some of that balance and deepness, with new...younger...hungrier bodies hasn't panned out....and we still clinging to some it seems....I sure we may purge a few....but are they they right ones to purge....and are we keeping some who should have been in the purge?

If we are matching pound for pound backup Canadian DT with other teams in the league, is Jake Thomas really the issue? I think there was some issue with the amount of reps he got last year. I can't imagine that he signed on this year to be the starter. But his passport and his ability to play at a veteran level is valuable.

The way I look at it is Lawson is going to be the Canadian on the line and we will get good value from Thomas. We could be looking at bringing kongbo back to rotate which may leave Thomas as the third.

Im all for moving on from Americans because the pool of talent to replace them is vast. Dumping Canadians who can still play... 

4 minutes ago, BBlink said:

If we are matching pound for pound backup Canadian DT with other teams in the league, is Jake Thomas really the issue? I think there was some issue with the amount of reps he got last year. I can't imagine that he signed on this year to be the starter. But his passport and his ability to play at a veteran level is valuable.

The way I look at it is Lawson is going to be the Canadian on the line and we will get good value from Thomas. We could be looking at bringing kongbo back to rotate which may leave Thomas as the third.

Im all for moving on from Americans because the pool of talent to replace them is vast. Dumping Canadians who can still play... 

Jake may have agreed to a chance to compete contract and that's it, seems to be a lot of variables that could influence how they structure the D-line this season. Can't see him sticking around if they plop him on the PR, he obviously still wants to play football.

More critical if they lose Jeffcoat and Walker, they'll have some major holes to fill and not a lot of spare cash to do it with, if they go all out and sign Schoen and Brady.

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

More critical if they lose Jeffcoat and Walker, they'll have some major holes to fill and not a lot of spare cash to do it with, if they go all out and sign Schoen and Brady.

If Bombers lose Jeffcoat and one of either Oliveira or Schoen, should be money in the kitty to go after Mathieu Betts.

Just now, Doublezero said:

If Bombers lose Jeffcoat and one of either Oliveira or Schoen, should be money in the kitty to go after Mathieu Betts.

I wouldnt want him..o.ne trick pony and easy to neutralize him...and he wants big cash

I'd rather do a 1 yr on Oakman, or snag Hendrix for multi yr deal. both will come in at prob half of what Betts will get

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I wouldnt want him..o.ne trick pony and easy to neutralize him...and he wants big cash

I'd rather do a 1 yr on Oakman, or snag Hendrix for multi yr deal. both will come in at prob half of what Betts will get

Betts has a Nat passport though, and if Bombers decide not to overpay for a RB, as they have done before, I could see them going after Betts for the ratio edge.

Just now, Doublezero said:

Betts has a Nat passport though, and if Bombers decide not to overpay for a RB, as they have done before, I could see them going after Betts for the ratio edge.

not for his 300k ask they wont....or desire to be highest paid Canadian...Plus he's super overated.....hard pass

1 minute ago, Doublezero said:

We don't need a ratio edge. We routinely start 8 or 9 Nats.

If they are going to spend that price tag, they're gonna sign Schoen.