2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

I love the kid, but I love the Bombers more. 

Yep if some one gives him 200k plus I’ll be happy for him and all. With our scheme and ol we could plug nearly any import rb in and get 1200+ yards with ease. It’d be very easy to find a similar power back but with way better top end speed who would break a lot more huge runs. 
 I love Brady and I hope he stays on a reasonable contract. But what are the chances he matches last year or improves on it? 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yep if some one gives him 200k plus I’ll be happy for him and all. With our scheme and ol we could plug nearly any import rb in and get 1200+ yards with ease. It’d be very easy to find a similar power back but with way better top end speed who would break a lot more huge runs. 
 I love Brady and I hope he stays on a reasonable contract. But what are the chances he matches last year or improves on it? 

No one is giving him 200k plus. RBs just aren't that valued in the CFL and Brady O is a good one, but he is also a product of our OL and commitment to the run. I think we could plug in 4-5 guys in this league and still get 1000 yards rushing easily from them.

Edited by GCn20

In all honesty....I would prefer we move on from the Canadian back.....easiest spot to fill, and have viable back up...can be rostered on the cheap even into a second contract compared to a National.

And if it saves us 100k+ in the process that can be directed elsewhere...its a no brainer.....Kudos to him on getting paid, but if his intent is to "re-set" the RB market he can do it on some one else's dime

Just now, wbbfan said:

On a crazy side note, if we signed strevy to a 200k deal and started him at rb while having him as a back up qb, any one think he would run for less than 1200 yards? Imagine those gadget designs lol. Maybe roster an ni qb who can do some thing else as qb3. 

Would be an interesting experiment for sure. Not sure how he would do as a RB, but we know he can run.

Just now, wbbfan said:

On a crazy side note, if we signed strevy to a 200k deal and started him at rb while having him as a back up qb, any one think he would run for less than 1200 yards? Imagine those gadget designs lol. Maybe roster an ni qb who can do some thing else as qb3. 

he'd have over 2000 all purpose easily, and would be very interesting to see how he could be used

Just now, JCon said:

I could see someone on a cheap QB contract doing just that. Secure a reliable RB for your developing QB. 

But, that ain't us right now. 

and who's gonna be employing a bargain basement contract this yr?..I don't see one anywhere

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No one is giving him 200k plus. RBs just aren't that valued in the CFL and Brady O is a good one, but he is also a product of our OL and commitment to the run.

I never underestimate how much cfl teams will over pay free agents. Not since we’ve seen 700k mike Reilly, 300k WRs etc. the corpse of Harris got 145/160 last year and stanback got 160/170. 
 The Argos also paid 111/123 to ouellette. So they paid a total of 256/283 to 2 RBs. They could give Brady 215 and save money. Crazy football league. 
 If rourke was available I wouldn’t be surprised if some one offered him a mil or some thing ridiculous. Mtl also paid 95/117 to antwi for 255/287. Hamilton paid butler/ste a combined 220/251. 
 When did cfl teams start paying soo much for two RBs? This is crazy. 191/234 for Brady and Augustine is cheaper than half the league. 

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

he'd have over 2000 all purpose easily, and would be very interesting to see how he could be used

I think so too. He can catch he actually played some wr at what was it ucla? Before he transferred to nd. 

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

and who's gonna be employing a bargain basement contract this yr?..I don't see one anywhere

I mean I would sign like some big athlete ni who could roster as a qb and maybe do short yardage or some thing, hold, snap, kick cover etc. shoot you could sign a Canadian basketball player from college whose Agudosi size and use em for all kinds of things. 

Edited by wbbfan

40 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I never underestimate how much cfl teams will over pay free agents. Not since we’ve seen 700k mike Reilly, 300k WRs etc. the corpse of Harris got 145/160 last year and stanback got 160/170. 
 The Argos also paid 111/123 to ouellette. So they paid a total of 256/283 to 2 RBs. They could give Brady 215 and save money. Crazy football league. 
 If rourke was available I wouldn’t be surprised if some one offered him a mil or some thing ridiculous. Mtl also paid 95/117 to antwi for 255/287. Hamilton paid butler/ste a combined 220/251. 
 When did cfl teams start paying soo much for two RBs? This is crazy. 191/234 for Brady and Augustine is cheaper than half the league. 

I think so too. He can catch he actually played some wr at what was it ucla? Before he transferred to nd. 

I mean I would sign like some big athlete ni who could roster as a qb and maybe do short yardage or some thing, hold, snap, kick cover etc. shoot you could sign a Canadian basketball player from college whose Agudosi size and use em for all kinds of things. 

I don't underestimate any teams silliness in FA. However, teams that want to blow their brains out in FA won't do it for a RB...at least we have never seen that in the CFL yet. I just can't see any team paying 1 running back over 180k. Once you are in that neighborhood you are in elite DE or WR territory and teams will pivot to that if they have that much cash to spare. RBs....and I don't want to minimize the position...just are not worth 200k a year because of supply and demand. It is my firm belief that the Bombers would have absolutely no issue whatsoever with finding a RB that is 1000-1200 yards in the bank for much cheaper. I think the rest of the league feels the same. There is an upper limit to RBs, They aren't particularly difficult to replace. If Brady O isn't NAT we aren't even discussing 180-200k because it would be a 100% lock that no one would even entertain such a notion.

Edited by GCn20

53 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

minnesota wasnt it?

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'm in agreement with many here. I like Brady. I'd like him back but not at more than $180,000 to $190,000.

180k....anymore than that I would be interested to see what he does without the Bombers OL. I understand where Brady is coming from, but I really don't like him going public with his demands like this. I am slowly losing some respect for him and if he wants to go to the highest bidder then so be it. He can set the bar somewhere else and we will bring in a guy at a fraction of the cost that offers us similar production...bank on it.

Edited by GCn20

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

180k....anymore than that I would be interested to see what he does without the Bombers OL. I understand where Brady is coming from, but I really don't like him going public with his demands like this. I am slowly losing some respect for him and if he wants to go to the highest bidder then so be it. He can set the bar somewhere else and we will bring in a guy at a fraction of the cost that offers us similar production...bank on it.

yup....pretty much this....and more a home run hitter too.....we will be jut fine if we need to move on

46 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'm in agreement with many here. I like Brady. I'd like him back but not at more than $180,000 to $190,000.

They should be able to fit Brady in if Walters accepts he'll probably lose Schoen once the bidding for his services goes beyond $200k. Not that Schoen isn't worth it, but they can't keep everyone and attrition of select players to free agency is an accepted reality of running a top team filled with league allstars.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I don't underestimate any teams silliness in FA. However, teams that want to blow their brains out in FA won't do it for a RB...at least we have never seen that in the CFL yet. I just can't see any team paying 1 running back over 180k. Once you are in that neighborhood you are in elite DE or WR territory and teams will pivot to that if they have that much cash to spare. RBs....and I don't want to minimize the position...just are not worth 200k a year because of supply and demand. It is my firm belief that the Bombers would have absolutely no issue whatsoever with finding a RB that is 1000-1200 yards in the bank for much cheaper. I think the rest of the league feels the same. There is an upper limit to RBs, They aren't particularly difficult to replace. If Brady O isn't NAT we aren't even discussing 180-200k because it would be a 100% lock that no one would even entertain such a notion.

I think if he gets it, and he’s the only back in the league with the potential to get that value it will be due as much to his viral marketability, and his pass port. How many Canadians are legit mop candidates and that you can lock up long term. A team like bc could market him in a big way to a younger demographic and grow a lot. Salary cap wise that much into a rb is crippling for sure. Though a lot of teams have wasted a lot of money on 2 meh RBs lately. I’d rather sign one guy like Brady and bring in a base contract guy for similar combined money. 
but two cheap RBs does make the most sense. 

30 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Every RB wants to reset the market, they have all ended up disappointed so far.

Truth. The nfl fa backs literally had a meeting in the off season trying to organize this exact thing. 

26 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

They should be able to fit Brady in if Walters accepts he'll probably lose Schoen once the bidding for his services goes beyond $200k. Not that Schoen isn't worth it, but they can't keep everyone and attrition of select players to free agency is an accepted reality of running a top team filled with league allstars.

We can keep both and lawler, if we go cheap at back up rb, like ni rookie deal, or if we go cheap at back up qb. We could literally hand Brady 50k more salary from Augustine’s check and get a rookie ni and be in the same situation as last year. 
 We could also say good bye to Bailey for a rookie and save a chunk. I think that happens long before schoen is given up. 

Hate to see Brady go BUT his ask is a little rich for us....I have to agree with the comment disliking negs. in the media....contract negotiations should be kept private until their completed....Thought Brady was bigger than that....I wonder if we'll hear of anymore of OUR fa signings before 23' runs out...There has to be a couple around the corner

1 hour ago, Booch said:

yup....pretty much this....and more a home run hitter too.....we will be jut fine if we need to move on

That's a ridiculous notion.  Oliveira is the most dominant RB this league has seen since Mike Pringle, and he is still young to boot.  Bombers would have won the GreyCup if they kept feeding him the ball.

37 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If we can only keep one, I'd keep Schoen over Brady O. Some team that is lacking in Cdn talent is likely to pay Brady the big bucks to kill two birds with one signing. 

Can the Bombers afford to keep Schoen and Lawler?  I believe Lawler is due to make almost $300K this season.   With what Schoen will demand, that could be 3 players on offence making well over a million dollars in total (Schoen $250Kish, Collaros $600K, and Lawler $300K)

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

That's a ridiculous notion.  Oliveira is the most dominant RB this league has seen since Mike Pringle, and he is still young to boot.  Bombers would have won the GreyCup if they kept feeding him the ball.

Can the Bombers afford to keep Schoen and Lawler?  I believe Lawler is due to make almost $300K this season.   With what Schoen will demand, that could be 3 players on offence making well over a million dollars in total (Schoen $250Kish, Collaros $600K, and Lawler $300K)

Bombers can afford Schoen and Lawler as much as any team can afford two great receivers. SMS is going up a bit, and Schoen likely gives us the hometown discount to stay. KW will make the salaries work....always has...and you Rider fans will cry foul about it.

12 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I like Brady a lot but I'd argue Cornish, Andrew Harris and Blink were all as or more dominant than Brady.

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I love Oliveira but this statement is just patently untrue.

Brady O is the most consistent since Pringle, but most dominant? Nope. I don't think so. Cornish and Harris were much more dominant in their prime. Brady O lacks that consistent big run potential. He runs consistently for average, but he needs to be fed the rock a lot to pile up yardage.  I honestly believe a guy like Stanback, Brown, Carey getting 20 touches a game behind our OL would see very similar results. Brady O had almost a 100 touches more than these guys behind a far better OL.

Edited by GCn20