2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

18 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Minimum definitely sounds like the floor to me. 

Yea....I am unclear why there would be a need for any use of the term otherwise. It would just be set in stone. Each team must designate X amount of dollars over the SMS floor.

18 hours ago, DTonOB said:

The way it's laid out in the CBA says: 
For 2024 the "Salary Expenditure Cap" is $5,525,000. Then the "Non-Football Related Services minimum additional amount" is $110,000 for a "Total Salary Expenditure Cap" of $5,635,000.

$110K is the number for this year and is the minimum per year going forward if league revenue doesn't increase (the table in Article 30 lays out the cap through 2028 season). If league revenue does increase, the amount available to players for promotion/outreach would also increase.

To me it reads like 'You have to pay your players exactly $110k on promotion and outreach and you need to be able to prove guys are working for it.'

Ok thanks, that makes way more sense than being able to go nuts with SMS skirting. The use of the term "minimum" in this case is not meant to be used as anything more than to denote that it could be more based on revenues in the future not to mean there is unlimited spending.

Edited by GCn20

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Yea....I am unclear why there would be a need for any use of the term otherwise. It would just be set in stone. Each team must designate X amount of dollars over the SMS floor.

Ok thanks, that makes way more sense than being able to go nuts with SMS skirting. The use of the term "minimum" in this case is not meant to be used as anything more than to denote that it could be more based on revenues in the future not to mean there is unlimited spending.

I am sure minimum means minimum as in teams can allocate more than 110k to players in promo money this year if they wish.  That section of the CBA is poorly written, as a legal document there shud be greater clarity.

So far we know the Bombers have given 105k to three players. (Brady 50k, Schoen 35k, Demski 20k).

My guess is they prolly allocated promo money to guys like Jefferson and Bighill as well.

Willie Jefferson was at my daughter’s school last year. Believe the promo money would be like appearing at let’s say a signing at a dealership or something along those lines. Strev got promo money did he not. So bombers giving it out to guys who will draw fans in right. Ain’t no rookie or nobodies getting promo cash. 

Edited by Goalie

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Willie Jefferson was at my daughter’s school last year. Believe the promo money would be like appearing at let’s say a signing at a dealership or something along those lines. Strev got promo money did he not. So bombers giving it out to guys who will draw fans in right. Ain’t no rookie or nobodies getting promo cash. 

The Bombers don’t pay players to attend businesses, businesses pay for that. I know from having given Milt envelopes of cash back in the day. 

Edited by GCJenks

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

I thought they said when Strev signed he got promo money. Could go back 150 pages lol. 

11) Chris Streveler, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (A)

Hard money: $120,000
Maximum value: $174,000

The fan favourite returned to Bomberland this off-season following a four-year stint in the NFL. He received a $36,200 signing bonus from Winnipeg and can collect $70,000 in base salary, $13,800 in housing money, and $3,000 each time he plays more than half of the team’s offensive snaps in a regular season game

11 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

The Bombers don’t pay players to attend businesses, businesses pay for that. I know from having given Milt envelopes of cash back in the day. 

Milt was the exception. At one business I was at we had 3 or 4 players at an autograph signing and only Milt was given the envelope of cash.

27 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Is promo money then just autograph signings at the bombers store? Can’t be. 

I feel like some of you are overthinking this. It can be anything the Bombers want to pay them for. Players will still make numerous unpaid appearances for things like “I love to read month”.

58 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I feel like some of you are overthinking this. It can be anything the Bombers want to pay them for. Players will still make numerous unpaid appearances for things like “I love to read month”.

100% we’re reading too much into this 

Players will get paid for promo appearances, that doesn’t mean some players won’t still volunteer their time and that doesn’t mean businesses won’t pay other players for things they do on their own.

A few weeks ago, Streveler and Bryant appeared at a season ticket holder event where they chatted and answered questions. That would be in the promo package. 

16 hours ago, Goalie said:

Is promo money then just autograph signings at the bombers store? Can’t be. 

Could be among many other things.

4 hours ago, JCon said:

A few weeks ago, Streveler and Bryant appeared at a season ticket holder event where they chatted and answered questions. That would be in the promo package. 

Yep, I am sure the Bombers will use the promo money for run shoulders with sponsors/sponsors clients, autograph signings at the store, doing Bomber commercials etc. etc.

On 2024-05-11 at 5:36 AM, Mike said:

They do that for free 

Do the Bombers still have a basketball & hockey teams like they used to? I remember the Bombers would play high school junior & senior high basketball teams back in the day. Some of those guys could really ball. My friend was an all star forward for Churchill High School in Grade 12. He ended up playing for 4 years at the University of Winnipeg for the Wesmen so he was a serious player. I guess a couple of Bomber players also were very good basketball players & they schooled the Bulldogs. There was a photo in our yearbook of my friend with his hands on his hips looking pissed off as one of the Bombers was doing a free throw. The hockey team played in the media league. There were a few media guys on that Bomber team as well. When the Bomber basketball team came to a high school it was a big deal. The gym would be packed wherever they played.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2024-05-11 at 11:06 PM, Fatty Liver said:

Cam will be appearing at Islendingadagurinn in both Gimli and Hecla July 1-3, even if he claims to be of Svedish decent, close enough.

That's Cam, Son of Law, to us common folk

On 2024-05-11 at 4:37 PM, GCJenks said:

Whether one likes it or not, that's what happens when you're the GOAT of the team.

On 2024-05-11 at 11:06 PM, Fatty Liver said:

Cam will be appearing at Islendingadagurinn in both Gimli and Hecla July 1-3, even if he claims to be of Svedish decent, close enough.

can't wait to see him there, hope the weather ends up good. 

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

He’s only 33. He just started young so it seems like he’s been around forever

11 year career with 187 games. That’s 33 going on 40 in football/linemen years. 

5 hours ago, Booch said:

When we stop reupping him...I can't see nobody else signing him to be a big contributor let alone starter...

for the 2nd time. He was fringed off the team early on in the mafia era. Which was a bit soon and he had some solid play after. But damn the captain of the old boys club has to go.