Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

What I don't see is the upcoming replacements for the main guys like Biggie, the Jeffs, Bryant, Hardrick or Miller beginning to shine.

I see future stars developing on other teams across the league here and there, but not so much on the Bombers.  The last few years it seems they've mostly brought in foot soldiers and do not have the next gen. of exceptional leaders coming up within the ranks. 

The next man up isn’t always or even often a rookie. When we were the class of the league we took advantage of undervalued and utilized talent like rose hardrick Zach Demski grant lawler etc, or paid fa stars like Willy and biggie to step in and fill a gap. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Habba fox burtenshaw Deng Agudosi ads Muhammad Cole Caleb Lawson Parker salima pigrome. In the pile of guys that beat out superior talents and wasted reps/roster spots szott Schmekel Bennett Jackson machino kola Augustine Thomas gmc/Parker as a return man that’s just a few guys this year. Really not hard Karamoko over maruo would’ve been an improvement too. 

Sorry, that list should have stopped after Fox. 

the second list you have there is understandable though.

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

My hot take? Mos won’t play better young guys because of his loyalty and is making us worse for it. Buck can’t adjust and has failed to build a system that progresses and has wrinkles. Hall is too soft to get his guys to tackle or play aggressive even out side of the cushion. We have our heads soo far up our own butts as an organization that we think our culture will keep us contending no matter what and staying on the moral high ground is as important as winning a gc. And that maybe, just maybe, walters is one foot out the door ready to go back to a gig in Ontario. 

Here's my hot take: Our coaching, team culture, and in-game adjustments have been quite effective this year, concealing the challenges we face with roster management decisions, an aging roster, and a lack of impactful recruits.

Just now, Pepper_Brooks said:

Here's my hot take: Our coaching, team culture, and in-game adjustments have been quite effective this year, concealing the challenges we face with roster management decisions, an aging roster, and a lack of impactful recruits.

Agreed. I'm not sure I understand the "Buck can't adjust" when we've been a 2nd half team all year. Both O and D. 

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

BC...which isn't a big deal imo. SSK during Labour day...again..that's how that week goes for some reason....Ticats IN hammy....which is exactly where they lost last year. And Ott. who had no business hanging with them but did and they needed OT to get the W...I'll ask you to go back to weeks 1 and 2 of last year. 

So really, the only issue I see is the OTT game. Against a team that had a new QB starting that no one really knew much about. And the Bombers made 3 or 4 HUGE errors that I would bet 99 out of 100 times dont ALL take place in the same game.

Again the point is look at the teams that beat us and see that it’s not all contenders close to half of them over the two years beating us was the biggest game for them. It’s not that Hamilton is gonna become a 15 win team in the off season but that every year bad teams get better. Even if the record doesn’t improve bad teams get more talent spend more money take more chances on rookies. The line is always moving up, If you aren’t, suddenly you get passed by a bunch of people and fall down in tiers quickly. 
 You can say 99 times out of a 100 that doesn’t happen but it did, 99 times out of 100 bc scores on that last play of ot, 99 times you don’t get the double tip pick to win the gc in ot. 99 times out of 100 Zach collaros doesn’t come back from the brink to become a back to back mop. A good chunk of our loses over two years  came to teams that had no business beating us. And the amount of times we played down to teams and came back to win like in edm is staggering. 
 The line that seperates tor, bc and us from the teams below is very thing right now. In 21 it was huge, which is an aberration in it self. Every year the bad teams are one great/lucky off season away from contending. And old contenders are as close to falling off. 
look at Calgary. They went from expecting to be in a gc to mid play off tier to fringe. That fall off hasn’t even been quick. 

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Agreed. I'm not sure I understand the "Buck can't adjust" when we've been a 2nd half team all year. Both O and D. 

We haven’t on O though. 3rd q is our worst. We’ve had a bunch of hot starts in our wins. What kind of play call adjustments have you seen in the second half that brought success? The big difference to when our offence succeeds or fails is 1 sticking with Brady, but 2 and most importantly is Zach pin pointing deep balls. 

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Habba fox burtenshaw Deng Agudosi ads Muhammad Cole Caleb Lawson Parker salima pigrome.

None of those guys have proven ****... the best of that list is Haba and he is in no way shape or form better than either Jeffcoat or Jefferson at this point in time. 

Your argument that we need to improve and get younger is valid, your position that we're blocking younger better players is mostly incorrect. Recruitment and drafting has been the issue IMO.

Edited by 17to85

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

None of those guys have proven ****... the best of that list is Haba and he is in no way shape or form better than either Jeffcoat or Jefferson at this point in time. 

Your argument that we need to improve and get younger is valid, your position that we're blocking younger better players is mostly incorrect. Recruitment and drafting has been the issue IMO.

Lawler had not proven any thing when the lions cut him. If he never played here, it’d still be a waste. 
 Also you didn’t say prove any thing, you said talent. You’re moving the goal line to try and prove your point. Fact is, we’ve wasted talent and failed to develop guys. We’ve brought in more blue chippers in the last two years than we did in the previous 2 seasons. They weren’t all just flops. 
 You’re wrong. It’s not purely recruitment and drafting. Doesn’t matter who you bring in if you don’t put them on the field. Mos has always rostered sub par scrubs over better players for intangible reasons. For the important part of two seasons our talent was soo much better than every one else’s that it didn’t matter. That almost never happens and isn’t maintainable.  
 Reverse engineer your thinking. Did Malcolm Thomas start for teams after us? How many of the maligned guys make other teams rosters and or start when we moved on from them? Teams mostly go after our young guys. Who has signed away a 30 year old from us? The main problem is once guys meet a certain criteria mos is ride or die with them no matter who is under them. 
 Do you think mos would roster nick bosa over jj / wj? I guarantee you he wouldn’t.  If we signed the 5 best pass rushers in the nfl today none of them would start. 

Edited by wbbfan

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Lawler had not proven any thing when the lions cut him. If he never played here, it’d still be a waste. 
 Also you didn’t say prove any thing, you said talent. You’re moving the goal line to try and prove your point. Fact is, we’ve wasted talent and failed to develop guys. We’ve brought in more blue chippers in the last two years than we did in the previous 2 seasons. They weren’t all just flops. 
 You’re wrong. It’s not purely recruitment and drafting. Doesn’t matter who you bring in if you don’t put them on the field. Mos has always rostered sub par scrubs over better players for intangible reasons. For the important part of two seasons our talent was soo much better than every one else’s that it didn’t matter. That almost never happens and isn’t maintainable.  
 Reverse engineer your thinking. Did Malcolm Thomas start for teams after us? How many of the maligned guys make other teams rosters and or start when we moved on from them? Teams mostly go after our young guys. Who has signed away a 30 year old from us? The main problem is once guys meet a certain criteria mos is ride or die with them no matter who is under them. 
 Do you think mos would roster nick bosa over jj / wj? I guarantee you he wouldn’t.  If we signed the 5 best pass rushers in the nfl today none of them would start. 

That's a bold statement. Forgive the pun.

Bryant and Hardrick have been fine...still upper tier of OT in the league and both dont...and wont break the bank....Bryant said if healthy and still having fun he doesn't see himself hanging them up....both are evident this yr so good chance he plays one more....If not we get younger and cheaper with Richmond, and be just fine .Our interior needs to be revamped to allow those 2 to excel....and to be more dominate and aggressive game in and game out. I have zero issues with Neufs game....but salary, and 2 young guys behind him who need to play I see that as one of the departures....Kolo could be kept as depth...but would like to see us develop a new draft pick there. We will be fine with Eli and Dobson on the interior, and Gray is serviceable at guard, and may be heir apparent to Hardrick.

WJ and Jeffcoat as well...are not anywhere near past their prime, and both come in cheaper than a lot of other lesser and comparable talent in the league...and don't see it changing next yr...they will take fair but affordable deals here. And next yr a legit rotational end has to be part of the picture.....plain and simple....and With Hansen another yr removed from injury a legit 4 man rotation would do wonders...Inside...we need a true competion there and let the "best" men win it....old boys club and fav's/been here a while guys getting roles should not factor in...Thomas is beyond done and if u watch him tippy toe around out there during plays and have no real purpose more times than not, it almost becomes comical....Bennett, should have to earn a spot...not be gifted one like this yr due to 2 things...1st overall pick...and having nobody else that was brought in...or brought in and kept...Jackson being 32 next yr as well should be gone....has zero upside and offers nothing a Canadian draft pick can't provide....and that DA spot would be valuable....incredibly valuable...his use taking up that spot this yr has been a legit farce all yr....and thats all on Osh

Karamoko should have replace Mauro on roster well before Hansen, as he as well has way more use...is a legit defensive talent, and if next yr we can't field a Canadian punter, or allow Castillo to do all 3 jobs so he can get on roster with Hansen and strengthen our over all depth then something again is wrong...That punter is nothing special, was the lesser of the 2 globals we kept, but was on roster due to the coach having a boner for his aussie style crap....big part of our return issues is not playing with a traditional punter....and the game against the Lions last week when he tried to punt us out of trouble from our 5 and couldn't get it barely to mid field was cause enough to look elsewhere...brutal

Briggs...can go as well...thanks for the years but aged out ST has no real purpose now...Miller too....hasnt played all yr...higher price tag for soley a ST guy and short yardage/Jumbo package...easy spot to fill....Scmeckle....why?....never gonna be a piece here...so see ya too.....Draft with purpose, not with just ST in mind...which is a fault we have over yrs too....get the best talent...cause the best talent can and wil play teams, and be legit back-ups.....like mentioned our Canadian depth after starters, and a couple back ups is weak

We also missed the boat on rostering a Biggie transition....Unless they see Clements as that guy...not sure what they thinking as they did nothing to address his spot and successor and of all our key pieces...he is the one first to falter and need to be replaced...do what you did with DB's to unearth legit studs with the LB group and DT....probably easier to find those gems too

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

we have tho...Thomas...Kolo...Kramdi...Bennett....Briggs....are and have been blocking better and younger talent...to the point in some cases we don't even bring a legit challenger in

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

like I mentioned before...once tc ends up in Canada it's near impossible to prove anything our out work any player who is a coach's favorite, or a guy being shown loyalty to...unless they look at actual skill set/measurables and intangibles.....we suffer from that here more so than most teams...

Have to agree with most of your take Booch....It's obvious we are weak in transitioning and thoughts for the future....I'm afraid all of this is going to end in abrupt change and decline next year ....I know we have a few replacements signed and still on our roster but are they enough....I'm all for 'win now' and if that occurs ...great.... but considerations for the future certainly appear to be lacking

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Habba fox burtenshaw Deng Agudosi ads Muhammad Cole Caleb Lawson Parker salima pigrome. In the pile of guys that beat out superior talents and wasted reps/roster spots szott Schmekel Bennett Jackson machino kola Augustine Thomas gmc/Parker as a return man that’s just a few guys this year. Really not hard Karamoko over maruo would’ve been an improvement too. 

I can't agree with a single one of these names except Habba; and he's had playing time. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Cite examples of more talented players who aren't getting reps at the expense of older players....

Lucky Jackson, currently playing WR with the Minnesota Vikings, was likely more talented than another players who stuck in out of '22 camp.

Same with Barrington Wade in '23 class — he signed with the Bears after the Bombers cut him. You're telling me he wouldn't be better than Malik or Brian Cole right now?

Jamal Parker has not been getting the reps he should've been over Winston Rose.

Dobson and Tui should probably both be starting over Kow and Neuf right now.

30 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

Lucky Jackson, currently playing WR with the Minnesota Vikings, was likely more talented than another players who stuck in out of '22 camp.

Same with Barrington Wade in '23 class — he signed with the Bears after the Bombers cut him. You're telling me he wouldn't be better than Malik or Brian Cole right now?

22 when they kept Dalton schoen who has torn the league a new *******? Hard to say Jackson would have been better than that.  Regardless of who he's playing with now. 

Barrington Wade didn't do **** on preseason. That he signed with an NFL team says more about his agent if you ask me. 

Parker over rose? Interesting take... could have argued Houston, maybe Holm but not Rose. Our best secondary includes Rose in it. 

Neufeld has been the best OL this year in my opinion. No sure anyone should be taking his place. 

Again there are a couple spots on the roster we can quibble about but by and large there isn't some grand conspiracy or coaching ineptitude.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Lawler is a strange one if you ask me, Lawler got on the roster and did show well... just that lapo likes to waste receivers talents if they're not a demski or weston dressler type.

Haba is the only guy on your list who has shown enough to get on the roster. We need to develop some young players sure, and part of that is development time.  Inserting haba over some of the vets doesn't make this team any better today.

53 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

Sorry, but playing in the NFL will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever (get it yet?) equal quality CFL players. Some guys just fit in better with different leagues. Saying that, Lucky had opportunities not just in WPG but in the CFL and did nothing. He's caught exactly zero passes this year. But I'm sure he'd be producing more than Schoen.  I'm not even sure he's on the active roster. Wade was released by the Bears, you know the powerhouse of the NFL. And 100% no, I don't think he'd be better than Cole. Cole who is getting more and more playing time could very well be our next starting WIL.

Edited by Bigblue204

21 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Sorry, but playing in the NFL will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever (get it yet?) equal quality CFL players. Some guys just fit in better with different leagues. Saying that, Lucky had opportunities not just in WPG but in the CFL and did nothing. He's caught exactly zero passes this year. But I'm sure he'd be producing more than Schoen.  I'm not even sure he's on the active roster. Wade was released by the Bears, you know the powerhouse of the NFL. And 100% no, I don't think he'd be better than Cole. Cole who is getting more and more playing time could very well be our next starting WIL.

I'd put him at SAM...or just use him as we have been...Stand up at the line....delay blitzes sometimes...sometimes drops out....other will play conventional LB....He is very versatile....He's be a heat seeking missiles from the Safety spot too

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

This is fine. Lmao don’t over dose on copium you’re at dangerous levels. 
neither of our tackles can defend speed rushes. Neuf isn’t gonna retire. He will continue to run out onto the field til he’s forced off it. 

You are suggesting that Bryant and Hardrick can no longer block? That's insane.

4 hours ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Your strong bias towards the blue team is quite evident in this post. 

It's clear that our team is displaying signs of aging this year, and I anticipate significant departures during the offseason to lower the average age and offload veteran salaries of several players you've mentioned.

That is likely the case and was not the argument at all. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Bryant and Hardrick have been fine...still upper tier of OT in the league and both dont...and wont break the bank....Bryant said if healthy and still having fun he doesn't see himself hanging them up....both are evident this yr so good chance he plays one more....If not we get younger and cheaper with Richmond, and be just fine .Our interior needs to be revamped to allow those 2 to excel....and to be more dominate and aggressive game in and game out. I have zero issues with Neufs game....but salary, and 2 young guys behind him who need to play I see that as one of the departures....Kolo could be kept as depth...but would like to see us develop a new draft pick there. We will be fine with Eli and Dobson on the interior, and Gray is serviceable at guard, and may be heir apparent to Hardrick.

WJ and Jeffcoat as well...are not anywhere near past their prime, and both come in cheaper than a lot of other lesser and comparable talent in the league...and don't see it changing next yr...they will take fair but affordable deals here. And next yr a legit rotational end has to be part of the picture.....plain and simple....and With Hansen another yr removed from injury a legit 4 man rotation would do wonders...Inside...we need a true competion there and let the "best" men win it....old boys club and fav's/been here a while guys getting roles should not factor in...Thomas is beyond done and if u watch him tippy toe around out there during plays and have no real purpose more times than not, it almost becomes comical....Bennett, should have to earn a spot...not be gifted one like this yr due to 2 things...1st overall pick...and having nobody else that was brought in...or brought in and kept...Jackson being 32 next yr as well should be gone....has zero upside and offers nothing a Canadian draft pick can't provide....and that DA spot would be valuable....incredibly valuable...his use taking up that spot this yr has been a legit farce all yr....and thats all on Osh

Karamoko should have replace Mauro on roster well before Hansen, as he as well has way more use...is a legit defensive talent, and if next yr we can't field a Canadian punter, or allow Castillo to do all 3 jobs so he can get on roster with Hansen and strengthen our over all depth then something again is wrong...That punter is nothing special, was the lesser of the 2 globals we kept, but was on roster due to the coach having a boner for his aussie style crap....big part of our return issues is not playing with a traditional punter....and the game against the Lions last week when he tried to punt us out of trouble from our 5 and couldn't get it barely to mid field was cause enough to look elsewhere...brutal

Briggs...can go as well...thanks for the years but aged out ST has no real purpose now...Miller too....hasnt played all yr...higher price tag for soley a ST guy and short yardage/Jumbo package...easy spot to fill....Scmeckle....why?....never gonna be a piece here...so see ya too.....Draft with purpose, not with just ST in mind...which is a fault we have over yrs too....get the best talent...cause the best talent can and wil play teams, and be legit back-ups.....like mentioned our Canadian depth after starters, and a couple back ups is weak

We also missed the boat on rostering a Biggie transition....Unless they see Clements as that guy...not sure what they thinking as they did nothing to address his spot and successor and of all our key pieces...he is the one first to falter and need to be replaced...do what you did with DB's to unearth legit studs with the LB group and DT....probably easier to find those gems too

we have tho...Thomas...Kolo...Kramdi...Bennett....Briggs....are and have been blocking better and younger talent...to the point in some cases we don't even bring a legit challenger in

like I mentioned before...once tc ends up in Canada it's near impossible to prove anything our out work any player who is a coach's favorite, or a guy being shown loyalty to...unless they look at actual skill set/measurables and intangibles.....we suffer from that here more so than most teams...

I would think Wilson would be Biggie's replacement. All other boxes are checked off except Nat depth.

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The next man up isn’t always or even often a rookie. When we were the class of the league we took advantage of undervalued and utilized talent like rose hardrick Zach Demski grant lawler etc, or paid fa stars like Willy and biggie to step in and fill a gap. 

Exactly. Our replacement options will be ample come FA. We don't necessarily need to transition guys this year for next year. We just need to swap guys out when it is time to do so. Harris being shown the door is proof our org will do what needs to be done.

Edited by GCn20

Maybe you guys are right ,MOS is loyal to his vets( though they proved they would go younger when they cut Harris) but again why not be loyal? We ARE still one of the two top teams in the league and if MOS wants to go to war with these guys one more year, well i say he deserves to do whatever the hell he thinks is best and thankfully he will......

6 hours ago, Stickem said:

Have to agree with most of your take Booch....It's obvious we are weak in transitioning and thoughts for the future....I'm afraid all of this is going to end in abrupt change and decline next year ....I know we have a few replacements signed and still on our roster but are they enough....I'm all for 'win now' and if that occurs ...great.... but considerations for the future certainly appear to be lacking

In the age of one year contracts the future is how strong of a destination FAs consider you to be. Right now we are a marquee destination.

We do not need to rebuild. We need to reload. Secondary is all there with a ton of depth. Lbers go to Cole/Wilson/Clements next year. Alexander swapped out for Ford and kept as depth. OL sees Kola and Neuf challenged and perhaps supplanted by Dobson/Eli. Receivers all in their prime. Walter's shops quality Nat depth and maybe some interesting young IMPs in FA. Perhaps a true NT and another up and Comer DE.

I am not seeing much tweaking needed beyond that. It's not a big list to keep us at the top of the heap.

Not sure where this myth that we are aging out came from but it's dead wrong. Plenty of quality young players in their prime here, and only a couple guys really aging out play wise.

Edited by GCn20

6 hours ago, Booch said:

6 of the 9 MLBs in the league are scheduled to go to FA this offseason. That could be why we have not seen a huge Biggie replacement search.

8 hours ago, Booch said:

The biggest weakness is the two inside defensive linemen. Those positions need to be upgraded to guys who get a consistent push and can run stop. A national at one of those positions is almost a must to help ratio. The guys on the roster are not getting it done. Drafting a national prospect at one of those positions, or getting a worthy national vet in FA is a must in the offseason. For the other position, if this were going to be a serious cup run year, someone fitting the bill should have been brought in after NFL cuts. They are not getting consistent pressure unless they blitz and that will be their undoing in the playoffs. Blitzing worked against BC last time in the 2nd half, but don't count on it to work next time.

Edited by SteakTips