CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

3 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Another guy that thinks the MOP award should go to the player that performs better than expectations.

People treat mop like it’s most improved or break out or mvp or qb of the year as they see fit. A bunch of the awards are like that actually. Mol is always an ol team is always a kr or kicker when was the last time a db won modp? Always a wil, Mac, or de. 
 Wouldn’t mind a redefining of some of the awards to make things clearer and give some guys a chance at their position. 

Looked up modp, jovon is the only db to ever win. First half Fleming won one some how, explain that to Doug brown please some one lol. Dt bayliss in 93, dt dr death (what a nick name) and Helton in 74. 4 out of 48. 44 de/lbers. 
for mop soli won it in 14 then hal Paterson in 56 for defensive players. 
 Mol going back to 74 has never gone to a dl. 
teams has never gone to any one but a kr/kicker. Not a punter not a cover guy. And we’ve seen a couple good blocked kick years from guys in the early ots too. 

19 hours ago, Booch said:

ha...didnt even see that....but really....nobody in the West was deserving....You got the Brothers Incompetant...Assbag Jones, and knucklehead IN BC who I cant even think of his name as I write this...whose team wilted and showed lack of discipline all yr.

I think tho MAAS should be the winner, especially taking a team that had to pretty much start any signings, and recruiting well after anyone else due to the ownership issue there, and had some big time players leave due to that uncertainty

I agree. Dinwiddie and MOS did very good jobs with very good rosters but Maas had literally nothing to work with and got double digit wins on a team expected to finish last.

4 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Thanks for the backup 😁. Argo fans/media are saying some super ridiculous things these days.

I have never seen their heads swelled like this. It's unbearable when people who know nothing about football get swelled heads. It becomes non-sensical. Like the RIders fans a decade ago.

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

It’s a pretty clear cut 2 horse race imo. 

For sure. Imo, Dinwiddie deserves it. He doesn't have the locker room that MOS does.

20 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Not imo. That’s more about WRs and play call. As stated starting field position is a huge deal. Some years no qb is outstanding too.

Ideally to rate an out standing qb I would look at stats like attempts per td, completions per game, yards per attempt, and turn overs per snap to get an idea of how much the offence relies on the qb and how prolific they are at producing. 2nd down conversions, 2 and outs, and sacks/hits/pressures are big as well. 

Some food for thought. The 21 bombers had a very similar dominant D, and great return game. We had a shorter season that coincides with the Argos sitting him a bunch and both strong run games. 

2021 Zach 

243/346 70.2% 3185yards 9.2avg 20 tds 6 picks 111 rating. 

2023 chad 

270/394 67.4% 4123yards 10.5avg 23 tds 12 picks 109.3 rating. 

Kelly still had a bunch more opportunities, but was leaned on significantly less, and put up more turn overs. 21 Zach was a classic qb mop season. 23 Kelly reminds me a lot of Trevor Harris but on a great team. 

Exactly. One has to look at intangibles as well. Did Kelly even once engineer a come from behind victory, or put the team on his back when the defence was having a rough game? If he did, I missed it. It's not difficult to be a productive QB when your defence is lights out, and you can ride a lead all game long. If we are talking MOP and there is a QB bias then Zac by almost every measurable had the better season.....and BO was more outstanding then him.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Its not about narrative that's for the media to write about, its about performance. My goodness, the media is ignorant. 

So you are thinking that Chad Kelly not starting in 6 years and then having success should not be a factor in this vote? Personally, I wanna see his Pop Warner numbers before I decide.

50 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I agree. Dinwiddie and MOS did very good jobs with very good rosters but Maas had literally nothing to work with and got double digit wins on a team expected to finish last.

I have never seen their heads swelled like this. It's unbearable when people who know nothing about football get swelled heads. It becomes non-sensical. Like the RIders fans a decade ago.

For sure. Imo, Dinwiddie deserves it. He doesn't have the locker room that MOS does.

I personally don't like when they treat the coach award as a "most improved".

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Looked up modp, jovon is the only db to ever win. First half Fleming won one some how, explain that to Doug brown please some one lol. Dt bayliss in 93, dt dr death (what a nick name) and Helton in 74. 4 out of 48. 44 de/lbers. 
for mop soli won it in 14 then hal Paterson in 56 for defensive players. 
 Mol going back to 74 has never gone to a dl. 
teams has never gone to any one but a kr/kicker. Not a punter not a cover guy. And we’ve seen a couple good blocked kick years from guys in the early ots too. 

The award is "most outstanding Offensive Lineman"... not most outstanding lineman

16 minutes ago, bearpants said:

The award is "most outstanding Offensive Lineman"... not most outstanding lineman

which is also begs for the reason why they don't have a MOL...and a MODL....be a nice extra award to hand out, and also allow some deserving guys to get a chance to win something when it's already limted who can get the teams nomination...

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Argos are discounting their playoff tickets to try to get some interest in the game. Save up to 45%. Pathetic organization. 

do the season ticket holders get a 45% refund on their post season ticket?...I'd be right pissed paying full price and supporting the team with the other 10k people...then get wagon jumpers get in for half price

Just now, JCon said:

We'll have to ask him. 

Foolish of them, because Hamilton beats Montreal they will flood BMO on the cheap and possibly outnumber Argo faithfuls lol....Even a large crop of Al's fans could show up too, as it's not that far a trip.....There goes an intense home field advantage that we get at our always sold out WF's

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Foolish of them, because Hamilton beats Montreal they will flood BMO on the cheap and possibly outnumber Argo faithfuls lol....Even a large crop of Al's fans could show up too, as it's not that far a trip.....There goes an intense home field advantage that we get at our always sold out WF's

All I know is that the trash organization will probably have their players and management fighting fans in the stands at the end, in true TO fashion. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Argos are discounting their playoff tickets to try to get some interest in the game. Save up to 45%. Pathetic organization. 

Defending Grey Cup Champs... Historic tying wins for a season, clinching 1st in the east 14 months ago, looking to punch their ticket to the big dance to defend thier title...

We can't sell anytickets to fill up the stadium,  at an already discounted price... we can't just give them away (yet)- Here's 45% off**!

** if you are patient enough, we will be running a promo with the local chicken restaurant giving a free set of 4 tickets with every bucket combo...

Seriously,  what's the ******* point when the market, doesn't hate you- it just gives absolutely zero ****s.

I actually feel bad for that Org- they have done a pretty good job with the on field product... the team deserves some fans... 

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

And isn't BMO a relatively small stadium, too?? Like it's not like they're trying to fill up Commonwealth or BC Place....

Edit...

31k ish... Not the 20k I was thinking, but still..... For all the reasons listed above, it's so embarrassing that they have to basically paper the place to not look like **** on TV....

Edited by Noeller

9 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Defending Grey Cup Champs... Historic tying wins for a season, clinching 1st in the east 14 months ago, looking to punch their ticket to the big dance to defend thier title...

We can't sell anytickets to fill up the stadium,  at an already discounted price... we can't just give them away (yet)- Here's 45% off**!

** if you are patient enough, we will be running a promo with the local chicken restaurant giving a free set of 4 tickets with every bucket combo...

Seriously,  what's the ******* point when the market, doesn't hate you- it just gives absolutely zero fucks.

I actually feel bad for that Org- they have done a pretty good job with the on field product... the team deserves some fans... 

I'm thinking the Argo organization is fifth in line for that.

Ironically they're also a victim of this 'we are the centre of the Universe' cuz the Argo's aint part of that discussion, that's reserved for the Leafs/Raptors/Blue Jays/FC  

15 minutes ago, bluto said:

Argos best attendance at BMO has been 24,929. May have a shot at bettering it. 

Not from this year... the best this year was 17k.... the average was 14k. 

Like I said- I like the product the argos have put on the field- it just a damn shame that there is very little fanfare for the team... 

7 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

They have the Most Outstanding Fans according to some Toronto sports journalists....

TBF, that(ose) diehard argo fan(s) is(are) pretty outstanding- it's just... there are so few of them. To stick with something so vehemently, that is so obscure in that market- that is a special something.