Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Just using Sankey as an example. Anyone who has read my posts about Sankey knows that I feel he is a one trick pony. However, if Biggie went down in game 16 he is an option available that wouldn't totally hoop us. Certainly not suggesting he could replace Biggie though..no one could.

The larger issue is that Bighill ain't getting any younger, and with aging, a few things are inevitable: he will slow down a bit more every year, become more injury-prone and take longer to heal. Like it or not, this is inevitable and the Bombers need to start looking for a replacement with increasing urgency. I was hoping that Wade would be that person, but apparently not.

2 hours ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Being called a Rider fan is nothing short of slanderous—nothing lower than accusing me of having an incurable addiction to green face paint and excessive amounts of banjo music!

How funny it is that my kids also insist I wax poetic too often, but I refuse their critique and continue indulging in my  musings.

And excessive verbosity.

13 minutes ago, Bigmike71 said:

Not quite sure what TBURGESS is trying to say here.  Yes Lawler shouldn’t have been drinking and driving, everyone can agree on that but as far as taking care of it October 21st. He had to wait for his court date. For the record it is an immigration issue due to him taking responsibility for a DUI. How is it that one person in particular always thinks they are right and everyone else wrong?

agree...his plea date was April...hence...now that he entered plea has to get the immigration thing worked through...is what it is and no fault of anyone other than slow court system

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

He should have taken care of the DUI before this April. It happened 610 days ago. No DUI = No problem. It isn't an immigration issue, it's a DUI issue. 

Folks want to say it's everyone except Lawler's fault, but that's just making excuses. No it's not his agents fault for not taking care of it for him. No, it's not the Bombers fault for not taking care of it for him. No, it's not the PA's fault for not warning him. All he had to do was google "dui canada border" and he would have found out what to do.

The whole situation is totally Lawler's fault for getting a DUI and not taking care of things way back in October 2021.

No one is saying otherwise, lol.

Of course it's Lawler's fault. The current issue is an immigration issue. A person does not get to decide how long the justice system takes.

A player does hire an agent to know these details. The Bombers should have also looked into this before signing him - because it is a teams responsibility to do their due diligence on incoming players. 

You're just arguing semantics at this point. Literally no one has tried to absolve Lawler of anything.

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

agree...his plea date was April...hence...now that he entered plea has to get the immigration thing worked through...is what it is and no fault of anyone other than slow court system

Who knows, that sounds like an extraordinary delay, his lawyer could have postponed the trial multiple times due to Lawler living in AB, plus COVID.  I don't think it's a coincidence the trial only occurred once he moved back to MB.  When do driving suspensions begin, after the accident or after the conviction?  That may be a possible reason to procrastinate as long as possible.

39 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Who knows, that sounds like an extraordinary delay, his lawyer could have postponed the trial multiple times due to Lawler living in AB, plus COVID.  I don't think it's a coincidence the trial only occurred once he moved back to MB.  When do driving suspensions begin, after the accident or after the conviction?  That may be a possible reason to procrastinate as long as possible.

Suspension is immediate.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Was that an option?

You think a guy can just dictate when his thing is processed through the justice system?

It's still an immigration issue at this point. That it's related to his guilty pleasure doesn't change that fact.

Don't you ever get tired of being a Bomber shill? 

You think it takes more than 19 months to get a hearing for a DUI? 

You think Lawler told the Bombers before they signed him that his DUI was still outstanding & that the Bombers didn't do anything about it?

You think Lawler is the only import to get a DUI in Canada?

I don't think any of those things are true. The DUI is the reason for Lawler's immigration problem & the media should report it that way. No DUI... No Problem.

18 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You think Lawler told the Bombers before they signed him that his DUI was still outstanding & that the Bombers didn't do anything about it?

I don't think any of those things are true. The DUI is the reason for Lawler's immigration problem & the media should report it that way. No DUI... No Problem.

It seems one might be excessively defensive when they vehemently deny something. The famous line, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks," captures this sentiment quite well. Can we please steer the conversation back to discussing football? Is this kind of talk that this forum is actually intended for?

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

He should have taken care of the DUI before this April. It happened 610 days ago. No DUI = No problem. It isn't an immigration issue, it's a DUI issue. 

Folks want to say it's everyone except Lawler's fault, but that's just making excuses. No it's not his agents fault for not taking care of it for him. No, it's not the Bombers fault for not taking care of it for him. No, it's not the PA's fault for not warning him. All he had to do was google "dui canada border" and he would have found out what to do.

The whole situation is totally Lawler's fault for getting a DUI and not taking care of things way back in October 2021.

You can't plea anything until you get in front of a judge.  And yes, the delays in Manitoba with prosecutions are that long.

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

There's been like 20 criminal cases tossed right out in Manitoba this year because they haven't been heard at all within 2 years.  Prosecutions in Manitoba are a mess right now.  The government is trying to get tough on crime while actively going to war with the prosecutors on wages and working conditions. 

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Yes, sometimes it takes years for a trial or hearing- dui or other. 

No dui no problem, agreed, but unless you got a time machine somewhere..... 

He has an immigration problem at the moment that is why he is suspended. Your bitching about what the media is accurately reporting is the crux of the issue here. See I'm not shilling for the Bombers or Lawler, simply explaining why you are once again wrong with your piping hot takes.

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

No one is saying otherwise, lol.

Of course it's Lawler's fault. The current issue is an immigration issue. A person does not get to decide how long the justice system takes.

A player does hire an agent to know these details. The Bombers should have also looked into this before signing him - because it is a teams responsibility to do their due diligence on incoming players. 

You're just arguing semantics at this point. Literally no one has tried to absolve Lawler of anything.

I have. Damn cops

You should write a letter.

For real though, I know of at least 1 person who had a dui and accident that resulted in death.....They're still walking the streets and waiting on the court date 14 months in.

Edited by Bigblue204

7 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Was that an option?

You think a guy can just dictate when his thing is processed through the justice system?

It's still an immigration issue at this point. That it's related to his guilty pleasure doesn't change that fact.

Is it an immigration issue though?

He isn't immigrating though.  This is more a Canadian Border Services Agency issues. 

popcorn-eating.gif

15 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

One year from the time of the accident?  That hardly makes sense if he hasn't been convicted yet.

My brother was caught with impaired a few years back and his suspension was immediate.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

Just want to throw in since I know people who work at the courts,  they are MASSIVELY backed up because of COVID so it would not surprise me that everything has taken this long. 

My sister in law is a crown attorney and they are so far behind they have begun dismissing cases outright to clear the backload because if they don't people will walk due to the failure to provide justice in a timely manner. A lot of people on summary charges are getting free walks right now if they take the time to plead not guilty. Crowns and courts don't have the time to deal with it. If you get a traffic ticket right now plead not guilty, good chance they will drop the charges.

9 hours ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Is it an immigration issue though?

He isn't immigrating though.  This is more a Canadian Canada Border Services Agency issues. 

Yes, it is. At least in part.

He's a foreign national. He is a subject to IRPA and its regulations - same as any other foreign national who seeks entry into Canada. In Lawler's case, he is authorized entry as a temporary resident with a work permit.

CBSA enforces IRPA at ports of entry across the country.

Pretty much anyone who even half follows football knows this is a work visa issue, stemming from a DUI...so really its moot....it's basically now an immigration/work visa issue...The DUI portion is done...over with....moot

31 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The DUI is the reason, it should be in the headline, not buried in the story. It's like saying someone who murdered someone has a legal issue. 

It was at the time. It has since evolved. While it is the reason for the story, it is no longer the story.