Manitoba Politics

Wideleft

3 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Really? Have they done that before with someone else? Do you have an example I could see?

Google?  They have dozens and dozens of articles about gender identity and cultural self identification.   You find me one article in which they present the story of someone self identifying as something other then biologically what they were born as in a negative light.   Every article I've read is in a positive light which isn't necessarily a bad thing for the most part but in certain situations (such as the controversial shops teacher who identified as a female and came to school wearing a completely in appropriate outfit and body suit)  that I find ridiculous.  

Long and skinny of it,  Klein can self identify as Metis and CBC shouldn't be investigating or putting him in a negative spotlight because that goes against what they normally do.    If he were to do that then shouldn't they criticize everyone and anyone else who identifies as a different gender as well?  It's a double standard.   CBC should be reporting the news and allow the public to form their own opinion and shouldn't be slanting a news story for their own agenda.   

I'm sure the vast majority of the public can see through Klein's lame attempt similar to when Brian Bowman used the Metis card.   We don't need the CBC to go on a hunt to try to bring the guy down.   

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Google?  They have dozens and dozens of articles about gender identity and cultural self identification.   You find me one article in which they present the story of someone self identifying as something other then biologically what they were born as in a negative light.   Every article I've read is in a positive light which isn't necessarily a bad thing for the most part but in certain situations (such as the controversial shops teacher who identified as a female and came to school wearing a completely in appropriate outfit and body suit)  that I find ridiculous.  

Long and skinny of it,  Klein can self identify as Metis and CBC shouldn't be investigating or putting him in a negative spotlight because that goes against what they normally do.    If he were to do that then shouldn't they criticize everyone and anyone else who identifies as a different gender as well?  It's a double standard.   CBC should be reporting the news and allow the public to form their own opinion and shouldn't be slanting a news story for their own agenda.   

I'm sure the vast majority of the public can see through Klein's lame attempt similar to when Brian Bowman used the Metis card.   We don't need the CBC to go on a hunt to try to bring the guy down.   

Siri - What is the difference between apples and oranges?

30 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Siri - What is the difference between apples and oranges?

Both groups biologically are one thing and mentally believe they are something else,  that isn't apples and oranges.    You can't pick and choose what is allowed and what is not when people self identify as something that they are biologically not.  

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Both groups biologically are one thing and mentally believe they are something else,  that isn't apples and oranges.    You can't pick and choose what is allowed and what is not when people self identify as something that they are biologically not.  

Siri - Would I benefit from a gender studies course?  How about Indigenous Studies?

Just now, Wideleft said:

Siri - Would I benefit from a gender studies course?  How about Indigenous Studies?

Gender is not biological, that's sex. Gender is a social construct. 

55 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes, ask for an example and it will go quiet very quickly or the always popular, whataboutism. 

Rinse, repeat. 

58 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Where was your fake outrage when CBC ran a story like this on Sherri Rollins a few years go?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/sherri-rollins-councillor-identity-1.4916951

And let the Google record show (since that seems to be your answer for finding evidence), that CBC, along with the Free Press, National Post, CTV, Global and the Winnipeg Sun (amongst others) are all covering this.  This is not just some CBC witch hunt.

48 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I did look and all I can find are stories that shine a negative light on cultural appropriation and faking indigenous heritage (as an example - Outrage brewing after U of S and CIHR support professor who falsely claimed to be Indigenous | CBC News)

Do you not think it is the job of news organizations to check the claims made by politicians? They clearly caught someone faking something that has been falsely used to gain support for the individual and the party. I think that is news doing what news should be doing. I don't see how it is slanting anything.

I also can't seem to find a CBC story on the shop teacher wearing a bodysuit. I find stories from National Post obviously and I know the incident you're talking about, but I can't find any CBC article on it, so I can't see where you get your evidence that they are endorsing that. I'm guessing you are just assigning CBC what you think is the "liberal perspective", but I remain open to you finding an article to prove me wrong.

It seems more that you have an issue with people who don't feel they fit into their birth sex or gender. I'm not sure how you see that as such a big slight to be on the same level as cultural appropriation and falsely claiming an identity to win political support.

36 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The issue isn't that Klein "believes he is something else", it is that he and the party are falsely using the identity to gain power.

4 hours ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

@Brandon As a fun exercise, can you define what "woke" means?

Yes I second that. Plz describe what woke means cuz I woke up today

Do ppl think that a bunch of Metis folks are gonna go vote pc now cuz Klein is saying he's Metis now? I'll tell you right now, it's irrelevant. Metis ppl will 1. Vote who they feel best represents them and 2. Will not vote for a dude just cuz he's metis otherwise Robert Falcon Ouelette would be more important than he is. My lake is full of metis, they don't give a **** If u are white metis purple or blue. 

There's conservatives and democrats and even some liberals of every shape size color and nationality. Klein is part metis? Cool. It's irrelevant but cool 

Provincial politics is cyclical here in MB. Cons get to run things a bit then it's ndps turn then its cons turn then ndp so in the end it's all just irrelevant bulshit. We don't have a relevant 3rd option here. 

Do liberals even have party status here? I don't believe they do. 

Mb needs a 3rd party and not a quack alt right or alt left party.. just a normal party who represents all Manitobans or atleast the majority. Call it the Riel Party. Stop pandering to vocal minority niche groups who don't matter in the end, and start to ignore them again. MB can do this, we could be great again. Yeah I know but it's a good slogan cuz we were great at one point. 3rd largest city in Canada no. 

Right now I'm probably not voting in the election but if I do I'm leaning conservative right now because their bulshit promises make more sense to me currently but historically I've voted ndp Provincially 

Edited by Goalie

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Wideleft said:

As a liquor drinker in the city, I have to disagree.  

When I grew up in the rurals, I knew more than a few "outlets" for "hard liquor".

Fair comment. It does suck in the city.

Yeah, there is less selection these days, but I can still get decent scotch & rye for my coke. 

I was in Moosejaw a couple weeks ago. Private liquor all over, good for competitive pricing and consumer choice I'm told... the selection sucked and the cost of beer was ridiculous. $38 for a 15 case of Original 16, brewed and canned right there in Saskatchewan, when that same case sells publicly for $26 a province over in Manitoba. Help me figure that one out.

26 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I was in Moosejaw a couple weeks ago. Private liquor all over, good for competitive pricing and consumer choice I'm told... the selection sucked and the cost of beer was ridiculous. $38 for a 15 case of Original 16, brewed and canned right there in Saskatchewan, when that same case sells publicly for $26 a province over in Manitoba. Help me figure that one out.

Yup.  People point to Alberta as this great panacea for cheap competitive prices.  

Simply does not apply in tourism towns like Canmore, Drumheller etc.