The RIP 2023 Thread

TrueBlue4ever

On 2023-08-24 at 7:02 PM, Goalie said:

Heart attack.  Got covid. Effected under lying heart problems. Had heart attack and died. RIP 

I never liked Bray Wyatt's persona or what he did on the mic with his Firefly Funhouse. There was rumours he was coming back & I just thought, great he cuts these great rambling nonsensical promos & then loses at almost every pay per view he's on. Like the WWE was just killing his character slowly. The guy was such a talented well rounded wrestler but the WWE had no idea what to do with him. Now to hear he died at age 36 from complications of Covid 19 with a damaged heart is both tragic & sad. RIP William Lawrence Rotunda. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Can not believe he was still alive.....

I first got to know Bob Barker in junior high coming home & watching him host Truth Or Consequences back in 1969. I don't remember what the game was about but it was entertaining. I think he asked contestants a question. They had something like 3 seconds to answer if the question was a truth or a consequence. If they were right then there were two drapes named Truth or Consequences & they received whatever was behind the drape. Sometime it was a huge prize like a new car or something small like a blender. Something like that. Looooong time ago. 

December 31 – Bob Barker makes his TV debut as host of the game show Truth  or Consequences. | Tv show games, Truth or consequences, Old time radio

Revisiting Truth or Consequences with Bob Barker - YouTube

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Christ. Really does come in 3. 

Terry Funk. Bray Wyatt and now wwe hall of famer Bob Barker. 

Funk b4 My time. Wyatt was ok, not a huge fan honestly but still pretty brutal. Smackdown last night was tough. 

Bob Barker tho, greatest raw guest host ever  

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Funk b4 My time. Wyatt was ok, not a huge fan honestly but still pretty brutal. Smackdown last night was tough. 

Funk would have fit into the blood & gore ECW run by Paul Heyman in the 90's. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

make that 4 (I hope to god that Mark Hamill is healthy right now)

Edited by iHeart

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He would have been pretty old by then. Man, some of the bumps those guys were willing to take.. Bats wrapped barbed wire. Jumping off structures 30 feet off the ground. The fans were bloodthirsty. 

He was an ECW OG.  He won their championship on their first ever PPV in 1997 at the age of 53.

He certainly changed his style as he got older.  He had more of a traditional style earlier in his career and went more hardcore as he aged & wasn't able to move as well.

36 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Funk would have fit into the blood & gore ECW run by Paul Heyman in the 90's. 

Yes he did but being in Canada  ecw wasn't really available on TV. 

Barely legal tho. He beat raven for the ecw title 

Edited by Goalie

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Yes he did but being in Canada  ecw wasn't really available on TV. 

Barely legal tho. He beat raven for the ecw title 

I've watched wrestling for a long time but I was never into that bloody style of pro wrestling that ECW was about back then. Steve Austin & Chris Jerico also wrestled for Heyman in ECW.  I don't like a lot of the gymnasic moves you see now where the wrestler about to receive a bump just stays in position until the blow is delivered, It seems to me the AWA & WWWF oldtimers back in the 70's & 80's seemed to have better timing & sold the moves a lot better. Today, it's all about kicks to the head or what Finn Balor does coming off the top rope jumping on an opponent's stomach. Or high flying spots. I guess that's what the fans want so the wrestlers give it to them. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

56 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I've watched wrestling for a long time but I was never into that bloody style of pro wrestling that ECW was about back then. Steve Austin & Chris Jerico also wrestled for Heyman in ECW.  I don't like a lot of the gymnasic moves you see now where the wrestler about to receive a bump just stays in position until the blow is delivered, It seems to me the AWA & WWWF oldtimers back in the 70's & 80's seemed to have better timing & sold the moves a lot better. Today, it's all about kicks to the head or what Finn Balor does coming off the top rope jumping on an opponent's stomach. Or high flying spots. I guess that's what the fans want so the wrestlers give it to them. 

Should probably meet be this to the wrestling thread but ECW had everything, not just the hardcore stuff.  The hardcore stuff definitely differentiated them from other companies but so did bringing in Lucha guys and giving "smaller" guys a chance (Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero for example).  They changed wrestling in North America.

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Should probably meet be this to the wrestling thread but ECW had everything, not just the hardcore stuff.  The hardcore stuff definitely differentiated them from other companies but so did bringing in Lucha guys and giving "smaller" guys a chance (Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero for example).  They changed wrestling in North America.

Before ECW, the WCW had a Cruiserweight Division where Eddie & Chavo Guerrero wrestled. As did Chris Jerico, Juventud Guerrra, Dean Malenko, Psychosis, Billy Kidman, Rey Mysterio & others.. There was high flying action. The WWF (at the time) preferred the bigger wrestlers. The smaller performers seldom made the roster. The Guerreros, Dean Malenko, Kidman, Rey Mysterio & jericho all had success in WWF.

7 hours ago, iHeart said:

make that 4 (I hope to god that Mark Hamill is healthy right now)

I just remember her as the quirky "Calliope" on Days of our Lives - when I got hooked on watching it during university.  I believe she was involved on that show with the guy who go on to play "Q" on Star Trek.....

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Before ECW, the WCW had a Cruiserweight Division where Eddie & Chavo Guerrero wrestled. As did Chris Jerico, Juventud Guerrra, Dean Malenko, Psychosis, Billy Kidman, Rey Mysterio & others.. There was high flying action. The WWF (at the time) preferred the bigger wrestlers. The smaller performers seldom made the roster. The Guerreros, Dean Malenko, Kidman, Rey Mysterio & jericho all had success in WWF.

Nope, ECW was first for most of those guys, then they went to WCW. 

Benoit did work for WCW for a couple months in 1993 before going to ECW in 1994 while Kidman never worked ECW.  

Benoit, Eddie and Malenko all jumped to WCW at the same time in 1995.  Psicosis came/left ECW later that same year.

Rey was ECW late 95 to early 96.

Jericho & Juventud were both in ECW in 1996.

WCW didn't do much with their smaller guys until mid-1996 when Bischoff saw what ECW was doing.  He changed the name from the WCW light heavyweight weight division to the cruiserweight division and started signing those guys away.  Prior to that, their light heavyweight title had been inactive since 1992.

WWE was no different, it wasn't until others had success with guys who weren't the huge guys we were used to seeing, that they realized there was money to be made there.

Edited by bigg jay